At last new work :)

there’s a big construction job coming up to build the new widnes/runcorn bridge - the proposed route is the expressway that comes straight off junction 7 M62 goes through widnes (approx 1/8th mile away from existing bridge) over this new fangled bridge and will hook up with either the astmoor industrial estate expressway or the central expressway in runcorn. main contractors are still fighting it out for top honours.

one of the construction subbies i was talking to (i drive telehandlers as well) said that they are getting loads of new kit and are going to be giving lots of regualr work to lowloader drivers - they were thinking of doing it themselves but with everything else that they gotta worry about are going to give that to the subbies. they are also predicting that there will be approx. 5 years work for everyone involved.

at last some good news — i might even get a lowloader when i pass my ocpc exams in june :smiley:

this isn’t hearsay the bridge has been in planning for over 10years and now cos all the other infrastructure is more or less in place they are going to put the 2nd road crossing in.

foxy stars:
there’s a big construction job coming up to build the new widnes/runcorn bridge - the proposed route is the expressway that comes straight off junction 7 M62 goes through widnes (approx 1/8th mile away from existing bridge) over this new fangled bridge and will hook up with either the astmoor industrial estate expressway or the central expressway in runcorn. main contractors are still fighting it out for top honours.

one of the construction subbies i was talking to (i drive telehandlers as well) said that they are getting loads of new kit and are going to be giving lots of regualr work to lowloader drivers - they were thinking of doing it themselves but with everything else that they gotta worry about are going to give that to the subbies. they are also predicting that there will be approx. 5 years work for everyone involved.

at last some good news — i might even get a lowloader when i pass my ocpc exams in june :smiley:

this isn’t hearsay the bridge has been in planning for over 10years and now cos all the other infrastructure is more or less in place they are going to put the 2nd road crossing in.

No decision has yet been made as to who will win the tender for construction of this proposed new crossing and there isn’t a guarantee that it will actually happen. So whoever you were talking to is most definitely not a subby yet. They have started building a new electricity substation which will be used if and when the new crosssing go’s ahead, however this would have been built regardless.

Oh and if it does go ahead, both the new and old bridge will be tolled.

it is going ahead cos the funding for it has all been sorted out from what i know (i used to live right next to where the new crossing will be) it’s a mix of government and euro money. the guys that i’m talking to i used to work for — they’ve been doing little bits and stuff to get everything in place ready for kick off - some of my old neighbours say that they’ve been told that some of the houses in one street are going to get compulsary purchase and the rest are being left alone right next to it.

there are 2 firms in the running for the project and i think it’s all coming down to finances. the firm that i’ve done works (and am interested in taking their work on again) for are in with both firms on various jobs and have a prelim contract in place cos it’s on their office wall — like some sort of trophy — don’t know and it’s not my place to question it but they are a widnes firm so can only be good.

as for the end result i thought that it was just the new bridge that was going to be tolled otherwise it’s just going to horrendous at rush hour - it’s bad enough now…

It’s stobart a who will own the bridge and it will be a toll bridge and this isn’t hearsay

It is going ahead. They were out in a boat drilling into the sea bed to find the best rock to place the foundations.

good luck to them drilling through all them heavy metals and gasses etc… they made mustard gas on wiggs island and ici saffil (still there and under expansion at the moment), brown brothers, astra zeneca paraquat plant(pulled down about 20 years ago - the smells from this palce were summat else), and other firms on the shell green industrial estate were pumping allsorts into the mersey years ago also got the leachate from johnsons lane chem tips running in there.

halton borough council priced up the cost of cleaning the mersey up from the widnes/runcorn bridge through to the tips at the back fiddlers ferry about 15years ago and the bill then was in the region of £7million cos of the amount of chem waste in the silt - lets hope that they don’t disturb it too much.

stobarts bridge, no wonder then, they seem to own most of widnes — thought they was based in carlisle :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: