Atkinson trucks

road-ranger:
This is a you tube video of my atki and a few friends

The video will be a few weeks yet as I have a lot on at the moment but I will do one. She dose have the 9 speed to cope with extra power. Side by side the ten speed fuller is very small. There is power steering on this one but my other Atki I was after one without it. Problem is when remembering that there gearing is very different and could prove tricky on a rounderbout if I happen to forget. Not sure why they did not wait for the new model? But it was made with them in mind but no build sheet for this motor on record I am sorry to say.

The dash, every time I jump in I have a little grin, I love it! Looks perfect to me I think they said at the time a little like a aircraft. I have had a drive of a few fodens now one with the 680 in and 12speed and yes they are a tad small. My dad had always put me off the rolls but have grown to love it. Very sharp deep sound to it, doesn’t talk to you like a ■■■■■■■ but she digs her feet in on a hill but likes to use fuel. I like the D85 very much every one had a good word for it until I was trying to get oil seals for the one I am doing up at the moment. They wine a little with the hub reduction but a cracking axle. This one in the rolls is a 5.47 and will do around 65, and my other behind the ■■■■■■■ is a 5.04 but yet to have it out on the road. Only the diff lock on the NCB wagon. The anti skid works really well I think, never had the axle lock up when running around with no trailer on, you can see the pulse generator on the prop shaft.

I like the look of the old Atki, 4lw I have had a drive of a 5lw this was in a Foden timber truck sounded very good. What HP are the 4lw?

8LXBV8BRIAN:

kevmac47:

Bewick:
This has the makings of a great thread now we’ve got “Wor Hinney” Bri on the “case”,I am looking forward to the all around Vid of this rare Atky,as now we have established it had a 280 RR :frowning: and an odd axle set up) will I be right in assuming :blush: that it had the Fuller 9509 box which was the same box that ONL482M had fitted behind it’s 220 ■■■■■■■ and not forgetting the “overslung” D85 axle !.As an aside seeing that the NCB unit was a “P” reg motor and the SED/ATK had been launched at this time I wonder why the NCB didn’t go for the same spec in the new model? maybe it was a special order 12 months previous ! Then again why didn’t Foden get the order considering all the 8 wheel Foden tippers the NCB ran.But I reckon Atkinsons built it out of all the old components they had left over from the Borderer production run and they did the NCB a “Special” price at the time and of course the unit would spend 99% of it’s time parked up in any case!Oh! and has it got the ZF power steering ? that yellow lump at the bottom end of the steering column looks curious ?If it hadn’t got P/steering it would have been no good sending it to Waugh Road Services ! :blush: :blush: They couldn’t turn the [zb] wheel at less than 30 MPH !! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

No power steering on any of the Atki’s at Waugh’s until the “N” reg’s arrived, or even a suspension seat. Regards Kev.

PTY 349M Bertie (cup of rosie lee mate) Baker got this motor new Kev it was the first 14ltr 250/225 ■■■■■■■ 8-speed David brown gearbox group rear axle.
This was the 1st to have power steering and wellcome to the new devil the 8-speed david brown :blush: :blush: :cry: :cry: to go hand in hand with the S/A rear axle :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: .

Apart from the ZF P/Steering Bri that is one 'oribble spec for an Atki as it has the “full house” in my opinion :cry: :cry: Cheers Dennis.

I Dennis the 8-speed D/B was like an expresso frothy coffee machine ,one driver used to take a gallon of
gear oil with him each trip this on a new motor :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: - :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

8LXBV8BRIAN:

kevmac47:

Bewick:
This has the makings of a great thread now we’ve got “Wor Hinney” Bri on the “case”,I am looking forward to the all around Vid of this rare Atky,as now we have established it had a 280 RR :frowning: and an odd axle set up) will I be right in assuming :blush: that it had the Fuller 9509 box which was the same box that ONL482M had fitted behind it’s 220 ■■■■■■■ and not forgetting the “overslung” D85 axle !.As an aside seeing that the NCB unit was a “P” reg motor and the SED/ATK had been launched at this time I wonder why the NCB didn’t go for the same spec in the new model? maybe it was a special order 12 months previous ! Then again why didn’t Foden get the order considering all the 8 wheel Foden tippers the NCB ran.But I reckon Atkinsons built it out of all the old components they had left over from the Borderer production run and they did the NCB a “Special” price at the time and of course the unit would spend 99% of it’s time parked up in any case!Oh! and has it got the ZF power steering ? that yellow lump at the bottom end of the steering column looks curious ?If it hadn’t got P/steering it would have been no good sending it to Waugh Road Services ! :blush: :blush: They couldn’t turn the [zb] wheel at less than 30 MPH !! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

No power steering on any of the Atki’s at Waugh’s until the “N” reg’s arrived, or even a suspension seat. Regards Kev.

PTY 349M Bertie (cup of rosie lee mate) Baker got this motor new Kev it was the first 14ltr 250/225 ■■■■■■■ 8-speed David brown gearbox group rear axle.
This was the 1st to have power steering and wellcome to the new devil the 8-speed david brown :blush: :blush: :cry: :cry: to go hand in hand with the S/A rear axle :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: .

Oops!sorry Brian, I’d forgotten about that one. Now there’s a name from the past, Bertie Baker, our very own Cockney Geordie. What a character!!! Regards Kev. Ps. Sorry about the double post. :blush: :blush:

Saviem:
Morning all, road-ranger, that is a lovely lorry, and so much the better for being original. Nice video as well, took me right back, especially as the door opens, that cab “welcomed you”, and I always found it quite spacious in the driving area…particularly coming from a few years driving Mr Fodens excellent products!

I remember the reaction of some of my French colleagues when I showed them an interior picture of that superb instrument cluster…made their eyes go round…a view that one could never tire of…bit like a road going Spitfire!

That D85, 13 ton axle with its diff lock was quite a reasonable axle, but really not designed for constant high speed running, (another similarity to the dear old Foden axle), really a heavy duty job. I am struggling to remember, but the Borderer, (■■■■■■■■■ that I supplied to Harry Whitehouse, of Dudley Earthmoving, for his low loader, went out with a Group axle, but he had so much trouble with it, that she was taken back by Ryland, (who had taken over Old Hill Motors), and the axle was swopped for a D85 13 ton. Harrys fleet had changed from D800 Fords, (and the D100 that I took off him against the Borderer), to 6x4 Searchers, (Gardners), with balloon tyres on the bogies, and scow end bodies. Someone will have a picture, (fryske)

Im afraid that I have to disagree with Dennis, but I think that the excellent people at Shrewsbury finally got the Rolls product “right”, but sadly on the way there, (like so many manufacturers in the UK), the product was “proved”, at the operators expense. But in my experience Rolls were generous with their warranty terms. By the time that the product was available in Europe, it was sound, and was well accepted, and performed well. After all, it was the standard engine that ERF, and Leyland used for the French market…with only one being succesfull.

How do you get on with the Maxaret? The man who did so much development on that system, was the original design engineer for the Guy Wulfrunian air/disc brakes and suspension!

Lovely lorry, thanks for sharing, (and the others on the video

Im off to load up my Scarab, she is off to new pastures…and the LB76 goes tomorrow…so I am “sans Camions” now.

Cheerio for now.

Just seen the link to the photo of the midland earthmoving and they had a borderer with the BDR axle. I have had a go in this truck too.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NQUE0hOOMgo

i only drove a Borderer for a few yards (our shunter at Carryfast,Droitwich,an ex-Shweppes motor i believe)…i feel i’ve missed out :frowning:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NQUE0hOOMgo
[/quote]
Evening all, the squeak of the Chapman seat…Id forgotten that. And the way Borderer cab doors could drop! Really, even though I loved Atkinsons, the cabs were truly a garden shed on wheels…but as for the rest of the vehicle…my very dear friend the late Pat Kennett once described the engineering in an Atkinson as…“engineering as an art form”…and he was right…but we all know , (who suffered that screaming, squirting David Brown range change box), that Atkinson could miscalculate on some of its components…but has there ever been a lorry with better brakes■■?

Dennis is right about the early Rolls…and the rest of the British manufacturing industry…elongated warranty periods did not make good the loss of revenue from a broken down vehicle that should have been earning for its owner, (let alone paying its finance charges)! Just how out of touch were our suppliers■■? They certainly knew little about the “game” of operating lorries!!!

Strange that, we ran a pair of Rolls 220’s in 1974 S80 Fodens and they were 100% reliable. New liners were fitted around the four year mark, about the same time span as we fitted fresh blocks on the 6LXB’s, but of course the Rollers were worse on fuel. They did get more work done in a day though! :slight_smile:
We had a Sed Ak 400 with the DB eight speed range change box and that was ok, originally it came new with a DB 6 speed but that was soon changed and gave no problems, not as good a change as the later Fuller equipped ones though.

Pete.

PTY 349M You can just see Terry campbell behind the n/s/wiper arm :laughing: :laughing:
LBB 815P had the 8-speed David Brown gearbox but a nice capt kirk rear axle :sunglasses: :sunglasses: and an
even better bit at the front :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: - :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: .

Saviem:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NQUE0hOOMgo

Evening all, the squeak of the Chapman seat…Id forgotten that. And the way Borderer cab doors could drop! Really, even though I loved Atkinsons, the cabs were truly a garden shed on wheels…but as for the rest of the vehicle…my very dear friend the late Pat Kennett once described the engineering in an Atkinson as…“engineering as an art form”…and he was right…but we all know , (who suffered that screaming, squirting David Brown range change box), that Atkinson could miscalculate on some of its components…but has there ever been a lorry with better brakes■■?

Dennis is right about the early Rolls…and the rest of the British manufacturing industry…elongated warranty periods did not make good the loss of revenue from a broken down vehicle that should have been earning for its owner, (let alone paying its finance charges)! Just how out of touch were our suppliers■■? They certainly knew little about the “game” of operating lorries!!!
[/quote]
You are spot on there Saviem I had inadvertently omitted the on going finance payments when a new motor was “square wheeled”, Mr.Bowmaker or Mr. Lombard would have been extremely un-happy if they had been asked to “help” with a months grace on a re-payment agreement ! A situation which no doubt arose in a few haulage operations.Now,Chapman Superide seats,what a load of rubbish they really were and both Atkinson and ERF fitted them as standard equipment to the Borderer and the “A” Series (Cheap Jacks!).At Bewick Transport we refitted all our Borderers with UOP Bostroms which we bought complete with the pedestal to mount the Bostrom on.With regard to the “A” Series we did a similar conversion at our own expense with the exception of the last “A” series we put on the road in Jan '76 which we operated on double shift,within about 3/4 months the Chapman was absolutely “shot” and I had to send it into Middlewhich for assessment by ERF as they claimed these seats had been tested by 20stone weights and they had never had any problems.Both our drivers on this unit were fairly hefty lads the night man in particular was circa 17 stone.So ERF fitted a new Chapman seat and told us we should have no further probs !! Guess what 3 months later I personally returned the unit to Middlewhich as the seat was knackered again,big style, so I got stuck in!! enough is enough I want a new Bostrom same as I have in our other “A” Series.They reluctantly agreed and went into their stores and “hey presto” one new UOP Bostrom fitted in half an hour and off drove one reasonably satisfied operator never to be seen again at Middlewhich with the same problem.Cheers Dennis.

Going off topic I think that seats were always a compromise really, car seats are much the same after a few years. My 05 Partner’s seat is sagging slightly already. The (allegedly!) sprung seats that our Fodens at Tilcon came with were pretty basic and usually collapsed after a few years, a piece of timber wedged underneath the frame cured that problem until we got them welded up! Then luxury, my new 3000 series Foden came with an air seat. Only problem was that, right from new, it wouldn’t operate in frosty weather so for a few miles I had to raise it and lock it manually until the cab warmed up and it was fine then. When I left and went onto an ex Smiths six wheeler it was like a Rolls Royce, even though it was ten + years old. A full air seat, heated mirrors, cross axle locks etc, they bought the ‘luxury spec motor’ whereas Tilcon bought the basic model but of course ordered them dozens at a time.
Considering the hours driver’s put in seated in one position the seats were of poor quality, I bet the reps had better seating in their cars. :confused:

Pete.

Hi, Pete, my 06 Berlingo’s (same van, different badge!) driver’s seat went exactly the same way, but probably something to do with the weight of the driver! I sourced a seat from a company in Essex via ebay for £40 which turned out to be literally, “as new”.
If you feel the need to replace yours, you will find that the front inner bolt can’t be accessed as the idiots who built the van fitted the seats before welding the lip which runs behind the seats. An angle grinder and chisel solved the problem, then a small triangle of metal was removed from the base of the new seat giving room to replace the bolt.
I never had a great lot of trouble with lorry seats until, a couple of years before I retired, I was awarded one of those dreadful Renault Premium things. I suffered from a dodgy back until my last day. It got so bad that I had to go in to work just before lunch every Friday after attending physiotherapy.

Although I have to admit, neither of the above has much to do with Atkinsons- sorry for hijacking the thread! :unamused:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Hi, Pete, my 06 Berlingo’s (same van, different badge!) driver’s seat went exactly the same way, but probably something to do with the weight of the driver! I sourced a seat from a company in Essex via ebay for £40 which turned out to be literally, “as new”.
If you feel the need to replace yours, you will find that the front inner bolt can’t be accessed as the idiots who built the van fitted the seats before welding the lip which runs behind the seats. An angle grinder and chisel solved the problem, then a small triangle of metal was removed from the base of the new seat giving room to replace the bolt.
I never had a great lot of trouble with lorry seats until, a couple of years before I retired, I was awarded one of those dreadful Renault Premium things. I suffered from a dodgy back until my last day. It got so bad that I had to go in to work just before lunch every Friday after attending physiotherapy.

Although I have to admit, neither of the above has much to do with Atkinsons- sorry for hijacking the thread! :unamused:

I think you were just “working your ticket” waiting for the big “pay off” ROF :open_mouth: :wink: Bad backs are the most difficult to diagnose,but extremely painful all the same so I can’t really believe that you were “swinging the lead” can I ? :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Dennis.

Hiya Dennis,

Guess you may be like me, watching the cricket and keeping an eye on here!

Pritchett’s bought several Fodens. Can’t remember the driver’s name. His had a 220 ■■■■■■■ and (I think, be gentle, it’s a long time ago!) a Bostrom seat.

He wanted me to trade the Mastiffs in for Fodens - his exact words, in Wiganese, were ‘get thissen a Fodden lad’.

Got to admit the seat, with armrests, was comfortable. Problem was, at that time, the waiting list for any premium truck was at least a year!

John.

Anyone know what happened to this old Atki, it was on the rally scene for a number of years and suddenly vanished, 'Any ideas of it’s whereabouts now?

The second pic was taken in Blackpool, hastily snapped, I know officially a Seddon Atkinson but by the time I took the image this particular model was no longer to be seen on British roads.

The third pic is my old mate John Sabin driving his Atki and drag up the A14. (the classic car following him gave the picture an air of being vintage) it was actually taken in 2012. I added the monochrome version for effect !

Bewick:
I think you were just “working your ticket” waiting for the big “pay off” ROF :open_mouth: :wink: Bad backs are the most difficult to diagnose,but extremely painful all the same so I can’t really believe that you were “swinging the lead” can I ? :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Dennis.

If you had known my boss at the time, Dennis, you would have known that the chances of a pay out of any description were just about zero. I endured an hour of pummelling on my back for an hour each Friday, then I was expected to do exactly the same amount of work as on the other days of the week. And most of my customers were on an Early Finish Friday system, too!
Coincidentally, I did my back in again last weekend, doing a favour for the estranged Mrs Casey so I’m doing even less than usual.

gardnersmoke:
Anyone know what happened to this old Atki, it was on the rally scene for a number of years and suddenly vanished, 'Any ideas of it’s whereabouts now?

The second pic was taken in Blackpool, hastily snapped, I know officially a Seddon Atkinson but by the time I took the image this particular model was no longer to be seen on British roads.

The third pic is my old mate John Sabin driving his Atki and drag up the A14. (the classic car following him gave the picture an air of being vintage) it was actually taken in 2012. I added the monochrome version for effect !

Good evening to you

Have you watched the you tube video? The 8 wheeler you want to no about is in most of the video.

road-ranger:

gardnersmoke:

Good evening to you

Have you watched the you tube video? The 8 wheeler you want to no about is in most of the video.

Dont know what happened to that Atki , but i am sure it was with Trevor Morris from Oswestry at some time , thank you Trevor .

Gary Kershaw has restored this wagon back into it’s original Holt Lane Transport livery, along with a Dyson drawbar trailer. It’s a credit to him and is the perfect partner to his other original Holt Lane Atkinson.

windrush:
Going off topic I think that seats were always a compromise really, car seats are much the same after a few years. My 05 Partner’s seat is sagging slightly already. The (allegedly!) sprung seats that our Fodens at Tilcon came with were pretty basic and usually collapsed after a few years, a piece of timber wedged underneath the frame cured that problem until we got them welded up! Then luxury, my new 3000 series Foden came with an air seat. Only problem was that, right from new, it wouldn’t operate in frosty weather so for a few miles I had to raise it and lock it manually until the cab warmed up and it was fine then. When I left and went onto an ex Smiths six wheeler it was like a Rolls Royce, even though it was ten + years old. A full air seat, heated mirrors, cross axle locks etc, they bought the ‘luxury spec motor’ whereas Tilcon bought the basic model but of course ordered them dozens at a time.
Considering the hours driver’s put in seated in one position the seats were of poor quality, I bet the reps had better seating in their cars. :confused:

Pete.

I have a perfect dark grey electrically adjustable heated leather seat Windrush which you could buy at a very reasonable price , just 1 snag it comes surrounded by a 2009 Volvo S80 2.5t se auto :smiley: