Attendance pay

Company I work for have decided. To give.us a pay rise commencing 1st of October.

And also a monthly attendance bonus of £100 a month.
Is this attendance bonus tax free?

Personally I don’t get why company’s pay you an attendce bonus just for turning up for work on time and doing your job which your paid for.

Personally I’d of preferred an extra 5 days holiday a year

No, it’s not tax free. It’s subject to tax the same as the rest of your wages.

They pay a bonus simply because a bonus can be rescinded at any time they please, whereas a wage rise is much more difficult to claw back.

Can’t add anything to what Maoster has said about it really.

But yeah like you I’d prefer stuff other than money especially when you’re going to lose and absolute minimum of 33.5% of it soon plus pension contributions shaved off it to so you’ll end up with maybe £60.

With my business head on though, on the surface its £1200 a year for, as you say, turning up. Translate that into five days holiday instead. I don’t know what you’re days wages is but say fir arguments sakes it’s £150 per day pre deductions so as an average holiday pay that is £750 of that £1200 getting paid to you. To make it cost neutral that then means that they’ve got the remaining £450 left to cover your five days worth of work in which isn’t going to happen so it would end up costing more than the bonus.

That’s the crux of it. While it sounds nice ultimately it’s not a lot, and if they went down the holiday route and wanted it to cost the same you might get an extra three days maximum which just sounds skanky.

My lot are doing £50p/w now until Christmas.

Can’t complain. As getting £3 hr pay rise. Plus £100 attendance. bonus.
Which think they brought in because few drivers always go off sick and always come in 5 10 mind late every day…
As said end day your paid to do a job start on time. Not be paid bonuses to do it.

Do they pay you when off sick, if so i suspect they have problems with professional sick notes who drop them in the mire at regular intervals.
In some ways i applaud this and wish my lot would do the same, reward the reliable instead of the lead swingers, no it shouldn’t be needed but there we are.

Juddian:
Do they pay you when off sick, if so i suspect they have problems with professional sick notes who drop them in the mire at regular intervals.
In some ways i applaud this and wish my lot would do the same, reward the reliable instead of the lead swingers, no it shouldn’t be needed but there we are.

Here you go, take your 5 days a year extra holiday and forego your attendance bonus. Everybody wins! :smiley: :smiling_imp: :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, bonuses don’t count towards calculating holiday pay and pensions contributions.

Worryingly for me, our place has introduced a ‘driver retention bonus’ which they say is tax free. And according to our payslips it seems that way too, but I can’t understand how they work it. I’ve asked for an explanation but so far not heard anything. I’m getting worried that I’m going to end up with a sudden tax deduction (or worse) that will destroy a couple of weeks wages.

LazyDriver:

Juddian:

Here you go, take your 5 days a year extra holiday and forego your attendance bonus. Everybody wins! :smiley: :smiling_imp: :stuck_out_tongue:

Sadly thats how some looked at the sick pay (and whay so many companies don’t pay people not to work), regular always the same faces sick notes taking an extra two or three weeks holiday annually on full sick pay, plus the couldn’t be arsed on the day mob and the don’t want the run i’m planned shysters.

WhiteTruckMan:
Worryingly for me, our place has introduced a ‘driver retention bonus’ which they say is tax free. And according to our payslips it seems that way too, but I can’t understand how they work it. I’ve asked for an explanation but so far not heard anything. I’m getting worried that I’m going to end up with a sudden tax deduction (or worse) that will destroy a couple of weeks wages.

There’s no chance that it’s tax free. The only possibility is if they are paying the tax for you and only quoting the Net. But that’s not how it should be reported on your payslip.

However, it’s not your problem. If you’re PAYE it’s only the employer that can ever be liable to pay your tax bill.

Juddian:

LazyDriver:

Juddian:

Sadly thats how some looked at the sick pay (and whay so many companies don’t pay people not to work), regular always the same faces sick notes taking an extra two or three weeks holiday annually on full sick pay, plus the couldn’t be arsed on the day mob and the don’t want the run i’m planned shysters.

During my Post Office days, the ‘lifers’ had a motto, ‘I’ll take my sick when I’m well enough to enjoy it’! It was the perceived wisdom of a time best forgotten. They truely believed sick pay was an extra holiday and used to keep track of their periods off to ensure they never had a ‘review’. (2 periods a year prompted one) also, 'if you’re have a day, take the week, it only counts as 1 period.

stu675:
If you’re PAYE it’s only the employer that can ever be liable to pay your tax bill.

I’d be very wary of that Stu, it’s simply not correct I’m afraid.

the maoster:

stu675:
If you’re PAYE it’s only the employer that can ever be liable to pay your tax bill.

I’d be very wary of that Stu, it’s simply not correct I’m afraid.

“If HMRC agree that the
employer or pension payer has made an error in good faith and they have a reasonable explanation,
then HMRC may direct that you should pay the under-deducted tax.”
I would not consider calling a payment anything in particular means thinking that it’s exempt from tax would qualify as an error in good faith.

(Sorry struggling to copy the link )

They are not paying the attendance bonus as a generous offer - its purpose is to keep ‘bums on seats’.
If they offered extra holiday instead that would have the opposite effect.

We are not suddenly being appreciated for the work we do.
We are being manipulated into keeping the wheels turning with as little temporary extra cost as possible.
The types of schemes they are offering prove the bosses are, as always, looking after their own needs.

Not many Companies can say they don`t have the usual one or two who can always be counted on to take p#ss,
We had a guy who was to sick to work but was OK once he had finished digging and laying the foundations for his extension,the give away was bringing his sick note in along with the mud on his boots and muddy trousers. Same as some conveniently become fit for returning to work when the six month sick pay is reduced to half.
Attending work 5-6 minutes late is neither here nor there, as we all know that can be made up, but not turning up or arriving on a Monday morning to late to take a scheduled run out because of having a “heavy night” in my opinion they deserve to lose any attendance bonus for that month.

ScaniaUltimate:
They are not paying the attendance bonus as a generous offer - its purpose is to keep ‘bums on seats’.
If they offered extra holiday instead that would have the opposite effect.

We are not suddenly being appreciated for the work we do.
We are being manipulated into keeping the wheels turning with as little temporary extra cost as possible.
The types of schemes they are offering prove the bosses are, as always, looking after their own needs.

Well said! Spot on. Hence all the bonuses everywhere and no actual pay rises. Most drivers aren’t bright enough to see the obvious scam in play though. They will when the bonuses stop, but by then it will be too late.

Worked at place once and fella when ever there was a midweek Manchester United game on the TV he always went off sick
The day after.
He eventually got caught.
So after next game day he rolled in looking worse for wear could smell the drink on him and he was sacked