Astran / Middle East Drivers

It is, isn’t it !!
i dont know why I doubted myself, close to the Moulin Rouge… :slight_smile:

Here is a better version.

It depicts Ali Baba’s house keeper Margina pouring oil onto forty thieves.

GS OVERLAND:
It is, isn’t it !!
i dont know why I doubted myself, close to the Moulin Rouge… :slight_smile:

Here is a better version.

It depicts Ali Baba’s house keeper Margina pouring oil onto forty thieves.

I wondered if it was still there after the bombing?
Someone posted this next pic, wondering who cause I have the original. They must have been there same time as myself.

The guy with towel over his head is John (I wanna say McFall), but I’m probably wrong. He drove for ProMotor, a real nice guy and comical.

She loved some Barney! as did many more lol.

Steve - Nobody has come back with an answer re: your photo of the water pump I imagine no one wishes to admit that they do not recognize it eh ? so give us a clue - regards Fred :confused:

Hello Fred, that old water pump was somewhere on the motorway between Bruno and Prague. There used to be another one on the road that took you through Strakonice and Pisek which eventually brought you out north of Bruno. By using that road you by passed Prague altogether and some times there wasn’t all that much difference in the time it took and less traffic cops.
When Dreva used to post all his Long Distance Diary’s on Trucknet a couple of years back, I think he posted one about a Berrisford driver who I think was going to Budapest. He met up with a couple of more Brits and there was a picture of them in the article parked up in the lay-by in front of the water pump.
As regards Katcha and her mate, they were two students hitching just outside Bruno one Sunday morning when I stopped to give them a lift. They didn’t want to split up so they both rode in my cab and after a couple of hours we were stopped by the Czech police who tore into them saying that it was against the law to travel with Westerners and they were going to be locked up and they would have to walk to Prague. The two girls were in tears and old Alan (he must of been nearly fifty by then) :laughing: had words with the cops and asked them how would they feel if their daughters were left stranded in the middle of nowhere. The police saw sense but insisted that the two girls must travel with Alan in his Foden all the way to Prague where we exchanged telephone numbers.
I bet this little story has reminded quite a few of you about all the East German girls who used to hitch down through Czecho on their way to Lake Balaton in Hungary every year in the summer holidays. It seemed to really upset the Czech police when they realised that they weren’t locals. :laughing:

Regards Steve.

Some great photos there from Teherani,thanks mate. Did you used to drive for Simon International?

NZ JAMIE:
Some great photos there from Teherani,thanks mate. Did you used to drive for Simon International?

Guilty as charged :laughing: :laughing: I drove the 140 Scania. I spent some time in the Jam hospital with a strangulated hernia, Geofrey screwed up telling the agent to give me anything I needed :smiley: , when released it cost him a bunch for poker games @ the hotel Sanjar. (I was a loser) :laughing: The next trip When Geofrey was being investiigated for mickey mouse permits, I did some internal runs hauling grain from Bandar Abbas to Teheran. Upon my return he sold the 140 to Gartside, I went with it. Gartside were a##holes tried to screw me outta my money, I loaded up 2 tilt trailers for a backhaul belonging to a Dutchman who paid me cash when I delivered them in Holland. Gartside wanted me to pay my own ferry fee, No Way! I took the 140 to the ferry, and returned to drive for the Dutchman.

Teherani:

NZ JAMIE:

Guilty as charged :laughing: :laughing: I drove the 140 Scania. I spent some time in the Jam hospital with a strangulated hernia, Geofrey screwed up telling the agent to give me anything I needed :smiley: , when released it cost him a bunch for poker games @ the hotel Sanjar. (I was a loser) :laughing: The next trip When Geofrey was being investiigated for mickey mouse permits, I did some internal runs hauling grain from Bandar Abbas to Teheran. Upon my return he sold the 140 to Gartside, I went with it. Gartside were a##holes tried to screw me outta my money, I loaded up 2 tilt trailers for a backhaul belonging to a Dutchman who paid me cash when I delivered them in Holland. Gartside wanted me to pay my own ferry fee, No Way! I took the 140 to the ferry, and returned to drive for the Dutchman.

Well bugger me that was a good guess,the reason I asked is because I met a bloke here in NZ,called Mark who drove for Simon’s in the late 70’s. I think he may have something to do with the photo of the F88 with the rolled trailer of timber that you posted.

Here’s a link to it on the Simon thread.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26763&hilit=simon+international&start=30

NZ JAMIE:

Teherani:

NZ JAMIE:

Well bugger me that was a good guess,the reason I asked is because I met a bloke here in NZ,called Mark who drove for Simon’s in the late 70’s. I think he may have something to do with the photo of the F88 with the rolled trailer of timber that you posted.

Here’s a link to it on the Simon thread.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26763&hilit=simon+international&start=30

Jamie thanks for the link, the rolled truck was before 78 cause I took that pic on one of my last trips, I came to the US in april 77.
I remember an Aussie that drove for Simon Int real nice guy not afraid to get his hands dirty. I Ieft SI when they were burning paperwork, mickeymouse permits and insurance docs. It was not long after they sent Jeff on holiday. He treated his drivers good, more than I can say about others eg: Gartside :imp:

Teherani it was kiwi mark that gave me that photo, i was working in the yard in hackney, mark had just come back from saudi where he was working doing the internals for jeff, i think when he left jeff he went working for dhl, ive got a few more if i can find them of mark, mick rodgers, terry cagin, and fred topham on the beach down there

germangeezer:
Teherani it was kiwi mark that gave me that photo, i was working in the yard in hackney, mark had just come back from saudi where he was working doing the internals for jeff, i think when he left jeff he went working for dhl, ive got a few more if i can find them of mark, mick rodgers, terry cagin, and fred topham on the beach down there

If you can post the pics that would be great, jog this old mans memory. I found this site by accident my son googled my name, what a surprise this was. So many names and memories of the ME days, I have to aadmit I miss the agro and the comadrie we all shared. Wow! its been a long time ago, 35 + years. I have a real close nephew in the UK driving 18’s, if you hear of any hiring it would be good for him to ride his favorite uncles routes.

• Barney

i see its slipping down the pages so ere a few pic from a trip i just done hope ya enjoy

Hi Guys
Furck me…!! Young Phil’s lost some weight, he looks twenty years younger.Must be all them slimming pills. :smiley:
GS

GS OVERLAND:
Hi Guys
Furck me…!! Young Phil’s lost some weight, he looks twenty years younger.Must be all them slimming pills. :smiley:
GS

What ever weight Young Phil lost Wayne Skinner must have picked it up :smiley: …Just look at him, he will soon look like Richie… :smiley:

where is dave pulton iam from jacques heavy haulage acton 1960s (ocean clipper)on trucknet.

Ocean Clipper:
where is dave pulton iam from jacques heavy haulage acton 1960s (ocean clipper)on trucknet.

Hi " Ocean Clipper " or should i say " Axle " are you one of the same ? regards Buzzer.

hi john or is it buzzer its ocean clipper (axle) twin split. lift axle. back axle.what ever, :slight_smile:

Ocean Clipper:
hi john or is it buzzer its ocean clipper (axle) twin split. lift axle. back axle.what ever, :slight_smile:

Well theres a thing,i see you just signed up on here Axle and you must have loadsa Davies pics to put on our thread,as well as probabley a load from Transport Services so hope you got a scanner,thats a scanner not a scania john.Its better on here than watchin all the crap on telly mate so get diggin and sort out them pics and do a bit of postin on the DIT thread.

hi its the ocean clipper any one out there im looking for dav pulton las time i sean him was on jacques acton