Attacked at night

Just read Coffee’s thread about research into cab security.

Was wondering how many of you guys have had your cabs broken into whilst you were sleeping.

Not directly what you are looking for, but have had one incident where a box was broken into after knocking me out with “gas” so I did’t hear anything… :open_mouth:

…and another where someone had a good go at my passenger door one night, but thankfully didn’t get in. Lock was knackered though. :unamused:

hows about one of those garage alarms that you can buy?

designed to go off incredibly loudly when the door opens without being disarmed from the inside. it’s the sort of thing that could be mounted on the cab roof, under the wind deflector or central enough to be out of sight from the ground if no deflector - and wired down. When you settle down for the night, arm it, and if anyone opens the door an alarm louder than a household burglar alarm goes off.

some maverick users for garage security have them set up with blank shotgun cartridges so there’s gunshots as well if the garage is broken into - dubbed shotgun mines :smiley: may be a bit provocative to the average modern day highwayman if they’re armed though.

for internal security I’m surprised firms don’t wire in a small micromark cctv unit (the size of a webcam) that can be connected discretely when parked up or even wireless these days, that simply changes channel on your in-cab telly if the PIR motion sensor is set off, and/or sets off a buzzer to awaken you if asleep (though not much use if gassed/drugged).

and in fact given the inexpensive and miniature nature of these items I’m surprised its not a manufacturer option for an internal PIR cctv as above linked to a pocket video recorder like archos make, again triggered to record if activated so even if the driver is incapacitated evidence is recorded. the units are tiny and could easily be built into the lining of a trailer I’d imagine?

look at this

protekdor.co.uk/kabgard.html

former driver john and possibly an old boss charly

LucyR:
Not directly what you are looking for, but have had one incident where a box was broken into after knocking me out with “gas” so I did’t hear anything… :open_mouth:

:confused: Wasn’t that the same evening that you’d had a particularly hot curry Lucy… :question: :smiley:

i`ve had the (normal) things like curtains slashed open back doors broke into,but luckily never anyone trying to get into the cab.

i forget who said it on here in another post but they tied the door handles together with rope whilst in a ruff area! good idea and simple i thought :grimacing:

never really paid much attention but what exactly ,and how do ,them yellow “driver security” devices work that go over the passenger windows.■■
has anyone got one or used one in the past?

hitch,you answered my question 7 minutes before i asked it!! i will have to learn to type faster :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

Never had any problems regarding anyone trying to get into the cab in 20 years of driving and parking overnight in some iffy places.

As regards the company who supply security equipment for cabs, they were linked with the research I questioned in this thread. Having a company who supplies equipment of this nature involved in the research surely means the published results have to be taken with a pinch of salt as it would be no good to them if the results showed attacks were less common. :wink: :smiley:

To my mind the window guards and door locks make the vehicle more noticeable and may raise the curiosity of someone and make them wonder what you have that you have gone to such elaborate security measures, thereby making you more of a target.

i knew a bloke once who used to tie ratchet straps between his doors while akip… the fool… he would have been zbd had there been a fire… think it was while i worked for city… :wink:

I was parked up down what they used to call the old persian gulf, where i parked was opposite a garage and well lit…about 0230 in the morning i woke up to see my curtains flapping about…so got up, grabbed the large bread knife and waited…sure enough a hand came in through the curtains and started to fiddle with the door opener…well talk about handiong out your own justice…and boy did he scream…loads of claret too…i found my side window in the bushes the next morning, and went locally to get a new rubber and put it back in…being very careful with the stickers…it was a volvo F88…that was the only trouble i encountered in 25 years travelling overseas…but it left me a bit shaken…the advice i would give anybody to day is park somewhere as safe as you can…the problem today is with villains who are prepared to gas the cab and driver.and there is a device on the market which lets off a loud siren if it detects gas…a driver i know was gassed in czech…silly man stopped for a slapper…lost all his running money amongst other things like tv…video…and clothes…most expensive (zb) he`s ever had…
have a nice day

I just bought my drivers Gas alarms from protectador, hope we never have the opertunity to test them out though.

i`m attacked at night on a regular basis… by the wife :laughing: :laughing: