Atlas Express Leicester

Chris Webb:

neil0965:
Does anyone know what where Atlas Express had their depo in Leicester?

Hi Neil,in the late 60s there was an Atlas Express depot in Coalville or Ashby if that helps.

hi I worked on the bank at atlas express markfield , from may 1979 - until the depot’s closure in june 1985 . they were situated on the site of an old woodyard on ratby lane , just off the main A50 in markfield . prior to this , in the 1950’s and 1960’s they had a depot on ashby road in coalville , and another in thurmaston on pinfold road .

neil0965:

Hi Neil,in the late 60s there was an Atlas Express depot in Coalville or Ashby if that helps.

In the 50’s it used to be in Sparkenhoe St behind the railway station and then I think they moved to a new depot up in Thurmaston.

atlas express
the hub was on markfield road markfield
i worked there and left 6 months before they closed down
hope this helps you
regard oldbob

oldbob:
atlas express
hope this helps you
regard oldbob

The ex trainer from there bought one of their artics and set up his own HGV training business called GEMINI but I cannot recall his name - what was it?

It’s also where I did my training to get my HGV 1 all those years ago :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Pat

ROG:

oldbob:
atlas express
hope this helps you
regard oldbob

The ex trainer from there bought one of their artics and set up his own HGV training business called GEMINI but I cannot recall his name - what was it?

The man who owned Gemini was Norman, i did my class 1 with him, big old boy with a hearing aid.
Also didn’t atlas also run out of the old parcel station on western boulevard ?

gunnerheskey:
The man who owned Gemini was Norman

Thank you

That was National Carriers I think, who I did my first ever days work with in a lorry!

Pat

bloodoodle:

That was National Carriers I think, who I did my first ever days work with in a lorry!

Pat

Not NCL - it was BRS
NCL depot was near the train station

Yes it was…but it was called the Railway station then :smiley:

I walked in the day after I passed my test to find an F86 hooked up to a flat trailer with zinc ingots on it.
Full size sheets to ‘lose’ ( it was only aboy 9’’ high on the trailer) and not a clue how to do it or any gloves. :unamused:
Finally and old timer helped me and showed me what to do and off I went to Aldridge and tipped it, I was terrified :smiley:
He went on to take me under his wing and taught me to rope and sheet paper reels, timber steel and anything else they could sling at me…what a great guy!

Pat

bloodoodle:
Yes it was…but it was called the Railway station then :smiley:

Pat

Lets compromise and call it the ‘Choo Choo place’ :laughing: :laughing: