Australia Looking For Foreign Truck Drivers

More in the Ex-pat section;

Foreign truckies brought to Australia

13jul06

FOREIGN truckies and farmhands could be brought to Australia under a plan to open the guest-worker program to semi-skilled workers.

According to The Australian newspaper, the Immigration Department is reviewing the system of classifying occupations covered by the skilled migration program, to address chronic labour shortages, and is under pressure from employer groups to extend the program to semi-skilled workers.
The department has confirmed it is negotiating with the Australian Trucking Association over a proposal to bring qualified heavy truck drivers and diesel mechanics to Australia on a temporary basis, the paper said.

The workers would enter Australia on temporary migration visas under the terms of a special labour agreement.

The department of immigration and multicultural affairs maintained that Australia did not operate an unskilled guest-worker program, but conceded there was pressure for such a scheme from industry.

Opposition Leader Kim Beazley said he was not opposed to proper migration, but any attempt to bring in workers to drive down wages or take the jobs of Australian workers was “not on”, according to The Australian

Tell them to advertise in Poland theyve got ■■■■ loads of spare drivers, no wait a minute tell them to advertise in a British newspaper but in Polish theyll get a bigger response.

do they pay travelling expenses .if so give me a bell could always try it for a month :smiley: free holiday

Sounds interesting!! Any idea of which costs are covered and how you can contact the Australian companies interested in truck drivers?

Everybody out. last one out turn the light off.

Seriously, if they paid for the expenses, put my name down. :smiley: I’ll bet they don’t :unamused:

DITTO. We can all see a Winters break coming up… :laughing:

australia-migration.com/page … ts_457/307

Basically search “Visa 457 Australia”
Australia’s largest trucking company Toll, www.toll.com.au are the ones pushing for this.
They refuse to pay a fair pay for a fair days work and 100% REFUSE to train anyone,so make up your own mind on what they are like as an employer.

yeh, but they cant play cricket.

Just locking house and nipping out for a barby

Warrior:
yeh, but they cant play cricket.

Emm i think youll find they can and very well too…

(SUBNOTE Yes i know we dont either so no need for that old chestnut).

Well actually we do but not very well.

i need aholiday

This is fantastic news for the backpackers of Australia. Just what they need - more murderers let loose in the bush.

VirtuosoRusty How do you make that out…? Murder hasn`t been mentioned ; Except by you. Have you something you want to share with us:?:

I think Virtuorusty was reffering to was Ivan Milat,called a truck driver by the press but a council worker-so it looks good in the media ,who knocked of a few backpackers and buried them in the bush.
Ivan Milat is a Croation/Serb.

I see. The media also called Elvis Presley an ex- truck driver but it was really a bread van. It stands to reason. You cant be good at everything. Presley was good at singin. & the Crote was good at bush-whacking…Stands to reason. :laughing:

sounds like ivan milat was “more of a scrote” as my old dad would have said

But you can`t say that on here, Bish…? :laughing:

When I used to load out of News Inter at Wapping a few years ago, one of the forkies was a fellow Jock so naturally i got talking to him. Well tried to. Just couldn’t get anything going with this bloke and he had this intense look about him. Later I was told he hated all drivers because it always seemed to be drivers abducting kids. I never got the chance to ask him direct if this was true and if he’d suffered some loss himself which would be understandable to a point. What’s your story Virtouso?