Atkinson lorry dealer north east

Greetings,All.We found this old photo in the attic of a Nightingale SA 400. The trailer belonged to Graham Adams of Morden/Kingston Depót.My brother knows the who the owner of the steamer is and no doubt will write in with the info. All the best,regards,900x20. :smiley:

900X20:
Greetings,All.We found this old photo in the attic of a Nightingale SA 400. The trailer belonged to Graham Adams of Morden/Kingston Depót.My brother knows the who the owner of the steamer is and no doubt will write in with the info. All the best,regards,900x20. :smiley:

The owner of the steamer (unless it has changed hands) was Atkinson’s Publicity Manager during the 1960s: M L-B

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Now that you have mentioned Scotts, I sure they had a Nottingham Franchise also , Regards Larry

Did Scotts of Nottingham own Longfield Road Motors? Scotts also opened up as Atkinson Distributors in Penrith in '71 where I got our first 3 Borderers from.This Seddon was delivered new to us in August '74 and it originated from Longfield Road at Darlington. I got it via a local dealer I used and didn’t deal direct with Longfield! Cheers Dennis.

Scotts were on Lambourne Drive in Wollaton in Nottingham they changed to Blackwood Hodge in the late 70s early 80s if I can remember rightly
They supplied all our Atkinsons and Seddon Atkinsons until they later moved up to Ludlow Hill in Edwalton Nottingham and then became B and S Trucks much regards Gary

Hello Aki lovers.An update about the steam wagon on the low loader.I worked for Nightingale Engineering of Western Lane Balham on the tanker and truck rental side if the company. The photo was taken before my time so I will tell you all of what I know and have been led to believe. The steam wagon is the only surviving Atkinson left. It was when built exported to Australia and worked for the company whose livery its is painted in. Apparently it was found derelict and abandoned in an awful state. I am led to believe that the owner at the time of the photo namely Tom Varley of Preston Lancs found it shipped it back to the UK and restored it to its lovely condition it is now. The photo was taken at his premises and the steamer was moved to Balham London for a open type day. The trailer was lent by Graham Adams and co of Kingston upon Thames…They were buyers of Atkinsons so had a working relationship.They did own a rare aki unit that was like a big greenhouse and used it on heavy haulage similar to Pickford who also had one. This was years before the Renault Magnum came out. Sorry this sounds a bit haphazard but I type as I think otherwise old age kicks in and things get over looked. I can only presume that the Varley family still have the steamer it would be nice to know where it is now.The man who drove the outfit from Preston to Balham was called I :stuck_out_tongue: an Stewart. Hope this interests you all.

michelin man:
Hello Aki lovers.An update about the steam wagon on the low loader.I worked for Nightingale Engineering of Western Lane Balham on the tanker and truck rental side if the company. The photo was taken before my time so I will tell you all of what I know and have been led to believe. The steam wagon is the only surviving Atkinson left. It was when built exported to Australia and worked for the company whose livery its is painted in. Apparently it was found derelict and abandoned in an awful state. I am led to believe that the owner at the time of the photo namely Tom Varley of Preston Lancs found it shipped it back to the UK and restored it to its lovely condition it is now. The photo was taken at his premises and the steamer was moved to Balham London for a open type day. The trailer was lent by Graham Adams and co of Kingston upon Thames…They were buyers of Atkinsons so had a working relationship.They did own a rare aki unit that was like a big greenhouse and used it on heavy haulage similar to Pickford who also had one. This was years before the Renault Magnum came out. Sorry this sounds a bit haphazard but I type as I think otherwise old age kicks in and things get over looked. I can only presume that the Varley family still have the steamer it would be nice to know where it is now.The man who drove the outfit from Preston to Balham was called I :stuck_out_tongue: an Stewart. Hope this interests you all.

The steamer was found in Australia, I believe, by Ken & Jill Honeybun, although it was later restored by Tom Varley of Gisburn, Lancashire (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gisburn hence the “Gisburne” phone number signwritten onto it). It changed hands many years ago, and I believe it is now in Kent.

Graham Adams were indeed Atkinson operators, and the vehicle you’re thinking of is UYM 3F, which was not a heavy haulage unit as such but a ‘Silver Knight Rear Steer’ tractor with a ‘View-Line’ cab. It still exists, and is awaiting restoration, although currently missing its second steer. Pickfords had quite a number of View-Lines, many of them 6x4, a batch of 4x2 ballast tractors and a 4x2 artic unit with subsidiary Westfield Transport.

Graham Adams used to carry ‘Bluebird’ cars and boats to events for Donald Campbell - I’m told that he was a director of Graham Adams, but I don’t know if he had family connections to them.

I do have photos of the above, but since BT are providing an internet speed of 0.1Mb/s at the moment, I’m afraid I have no chance of uploading them at present.

Many thanks Gardener240 for filling in the blanks.The info re Malcolm Campbell transportation is correct I don’t know about him being a director.Well done and thanks.Dave.

Can anyone remember who the Atkinson lorry dealer was in the Newcastle / Durham area in the 60s /70s and the address if possible :slight_smile: .
thanks

Theater Garage Ltd, Low Row Sunderland.

The 70s Longfield road motors down on the quayside St laurence road then they moved to killingworth beside the cash and carry Harvey combe close or something like that was the last place i can remember them. was a dealer down eaglescliffe on the industrial estate to in the 70s.
Didn’t visit them much as Atkinson’s never broke down or went wrong. :open_mouth: :astonished: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

Longfield Rd Motors got involed with Atkys when Seddon got together with them longfields were from Darlington as far as I can remember they were the Seddon Dealers. But Theater at Sunderland were just Atky dealers.They supplied the firm I worked for with quite a few Atkys. Regards Larry

Scotts were the Atkinson dealers at Eaglescliffe

8LXBV8BRIAN:
The 70s Longfield road motors down on the quayside St laurence road then they moved to killingworth beside the cash and carry Harvey combe close or something like that was the last place i can remember them. was a dealer down eaglescliffe on the industrial estate to in the 70s.
Didn’t visit them much as Atkinson’s never broke down or went wrong. :open_mouth: :astonished: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

Yes you are spot on with ScottsReagrds Larry

Now that you have mentioned Scotts, I sure they had a Nottingham Franchise also , Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:

Yes Scott’s was the name and i think your right about the Nottingham outlet.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Did Scotts of Nottingham own Longfield Road Motors? Scotts also opened up as Atkinson Distributors in Penrith in '71 where I got our first 3 Borderers from.This Seddon was delivered new to us in August '74 and it originated from Longfield Road at Darlington. I got it via a local dealer I used and didn’t deal direct with Longfield! Cheers Dennis.

Longfield Road Motors were the Seddon dealers at Darlington,also were Perkins Diesel agents,also had Killingworth Harveycome Road?
John Arkle (Fergusons) was salesman when they were Seddon Atkinson dealers

Interesting when people talk about Seddon Atkinson they always make it sound as if Seddon were taken over by Atkinson or had some agreeable merger when infact Seddon took over Atkinson despite several other prominent manufacturers showing equal interest in the company. The decision to go under the wing of their neighbour might have had something to do with Atkinson holding onto their name and subsequently their customers rather than loose everything to one of the countries bigger makers or worse still come under foreign ownership. At least Seddon had the sense eventually (under IH by then) to realise sticking a big A badge onto the front of later models would help keep many of those customers, I couldn’t really see motors running around with Leyland-Atkinson on the front, not for very long anyway.
Cheers Franky.

Oh forgot to add it was Harvey Combe Close in Killingworth Longfield moved to after St Lawrence Rd. Can’t recall any actual Atkinson dealer in Newcastle, Sunderland was likely the nearest. Any Waughies lads know any different.

Comberhill Motors at the top of Valey street Darlington were the agents befor Scotts took over.

At W.H.Williams Spennymoor we only had one Atkinson, which we bought second hand, however strange as it seems i had almost forgotten about it but 2 diffrerent photos have turned up on the net, and not many more outn of all our vehicles… That must illustrate the popularity of Atkinson, It certainly has had more than its fair share of photos.

I can almost certainly say that longfield road were not Atkinson agents until the merger with Seddon. We used Longfield at Darlington a lot as we had quite a few Seddons.

I seem to remember there was a gardner engine agent in Newcastle who we used for Engine parts particularly for our Guys.

But who ever was Atkinson agents were not very goodas I never can remember a rep calling and if they had who knows perhaps they might have got an order.With better sales force they might not have needed to merge.

Like in an earlier post both with that Atkinson and the several ERFs we opperated they never went wrong so the agencies don’t regularly come to mind, as for instance the Leyland agencies who must have been worked off their feet in the spares departments.