Auckland New Zeland

Sometime next year I’ve decided to make a move to New Zeland. Initially for 12 months to try it (as long as I can drive on a British licence after I’ve passed their theory test anyway) and maybe make it permanant. I’m ok on the visa/red tape side. What I’m really after are what are the main types of work in the Auckland area (I’ve e-mailed some transport companys - having looked through the yellow pages and local papers jobs seem fairly numerous but the wages arn’t stated), what sort of wages are their, and what are my prospects of finding employment as an English driver (little or none without experience)?

Many Thanks

Ian.

An English Driver I met over here, finally had enough, moved back to England to drive, had enough of that, then moved to NZ to drive, after several months he had enough of that too, and last I heard was back in the UK, but planning on moving to Spain I think. I guess wherever you go the grass is not always as green as you think it going to be.

Anyway, his name is Doug King, he has written to T&D several times offering advice and what a driver might expect when coming from the UK to either the USA or NZ, he has even had them publish his phone number. So look back through some older issues you may find it (I can’t remember which issues they were), he will give you some pointers on driving in NZ (from a British perspective at least). I have an address for him, but don’t know if it current, you can e mail me and I will give it to you.

There used to be a Kiwi driver on this forum when we had the old site, but I guess he can’t find us anymore.

How did you go about sorting out all the legal side??What was involved etc?? :open_mouth:

Thanks Cliff, I don;t get T&D or any of the mags but I’ll buy a copy, give their office a ring and see if I can get the appropriate back issues. I’ll post on here about the legal side when I’ve managed find the paperwork and got all my facts straight :wink: (sorry but it needs a bit of thinking about).