At what point do you trade in / sell your vehicle?

Currently own an ERF ECT (420 ■■■■■■■■ 53 plate with 540000 on the clock. I’ve owned it for two years and throughout that time it has been superb with only very minor mechanical issues.
I love the wagon but business is business and so - do i run it into the ground or do i get rid / trade it in / whatever before it starts costing and i start to lose work ?.
The wagon shows no sign of causing problems but the bottom line is that it does about 250000k a year (mainly on motorway trunking) and with the current mileage is still worth something - next year with 800000 on the clock, it’s going to be worth sod all.
Comments from you lads who have seen it and done it are all welcome!

i would tend to hang on to it a bit longer, used truck prices are still high, a 3 year old TGA with 350,000k’s was quoted to me last week at 38 grand :

last 3 year old i bought 2 years ago was 12 grand cheaper than this quote.

i was gonna get rid myself but its paid for in 3 months so i,m going to hang on and have a few worry free months,specially the way things are at the minute

i’ll mirror whats been said already, keep it if its running ok, get rid once it becomes a problem.
if you’re motorway trunking its not working too hard, so if you get another 3 years relatively trouble free then you’re laughing all the way to the bank and won’t be worried about depreciation.
a mate of mine is just starting to replace the oldest of his fleet of ERF’s and most of his are between 10 and 15 years old.
if you really do like the motor, and keep on top of yours, there’s no reason why you can’t run it to that age.

Well look at it this way, its causing you no probs so there is no rush to get rid. Is it on the ‘never never’ or just made your last payment?? cos thats extra money in the bank which im sure you could spend on other things. But your in a good situation cos your in no rush so you could always just look around till a bargin comes your way and bite there hand off instead of rushing around to buy something (there should be a good few trade ins around what with 58 plate just coming out■■?)

Only sell it when the maintenance costs become higher than the interest payments you would incurr on you new unit. If it still runs without a hitch keep it.

keep the top set jobs regular and the old girl will run you to Pluto and back and leave you change for a breakfast and a thai bride. :smiley:

I had the same dilemma a few months back. Stuck with the old girl, as others have said regular maintenance and compassionate driving and there is no reason why she can’t last 2/3 years easy. :wink:

If its not broken, don’t fix it. Its better the devil you know, if you can run a year without paying finance, save the money as a lump off yr next one. These are just my train of thought to such a dilemma. Only plus point of doing it now is the market place is full of trucks at what should be knock down prices. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Hang off a bit in 6-12 months the market is going to be full of new and nearly new ■■■■■■ backs check out some of the dealers now they are starting to fill up with cancelled orders. I had a phone call last week wondering if i was looking for a new motor as my local scania dealer has 15 cancelled orders. If your in a good position to ride out the next 12 months there will we some phenomenal deals going. It will be the dealers who will be looking to bite your hand off!!

I agree with everyone else on here i wouldnt even think about trading it in,
keep running her and if you do have a major mechanical issue with the
engine,have it re buit,its alot cheaper than a new motor!

Mileage is irrelevant in my opinion. Unless you hate the unit i would keep it.

One thing to also take account is the tax that you pay on your profits ( assuming you have some).
We used to buy second hand vehicles each time that we knew we could afford. Two years ago we bought two brand new vehicles. the running costs have been cheaper than it would have been second hand due to much lower repair bills. plus getting 2mpg more from each vehicle has helped through the fuel price hikes. Additionally there was 50% tax allowance in the first year - so no tax bill at the end of the year either.
As long as you are in a position to be able to afford it, it is sometimes cheaper to go with a new vehicle.

Speak to your accountant and look at the maintenance / tyre /mpg costs as well.