Attendance bonus

two years ago we were given an attendance bonus of £2 a day paid anually as part of our wage rise . today they put up a notice saying that after the ‘trial’ they were amending this so if you have any time off sick you would loose a days wages, £2 attendance bonus and £50 of your already earned attendance bonus. this was never a trial so i ask is this legal can they fine you for having time off ? no wage rise for 2 years and now they are trying to take the last one off us all this for £315 gross a week

You could try giving ACAS a ring to check the situation. An old workmate of mine used to call them whenever he had this sort of problem and found them helpful.

I would have thought they couldnt do this either :open_mouth: , Try citizens advice too and see what they say.

Sounds like a nice company :open_mouth:

If you’re genuinely sick the company can stop the £2.00 daily attendance allowance but only for the days you’re absent from work. As for your stopping any pay for the period you’re sick then that would have been agreed when you originally took the job - some employers pay regardless, some pay a percentage, and some don’t pay at all.

Fining you £50.00 from money you’ve already earnt is illegal and quite dangerous, its encouraging you to work when you should otherwise be resting. For example, six months ago I thought I was suffering from a really bad case of indigestion, couldn’t understand why the Gaviscon wasn’t working. I had to take the day off work to go to the doctors (I wouldn’t have done if it was going to cost me £50.00), it turned out that I was having a heart attack! Had I not gone to the Doctors I would have continued at work whilst the problem got worse, what would have happened if I’d have had a fatal heart attack behind the wheel of a fully freighted artic?

My example may be extreme but consider this… You contract the flu and, over a period of time, start getting headaches, dizzy spells, coughing fits, and begin to lose concentration. What happens if you lose concentration on a busy motorway and succeed in killing someone for the sake of £50.00? A court would, no doubt, find you negligent. Read this post, ‘agency driver anger’, to see what punishment you and your employer could possibly receive.

I wonder what the Area Traffic Commissioner or Health & Safety would have to say about these working practises?

Furthermore, stopping your wage rises, when everyone else is getting them, is a form of discrimination and I’m sure its not legal!

My advice, IMHO, would be to encourage your colleagues to collectively throw the TM the keys for all the vehicles, at the start of the week, and tell him to ‘[zb] his job’! He can’t afford to have vehicles standing and may negotiate. You should make the TM aware that you might be able to claim ‘constructive dismissal’ against him for negligent working practises and, as a group, you’ll have more chance of success in a tribunal; I would definitely speak to ACAS!

When I used to work on wholesale markets, we collectively held the company to ransom, one Sunday evening. Eighteen vehicles, fully loaded with produce, going nowhere until a satisfactory agreement over pay was reached. What made it worse was that the TM was not authorised to make such decisions so all three Directors had to attend - they had all been at the wedding reception of one of the Directors’ daughters! And to add further insult to injury, this particular daughter was the person responsible for wages within the company - you should’ve read some of the bitchy comments she wrote onto our payslips that week!!!

If you’re genuinely sick the company can stop the £2.00 daily attendance allowance but only for the days you’re absent from work. As for your stopping any pay for the period you’re sick then that would have been agreed when you originally took the job - some employers pay regardless, some pay a percentage, and some don’t pay at all.

Fining you £50.00 from money you’ve already earnt is illegal and quite dangerous, its encouraging you to work when you should otherwise be resting. For example, six months ago I thought I was suffering from a really bad case of indigestion, couldn’t understand why the Gaviscon wasn’t working. I had to take the day off work to go to the doctors (I wouldn’t have done if it was going to cost me £50.00), it turned out that I was having a heart attack! Had I not gone to the Doctors I would have continued at work whilst the problem got worse, what would have happened if I’d have had a fatal heart attack behind the wheel of a fully freighted artic?

My example may be extreme but consider this… You contract the flu and, over a period of time, start getting headaches, dizzy spells, coughing fits, and begin to lose concentration. What happens if you lose concentration on a busy motorway and succeed in killing someone for the sake of £50.00? A court would, no doubt, find you negligent. Read this post, ‘agency driver anger’, to see what punishment you and your employer could possibly receive.

I wonder what the Area Traffic Commissioner or Health & Safety would have to say about these working practises?

Furthermore, stopping your wage rises, when everyone else is getting them, is a form of discrimination and I’m sure its not legal!

My advice, IMHO, would be to encourage your colleagues to collectively throw the TM the keys for all the vehicles and tell him to ‘[zb] his job’! He can’t afford to have vehicles standing and may negotiate. You should make the TM aware that you might be able to claim ‘constructive dismissal’ against him for negligent working practises and, as a group, you’ll have more chance of success in a tribunal; I would definitely speak to ACAS!

When I used to work on wholesale markets, we collectively held the company to ransom, one Sunday evening. Eighteen vehicles, fully loaded with produce, going nowhere until a satisfactory agreement over pay was reached. What made it worse was that the TM was not authorised to make such decisions so all three Directors had to attend - they had all been at the wedding reception of one of the Directors’ daughters! And to add further insult to injury, this particular daughter was the person responsible for wages within the company - you should’ve read some of the bitchy comments she wrote onto our payslips that week!!!

Brummie:
When I used to work on wholesale markets, we collectively held the company to ransom, one Sunday evening. Eighteen vehicles, fully loaded with produce, going nowhere until a satisfactory agreement over pay was reached. What made it worse was that the TM was not authorised to make such decisions so all three Directors had to attend - they had all been at the wedding reception of one of the Directors’ daughters!

What were you all doing working anyway? When our boss’s son got married the whole workforce was invited to the wedding and the reception :laughing:

Salut, David.

I don’t know what part of the world you’re in Andy but that money is ■■■■ that tells me all I need to know about how good your firm is.How long you been there?

brummie:

sheer class! i like it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It’s a shame that you full name is your e-mail address. :frowning:

Otherwise maybe you should name and shame the company concerned. :angry:

If I were in a similar position, I would be inclined to bite the bullett until the new year and then have a serious and concerted look for something else.
Then politely tell them where to put their £2.00 a day. Because they obviusly need it…