Attention users of older Satnavs

Some older satnavs may stop working properly (or even at all) after 6th April. The reason is due to the way week numbers are stored and calculated. Some may need an update to work normally, others might not be able to be updated. I’ve got several knocking around, and one of them (a previous generation TomTom Rider motorcycle device) falls into the latter group…

If you have a TomTom device you might want to go to uk.support.tomtom.com and enter your unit’s serial number to see how it will be impacted.

I’ve still got my 1st generation TomTom laying about somewhere. Few years back went to update it and found maps were huge for the amount of memory it had…I found a good few farm tracks and dead ends with that one, then realised it wasn’t the technology but the person using it…[emoji849][emoji23]

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

It’s been on other forums, and the reckoning is bit like the y2k, millennium bug, a load of scaremongering, and an attempt by the sat-nav company’s to make people by new units.

biggriffin:
It’s been on other forums, and the reckoning is bit like the y2k, millennium bug, a load of scaremongering, and an attempt by the sat-nav company’s to make people by new units.

To be fair, by far the most likely issue will simply be that the thing stops being able to show the correct time/date, and is similarly unable to provide an ETA (or anything else based on knowing the current time/date). Whether this causes further issues is entirely dependent on the manufacturer firmware.

didn’t realise was 1st april already

biggriffin:

A lot like Brexit then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

biggriffin:

To be fair, by far the most likely issue will simply be that the thing stops being able to show the correct time/date, and is similarly unable to provide an ETA (or anything else based on knowing the current time/date). Whether this causes further issues is entirely dependent on the manufacturer firmware.

I use an old Snooper that has never been updated and in fact still shows the now non existent roundabouts on the A1. About a month ago it started displaying the wrong date and time (one hour ahead) and will simply not let me change it.

the maoster:

Roymondo:

biggriffin:

I use an old Snooper that has never been updated and in fact still shows the now non existent roundabouts on the A1. About a month ago it started displaying the wrong date and time (one hour ahead) and will simply not let me change it.

My mates done this too. And the year is something like 2099 and not 2019. He called Shopper and they’ve said it’s some software fault that will be rectified in a future update but it’s not priority as it’s not stopping the device from doing it’s job.

They did say that as it’s an old unit he may wish to upgrade in which case call them as they’ll offer a part-ex on his current one for a new one.

Isn’t this simply more deliberate in-built obsolescence.

Lifetime updates a major selling point, but no mention made of the cut off point that was built in at design stage, entirely coincidental you understand.

As long as the maps work thats all you need ,date and time is irrelevant they appear on your tacho or a watch if you wear one,push come shove ask somebody the date or time. Try telling your Missus or girlfriend you missed her birthday or anniversary because your tacho is corrupt :laughing: :laughing:

It’s only likely to affect pre 99 models, who is still using one of those? :laughing:

Stussy:
It’s only likely to affect pre 99 models, who is still using one of those? :laughing:

ME, about once a year when I don’t know where i’m going.

I updated my old Go 730 yesterday and a new system and new western Europe map was installed.

The only thing I’ve noticed is that if I try to set a route for a fixed time it won’t let me fix a time for after December 1971, just as well I never use that feature :grimacing:

Anyway thanks Roymondo, I wasn’t aware of this problem until I saw your post.

Stussy:

Me, apparently!

Stussy:

So Stussy tell me when did you meet my wife? :open_mouth:

Juddian:
Isn’t this simply more deliberate in-built obsolescence.

Lifetime updates a major selling point, but no mention made of the cut off point that was built in at design stage, entirely coincidental you understand.

Seems people need to read the small print more often, yes i know, we’ve all been guilty of not doing so, myself included…

*Lifetime means the useful life of the device, i.e. the period of time TomTom supports your device with updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X704F using Tapatalk