Attention DAF XF owners/drivers

Any of you guys on here know where the 24 volt main live feed is on these units? I may be answering my own question here but looking at the fuse panel I’ve noticed a rather thick red wire to the left hand side of the fuse panel. Is this the one as I want to wire in a kettle which draws 16 amps.

Also does anyone know where the dropper is located and what sort of current will it deliver?

The unit is a 2007 105.

Thick red will be the positive feed from the battery and thick black the negative feed.
Is the kettle 24v or 12v? if it is 24v just stick a 20amp fuse in the fuse box and plug the kettle in the cigarette lighter socket

bubsy06:
Thick red will be the positive feed from the battery and thick black the negative feed.
Is the kettle 24v or 12v? if it is 24v just stick a 20amp fuse in the fuse box and plug the kettle in the cigarette lighter socket

and don’t forget to change the wiring from the fuse board to the ■■■ lighter socket to a higher amp rated one :unamused:

oh, and the main neg feed into the fuse board is usually white, the same as the lights main feeds in the fuse board are yellow

shuttlespanker:
and don’t forget to change the wiring from the fuse board to the ■■■ lighter socket to a higher amp rated one :unamused:

It can handle 20amp, just because the default fuse is rated at 15amp it does not mean the wire is rated at 15amp.

bubsy06:

shuttlespanker:

It can handle 20amp, just because the default fuse is rated at 15amp it does not mean the wire is rated at 15amp.

you sure the fuse is rated at 15 amp?

it is normally only 7.5 or at the most 10 amp, anything above that has usually been changed by the driver (current or previous)

if its a 24v kettle, it will run off the power sockets in the cab

shuttlespanker:

bubsy06:

shuttlespanker:

it is normally only 7.5 or at the most 10 amp, anything above that has usually been changed by the driver (current or previous)

Soz too many beers, dont know where I got 15 from :laughing:
The wire will handle 20amp without issues, plus most items that use a cigarette lighter socket also have another fuse built into the 12/24v plug.

Thanks for the replies lads but to be honest I want to ‘hard wire’ the kettle as I once had a cigar lighter plug on the kettle & melted the plug & socket on a Merc Actros due to the connection not being the greatest. I once wired it into the Anderson clip on the Merc whilst I was with Wncnt*n but they saw their ■■■ over it :unamused:

Regarding the fuse it’s rated at 15 amps but as Shuttlespanker says the wiring from the fuse box to the 24 volt socket does not seem enough to cope with the relevant current drain.

paulfromwire:
Thanks for the replies lads but to be honest I want to ‘hard wire’ the kettle as I once had a cigar lighter plug on the kettle & melted the plug & socket on a Merc Actros due to the connection not being the greatest. I once wired it into the Anderson clip on the Merc whilst I was with Wncnt*n but they saw their ■■■ over it :unamused:

TBH it would be easier just to use a gas stove and kettle, you have got all the messing about wiring it in and the 24v kettles aint the quickest to heat up.

bubsy06:

paulfromwire:

TBH it would be easier just to use a gas stove and kettle, you have got all the messing about wiring it in and the 24v kettles aint the quickest to heat up.

I know what you’re saying matey but I may have perfected the art in brewing up at 56 mph :wink:

paulfromwire:
I know what you’re saying matey but I may have perfected the art in brewing up at 56 mph :wink:

:open_mouth: :laughing:
Just buy some cabling that your happy with and wire it in to fuse box or straight to battery, stick a 20amp fuse in the postive cable and either connect the wire to the kettle with a terminal block or stick a 24v socket on and connect using the kettles 24v plug

bubsy06:

shuttlespanker:

bubsy06:

shuttlespanker:

Soz too many beers, dont know where I got 15 from :laughing:
The wire will handle 20amp without issues, plus most items that use a cigarette lighter socket also have another fuse built into the 12/24v plug.

now, you’re getting the amps and volts confused, just because it is a 24 volt item, it can still draw more amps than the wiring will take and melt the wiring before it blows the fuse

Grab a link of the microwave wiring - two big purple relays on the top of the fuse board power the microwave wiring which runs up to the center top locker - if you fish around the left side you will find it
i beleive its rated to 60 amps
cheers
Steve

gm:
Grab a link of the microwave wiring - two big purple relays on the top of the fuse board power the microwave wiring which runs up to the center top locker - if you fish around the left side you will find it
i beleive its rated to 60 amps
cheers
Steve

the wiring is only in the XF95 Superspace cab, not in the 105 (unless specced from new), also, they are orange 40 amp fuses in the fusebox

shuttlespanker:

bubsy06:

shuttlespanker:

24 Volt socket in a DAF XF is rated at 15 amps, 12 volt socket is 5 amps.

shuttlespanker:
the wiring is only in the XF95 Superspace cab, not in the 105 (unless specced from new), also, they are orange 40 amp fuses in the fusebox

The wiring is there on the 105 Spacecab (well,it is on mine,59 plate, and my boss would never spec microwave wiring :unamused: ),but it is behind the lockers.You have to drop the lockers down by removing the 4 mounting bolts,then drill a hole through the bottom left rear corner of the locker and pass the wires through.The wires are only just long enough to reach into the locker.

i always use my gas stove and kettle since i melted the 24v hella in my (then) brand new cf space cab. The 24v was rated at 15 amp and the kettle was also 15 amp so it should have been fine.

take out lower n/s dash panels, theres an 8mm positive stud, use wire that can handle the current and make sure you fuse it, its a job we used to do on sales prep for new Jack Richards XF105s. We ran it to a household socket in the tray in the centre and put a 3 pin plug on the kettle.

Can sort it if you want, PM for details.

Many thanks for all the replies guys, my tools are in the car for tomorrows exploits :slight_smile: