Astran / Middle East Drivers

Hi guys

Yes sorry about that Lenny,s funeral its 30th november at 10.15 am at address given

Roger

And yes Bob is still Big :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: 23 stone I do believe but come to the Funeral he will be there

Roger

tracker6666:
hello wheelnut
I worked for johnny williams for a couple of years. drove his old f88 ā€œVictoriaā€ lovely old motor. did mostly poland. material out and shoes back. then I did 2 years for barry barnes. heā€™d drop a tractor unit up to my house and Iā€™d pick up a trailer load at astran yard which was only 3 miles from where I live. Iā€™d deliver the load sell the outfit and fly home. cant be bad Ā£1500 plus expenses for 3 weeks work. do you remember trevor marks? I worked for him about one and a half years. about 2000. on the first trip I did 4 in 1. I went uk-abu dharbi, back to italy then 2 times from ancona-jubail and then on the way back bob paul phoned me up and said would I do a doha as well, so I did. did 43000km in 14 weeks without coming home. these days I have trouble sitting in the driving seat for 4 hours without my legs hurting like hell. I think it;s called getting old. 69 now. was going to pack up next june but might stay on till next xmas. Iā€™m sitting at work in my old camper van at the moment. going to oldam tonight, manchester tomorrow night and then home for 4 days. when I get home must see if I can get a pic of one of my trucks on the avater place on the page. got the night heater working in here. need it. it gets cold sleeping in a van in a transport yard. noisy too. they steam clean right next to me.

Hi tracker6666 i see you mention Barry Barnes who if is the same person is local to me here in Southampton, and his mother Kath was a cook in my primary school at Bramshaw in the New Forest where i was born.I remember him getting ready for his first trip to the M/E along with Micky Chant RIP i think they both had F88ā€™s and the pair of them went to hospital to get there jabs ready for the big adventure,only problem was they told the doc they would have all the jabs at once and ended straight back in there cos of the reaction,happy days. Barry bought several units for the one way trip including a 1626 Merc of Micky Hughes who used to sub for me, it was so gutless he reckoned it took him an extra week to get there cheers John Davies aka Buzzer.

Iā€™m sorry to hear of the sad loss of Lenny Venables,i used to work with him at Bernard Grainger of Kenilworth in the 80ā€™s,when he was on the beef job to Turkey,R.I.P Len
John Exton

John

Come to the funeral im sure there will be a few ex frigo driverā€™s who did Turkey and beyond turn out, Len was a such a nice guy.

Roger Haywood

Loose-wire:
And yes Bob is still Big :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: 23 stone I do believe but come to the Funeral he will be there

Roger

I am catching him up :blush:

The last thing I saw was him sitting on a Trike

Voila !!

Say Hi to Bob for meā€¦ :slight_smile:

jonboy is that for a new copy of Cola Cowboys. I have a dogeared copy I bought at a carboot sale for 5p about 7 yrs ago. I had better get it insured :open_mouth:

Got the M/E look.

They must have been sold as I cant find them at the moment on e bay. I have a tired copy that has been read twice by me, the second time last year after reading about it on here and remembering I had it , truly an excellernt read.

That must be rare in LHD!

adr:
Got the M/E look.

Hullo ā€œadrā€,

It looks like itā€™s one of the OHS Motors, and I should say thatā€™s one of the old P.I.E. Tilts itā€™s got on.
Cheers, Archie

adr:
Got the M/E look.

Well spotted Archie, the same reg is on the OHS thread as posted by Nazmi. It is one of their sed/atkiā€™s pulling an ex PIE tilt. Regards Jamie.

Boden. you wont find them on ebay you have to go to amazon.co.uk and type in cola cowboys in the search box. I did last night and there were indeed 5 copies starting from Ā£59.99 to Ā£289.00 so we had better get next years round the world cruise booked :laughing: :laughing:

Go to http://www.abebooks.com and try searching for Cola Cowboys on there. I got a hardback copy in mint condition (with a transparent dust cover sleeve) for less than Ā£20 on there last year.

If you want an even better read, try searching for ā€˜Danger - Heavy Goodsā€™. Itā€™s the American title for the book ā€˜Juggernautā€™ which (in my opinion) is a better book. Expect to pay less than Ā£20 for a very good pre-owned copy. Mine was a first edition review copy that still had the review questionnaire in the front.

If your in the pub tomorrow raise your glass and wish Lenny Venables a fond fairwell ,I will be at the funeral I hope to see a few of you there R.I.P Lenny

Roger Haywood

Loose-wire:
If your in the pub tomorrow raise your glass and wish Lenny Venables a fond fairwell ,I will be at the funeral I hope to see a few of you there R.I.P Lenny

Roger Haywood

Hullo Roger,
I am in Sao Paulo, Brasil. So I shall indeed raise a glass of Red Wine to him. Please give my condolences to his family.

R.I.P. Len. Archie.

Archie Paice:

Loose-wire:

Roger Haywood

Hullo Roger,
I am in Sao Paulo, Brasil. So I shall indeed raise a glass of Red Wine to him. Please give my condolences to his family.

R.I.P. Len. Archie.

A glass Will be raised in Myrtle Beach SC USA in memory of Lenny Venables, R.I.P.

adr:
Got the M/E look.

No tax or op licence :slight_smile:

Cola Cowboys does often appear on EBay. Type it in as a ā€˜Favourite Searchā€™ and EBay will email you as soon as one is listed for auction. The last few auctions have ended at around Ā£50 to Ā£60.
I have a copy, which was given to me recently, by my ex, who just happens to be an ex Middle East man who knew Trevor Long, amongst othersā€¦