At least... Some job for next two weeks :)

I was yesterday in my local Driver Hire to drop some time sheets. I asked them why they advertising for jobs if they have me in the books. They told me that they weren’t sure if I would accept van driving job with up to 45 drops per day paid 6.45 per hour or even less.

I told them that’s it’s true that in the past I used not to touch anything below 7.50, but times had changed and that nowadays 6.45 per hour is almost 6.50 per hour more then I am earning now :smiley: so I am happy to take everything. And so I am a multidrop van driver now :wink:

First day wasn’t so bad - I came there, then i was reading my magazine for over two hours (job of my dreams - they pay me for reading!), then I had three drops to do - two in Glasgow and one in Irvine, then I came back and did two drops - one just arround the corner, one near Strathaven, then I was reading the paper again until they asked me to herp sort the parcels… That wasnt a astrophysics - put these with letters A or B on it at the first roller and these with C or D at the second roller. Then I had to do one collection in Aidrie and went home.

Lucky me I am driving a transit van, not sprinter, so it don’t have this stupid ASR system and I can drift a bit on country roads covered by mud - I just love it :stuck_out_tongue:

So let’s see how it will be over next weeks. I am affraid that it won’t be so easy all the time, and I am already sick when I will think about digging in the van for parcels - I hate it …

But it’s always some job and altough is paid so poor it’s always beter to be sure of this 6 quids per hour then to have hope for 8 or even 10 and finally take nothing…

Btw to the thread about foreigners taking british jobs: how it’s possible that there is so many drivers crying for jobs and agency has a problem to fill this van driving posts?

well good for you dont tell anybody else though cos they will all want a go :wink: :wink:

Well done Orys ,needs must,hope it goes ok for you .
regards derek

Lucky me I am driving a transit van, not sprinter, so it don’t have this stupid ASR system and I can drift a bit on country roads covered by mud - I just love it

Haha know exactly what you mean mate, i went from a sprinter to a transit and what fun that was in the wet! :laughing: :laughing: Taking a sprinter down a country road is certainly fun in the wet!

Have you tried Manpower on for Royal Mail Orys ?

Andy smg:

Tried, they were really happy with my references and everything then I called them few times and “we have no shifts available” :S

Maybe they keep them for British drivers? :slight_smile:

Mmmmmm maybe. They phoned the bro-in-law last week for shifts in Wishaw.

orys:
Btw to the thread about foreigners taking british jobs: how it’s possible that there is so many drivers crying for jobs and agency has a problem to fill this van driving posts?

Truth is most of them would rather stay on the dole moaning that they can’t find a decent paying job rather than take £6.45 an hour as a van driver

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Says it all really…

orys:

Andy smg:

Tried, they were really happy with my references and everything then I called them few times and “we have no shifts available” :S

Maybe they keep them for British drivers? :slight_smile:

i went in for that aswell, everything was fine got a call on tuesday to go into parcelforce and before id even delivered a parcel i got told i would be in till xmas

£7 an hour (or something like that) to drive a van

Nice to hear a wee bit of good news for a change. Hope you get something permanent out of it gogzy.

I would love it. I would need a new pair of drive axle tyres every week :smiling_imp:

Andy smg:
Nice to hear a wee bit of good news for a change. Hope you get something permanent out of it gogzy.

yea spose doing multi drop wont be soo bad if it gets me money, would rather be driving an artic but beggers cant be choosers anymore.
got a new sprinter van aswell, not the best van in the world but i prefer the driving positiona nd just the general layout of the interior compared to a ■■■■■■. plus the new trannys aint exactly quiet?

as for the sprinters and the esp thing the new trannys have that aswell, i can still get the sprinter sideways though :smiley:

Today I finished last - guys from depot had to wait for me.

I had only 25 drops, but then I had two other, one just about one mile in the line, but just across the loch - I had to drive almost 40 miles arround to get there. Other was a remote farm near to Loch Lomond…

They should fit the van with a canoe for that route - it would be faster :smiley:

Simon71:

orys:

Truth is most of them would rather stay on the dole moaning that they can’t find a decent paying job rather than take £6.45 an hour as a van driver

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Says it all really…

Another anti Brit rant from Simple Simon. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I drove a sprinter a couple of times when I was with Cannons when I had no work on my truck. It was a ball driving all the back roads of Oxfordshire. Them vans go like stink and I was getting it into all the wet muddy verges, mud spraying everywhere. I was laughing my ■■■■ off.

Small pleasures hey!! :wink:

Hi i did multi drop for about 8 weeks after the second week i was up to 70 drops a day starting At 9am after all their vans went out and was left with the dregs but was finished by 5pm. best 8 weeks van driving ever did loved it if money was better would have no problem doing it full time and i drive an artic on euro work all the time. Have fun

Mick

mick:
Hi i did multi drop for about 8 weeks after the second week i was up to 70 drops a day starting At 9am after all their vans went out and was left with the dregs but was finished by 5pm. best 8 weeks van driving ever did loved it if money was better would have no problem doing it full time and i drive an artic on euro work all the time. Have fun

Mick

70 drops is that it? i currenlty do around 65 and thats a quiet day for me, i start about ten and back in my house after driving backt o edinburgh then back to fife by 4pm.
never go to home delivery network unless ur ready to work ur sorry little arse off though. i averaged about 160 drops a day, most i took out was 226. stilldone by 5pm at night.