ATA Carnet

In the past, i’ve always had to open my carnets at the point of leaving the UK (usually Dover). This required getting the front green cover stamped, and also the yellow counterfoil. The main yellow sheet (usually the first) would also be removed. I’ve been told that providing the green cover has a Customs stamp, it’s not necessary to present the carnet to UK Customs, as the 1st yellow sheet and counterfoil can now be completed at the point of departure from the EU. Anybody know if this info is correct?

phone this lot, they will tell you

That is true but try doing that on the Austria Hungary bourder. it just wont happen. it is still best to get it fully opened when leaving the country of origin.
We had to get 47 ata carnet done in Hamburg that had the front cover stamped.
They did do it but it did take 2 days for them so say yes and many phone calls and faxs later.
I hope this is some help.

I wouldn’t take the chance.

You would be best to pop into customs before you ship to make sure.

TAKE the safest way out open,as others have posted
the carnet in dover,
as what are you going to do if when you get where
you are going, or even before that some where inbetween
, they say go back ,and start all over at the begining,
not worth the agro,

Dazzler:
I wouldn’t take the chance.

You would be best to pop into customs before you ship to make sure.

Have to agree with you. For the sake of 30mins, its worth the effort. Plus you also find that you can bypass ‘Operation Stack’ if you’ve got to go to Western Docks, although Police will want to see the Carnet as proof. By the way Dazzler, do you operate a Volvo F12, if so I know you.

Geoff:
That is true but try doing that on the Austria Hungary bourder. it just wont happen. it is still best to get it fully opened when leaving the country of origin.
We had to get 47 ata carnet done in Hamburg that had the front cover stamped.
They did do it but it did take 2 days for them so say yes and many phone calls and faxs later.
I hope this is some help.

Both countries now in the club, so should’nt be any Customs to do at border, just Hungarian road tax.

Blimey do they still use them bloody things :open_mouth:
My first trip abroad was to take a load of garments from an exibition in London to Heidelberg, I shipped out of Calais a couple of days before the HOFE went over. It was a multi consignment load & I had over 50 different carnets, 1 for each ‘fashion collection’ every border took at least 5 hrs, on someones ‘advice’ I went Venlo which added another two borders! The customs men needed new ink pads & pens as I left each border :laughing: Boy was I glad when my next trip was T-forms :exclamation:

usual problem we have is that many Customs officers have never seen an ATA Carnet before. You know there’s going to be a problem when they start looking at every page, especially as they’re all the same. It’s not always adviseable to try and help, as some officers don’t want to appear not to know what to do. Had one in Serbia 2-3 years back who actually closed the office and went home, leaving a steadily increasing number of trucks blocking the border. Had to get the Chief of Customs in, and ended up stamping the carnet myself!

gb1, Yes, I do operate an F12. Ex Redburn Transfer now painted White & Purple.

How do you know me then?

About time you got that painted. :laughing:

Will most probably be going on EBAY soon thanks to Red Ken.

Too old for the LEZ so its got to go.

Its about time you called me Geoff !

Daz, did you get PM?

Hi Graham.

Have just replied to your pm.

Cheers