ATA carnet

Hi people, Hope you are all well?

Im going out of immingham to gothenberg tomorrow and would like any advice on using the ATA carnet, im carrying show equipment for a festival out there…

I need to know things like … were do i get one from?, Is it self explanatory…

Im also going on DFDS freight out of immingham if that makes any difference to any advice??

As always people thank you so much for your time and any advice you could offer

P

They’re issued by the Chambers of Commerce but someone else will have done that. I can’t understand why you need one to go to Gothenburg though because that’s an internal eu movement, unless the goods originated outside of the eu, in which case it will have been issued in the country of origin and should have been cleared when it arrived in the UK.

HI MATE
thanks for replying… yeah im shipping into gotenberg but the load is ending up in norway?
does that make a difference to your advice?

sorry harry i didnt mention it was ending up in norway did i? LOL sorry man

It’s been a long time since I used one so I’m willing to be corrected if I’m wrong, but as far as I can remember you will have to take the carnet to UK customs, probably at Immingham, to get it started, but it won’t be checked again until the goods leave the eu so you will just hand it over with the load. Customs will stamp it, and take one sheet out of it. I don’t think you need to declare the point of exit as you do with a TIR carnet but again, someone with more recent knowledge will confirm that maybe.

I recently used an ATA carnet to ship exibition equipment from Gibraltar to the USA via heathrow. The carnet was issued by the Gibraltar Chamber of Commerce and was presented to both Gib and Spanish customs, (the departure from the EU to the USA was handled by the air freight company) - point of departure and point of entry into the EU. The carnet whilst within the EU does not have to be presented to customs whilst crossing EU borders, however it will need to be stamped upon leaving the EU, that is at the border into Norway as Norway is not an EU member state.

Thats brilliant Fellas, thank you

What i need to know now is were do i get the carnet from?

I mean does my employer give it me or do i get a standard form say from customs at iminngham and fill it out?

Sorry if im not getting it yet!! LOL

Your employer or the company whose goods are being shipped need to apply to their Chamber of Commerce who will subject to the relevant fees etc issue the said carnet.

If it has been sorted, I would imagine that you will collect the carnet when you pick up the goods.

If it hasn’t been sorted, you won’t be shipping out tomorrow.

The Chamber of Commerce need loading lists, description of goods, item numbers, weights, values and Countries of Origin and a bond has to be lodged with them (normally a 1/4 the value of the goods) before the carnet is issued.

Assuming that it is all sorted, you get the Green front cover stamped in Immingham. They should then take out the first yellow page and fill out the first yellow counterfoil although that is sometimes left for the exit EU border to remove. When you cross into Norway, the Swedes will stamp the first yellow counterfoil and the Norwegians will stamp the first white page (you will need to fill it out but it is self explainatory) and remove it and will also stamp the first white counterfoil.

Leaving Norway, they will stamp and remove the 2nd white page and stamp the 2nd white counterfoil. The Swedes will stamp and remove the 2nd yellow page and stamp the 2nd yellow counterfoil.

Thats it then, job done.

The carnet will have:

Yellow Export Voucher (1) - Exit Immingham
Yellow Re Importation Voucher (1) - Re Enter Sweden

White Importation Voucher (1) - Enter Norway
White Exportation Voucher (1) - Exit Norway

The numbers in brackets should appear at the top of the pages & counterfoils and are there to help keep tham in matched pairs.

Blue Transit Vouchers - You won’t need to worry about these.

The idea is that, once all of those pages eventually get sent back to the relevant Chamber of Commerce, and everything is correct, the client gets their bond back.

Therefore, the most important thing to make sure of is that all counterfoils for the removed pages have a corresponding custom stamp on the counterfoil.

Not sure if Immingham has Customs Officers on site to stamp the Carnet.
I’ve had this ‘problem’ at Harwich, but if you notify the shipping line of your requirements, they should arrange for Customs to come
to the terminal. Of course, I may be completely wrong, but its worth a phonecall.

Good point Graham.

Easy to assume that everywhere is like Dover but your right. I’ve had the same problem shipping out of Dartford years ago. Should have remembered that.

gb1:
Not sure if Immingham has Customs Officers on site to stamp the Carnet.
I’ve had this ‘problem’ at Harwich, but if you notify the shipping line of your requirements, they should arrange for Customs to come
to the terminal. Of course, I may be completely wrong, but its worth a phonecall.

I forget the name of the com.but when i was shipping out of immingham for poland[pre eu]the last r/bout before dock entrance coming in from ulceby,turn right and com on left used to do my customs.Sorry if im a bit vague but been retired 11yrs.
regards dave.

As always fella’s you been a great help…

Thank you so much

Pete

Bloody ell p, they trying to get you out the way? Mike

I used to use ATA Carnets every now and then going to or coming from Switzerland and it was always a hassle as I had no idea what to do with it, nor did the shipper, and the agent on the border in Basel was never much help. No matter what I did, customs in Dover were always unhappy with my efforts and it usually involved staying in customs clearence over night. Ah, the memories!

As for Immingham. Unless its moved, customs have an office by the dock office which is right by the side of the lock gates. I’ve had to go in there once or twice to sort import trailers out that were on customs hold.

to add my 5 eggs . we use that boat for a 24 hour break . dfds have always done all our t forms etc. seem very good as never been a prob in norway… why ship to sweden when the boat docks at brevic [norway] 1st. only 90 mins to oslo from there. it sits in brevic for 9 hours… good agent for norway is borg and olsen… have a good trip boat is very clean but a bit boring… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

vannrouge:
to add my 5 eggs . we use that boat for a 24 hour break . dfds have always done all our t forms etc. seem very good as never been a prob in norway… why ship to sweden when the boat docks at brevic [norway] 1st. only 90 mins to oslo from there. it sits in brevic for 9 hours… good agent for norway is borg and olsen… have a good trip boat is very clean but a bit boring… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I once bought a great music centre from them!

If I remember correctly, the last time I needed customs clearance or a document stamping I had to go to an agent on Middleplatt road behind a builders merchant. It was a long time ago but the agent did the running around and I just waited in reception. I do remember the old customs building on the dock but thought it closed just after Noah shipped out.