ASTRAN BOOK - The Long Haul Pioneers -*latest news*

amazon have already cut the price I see,

The Long Haul Pioneers: A Celebration of Astran. Leaders in Overland Transport to the Middle East for Over 40 Years by Ashley Coghill (Hardcover - 26 Jun 2010)
Buy new: £25.46

I am thrilled to tell you all, that I am now in possession of an “advanced copy” of the book :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
It looks fantastic and the print quality is superb!
Sorry, but you’ll still have to wait a little longer until JUNE 26th, for the official launch of it :frowning: :imp: but just to whet your appetites, here I am with Roger Smith of Old Pond Publishing enjoying the very first sighting of the finished article.

On a personal note, I just want to thank Roger very much indeed for all his hard work in producing/publishing the book for me. All credit to you mate :wink:

BTW: Roger’s the one on the right.

Nice one Ash. I hope its a best seller, I will try not to misplace mine when I buy a copy like I did with Cola cowboys.
Congratulations Roy the boy, [Now an old man] :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well done Ash, your dream now is a reality! That is a tidy size book, I bet the pics will be great. Congratulations mate, I look forward to it’s launch :smiley:

Wishing you every success,

Regards,

Mark.

Hi all,
Yes Congratulations Ash me old mate the book is Superb! well done. Paul

brookie:
Well done Ash, your dream now is a reality! That is a tidy size book, I bet the pics will be great. Congratulations mate, I look forward to it’s launch :smiley: Wishing you every success,Regards,Mark.

Thanks mate :blush: An awful lot of hard work has gone into it, but as I say, I am thrilled to finally see the “finished article”. I must thank Roger Smith at Old Pond for his help and advise and for “doing his bit” and having the fatih in my project. He has turned out a mighty fine book I can tell you!

Over 300 pages with 350 “class” images - a lot of which are very rare pics of Asian Transport/Astran trucks - The size of the book is slightly bigger than A4 and it weighs in at a mighty 1.5kgs !

Postman Paul will have a pretty bad back by the time he’s delivered all 2,000 copies. You did say you would hand deliver didn’t you? :confused:

All I have to say now is…“roll on June 26th”.

Looking good so far Mucka :wink: Now ‘All the hard work is done’ Does this mean you can load your own lorry of a morning now :wink: :laughing: :laughing:
Only joking :blush: Looking forward to seeing the finished article -well done :smiley:

lemonmouth:
Now ‘All the hard work is done’ Does this mean you can load your own lorry of a morning now :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

I only get you to do it so you have to get out of your bunk a bit earlier! Dave told me to do it :wink:

Anyway mucka, I’m thinking of doing another book, this time about brick hauliers from Flitwick :confused: Got any pics?

Hi All,
There is more info on the book coming shortly.Paul

Hi All,
I have just finished reading The Long Haul Pioneers! How is that possible when it is not launched until late June? Ashley has very kindly let me have an advanced copy to review.

My overall impression is absolutely superb! It has taken me just over a week to complete, reading at every opportunity and at times I found it difficult to put down. The writing is easy to understand and follow throughout the book. The images are crystal clear and there are pictures on just about every page. Reading some of the stories from the olden days, I got a real feeling of being right alongside the driver, but then to see the images connected with those stories gives a clear picture of how it really was. The book has been designed perfectly so all the photos follow the storys all the way through and are not grouped together in the middle of the book. I have learnt a few thing about Astran and read a few things that have finally put the myths and records straight and I have seen photos of trucks I never knew they had! All in all I would highly recommend this book to everyone, including people not connected with transport. It’s a fascinating read! Paul

Its now possible to order it trough toprun.ch !

toprun.ch/truck/astran/astran.html

better to leave little money to a truckwebsite than amazone or ebay :slight_smile:

keep on trucking
ferdy

What I believe is the first independent review of the book online, by non other than our own Brian Weatherley
Big Lorry Blog reviews “The LongHaul Pioneers”

I am going to write the title down and leave it lying about the house until I am asked, what’s this?

Oh just some old book I was looking at dear, I don’t think I will get it type hints, :laughing: It may wait until September for a birthday pressie

GREAT NEWS* 2 years and 2 months since I wrote the first words, the books are now here :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ahead of the official publication date (june 26th) Old Pond now has a container load in stock!!!

To order your copy, please contact HEATHER at Old Pond with your payment at the ready.

Telephone: 01473 - 238200
e mail: heather.oldpond@btconnect.com

If you’d like the book signed, please let Heather know.

Thanks for all of your comments and your support in my project. It’s been a long time coming, but I can assure you it has been well worth the wait :smiley:

Anyone got any queries/questions please e mail me: ashleycoghill@aol.com

ps: - anyone who’s going to the vintage truck and model show at Gaydon this year - June 12th and 13th - can buy the book there. Head for the KELSEY marquee outside on the main concourse. Look out for the restored Astran Scania 141 which will be parked close to the marque.

I will be in the main exhibition hall most of the weekend as I am organising the model show. If anyone wants to bring the book into me, i’ll be pleased to personally sign it.

Ash

truckerash:
ps: - anyone who’s going to the vintage truck and model show at Gaydon this year - June 12th and 13th - can buy the book there. Head for the KELSEY marquee outside on the main concourse. Look out for the restored Astran Scania 141 which will be parked close to the marque.

I will be in the main exhibition hall most of the weekend as I am organising the model show. If anyone wants to bring the book into me, i’ll be pleased to personally sign it.

Ash

Hullo Ash,
Yes that’s certainly great news, I really do hope you do well with the book, you most certainly deserve to do so after all the hard work you’ve put into the project. I ordered three copies earlier this week and paid for them, two for my two lads that worked for me and one for me, I have asked if you will sign them, a special one for me I hope.
Cheers, Ash. ( break a leg :smiley: :smiley: )

Hi all: A little bit of self-indulgence regarding the book if I may.

Since starting the book, I have become extremely good friends with GORDON PEARCE who was the very first driver to work for Asian Transport, starting in 1966. He’s been staying with us for the weekend and has been looking through the book.

I’m very proud to know this man who is without doubt one of my heroes of the pioneering days of long haul overland runs! His stories have been documented for all to read in the book.

Gordon: You are a top bloke and a great friend!

Gordon made his very first trip to Tehran and back in December 1966. Here he is on route.

And in later years was given a brand new Scania 110 drawbar - BGH 172H. Here he is at the wheel.

i,ll be there sunday ash so i,ll come and get it signed mate :wink:

Oooooohhh, you’re just being a tease, showing us a few of these ‘exclusive’ photos!!! No need for the ‘carrot’ as far as i’m concerned, i have been dying to get my mitts on it since i first read about it, hopefully, the same will be true for a lot of people, thus, ensuring a successful book for you. Best of luck, what2do aka Steven Mitchell.

Hi All

I will be at Gaydon on Sunday so any freinds who hvnt seen me for a while would be glad for a meeting look for me at the Astran truck or with Ash in the model show ,dont forget to pickup your copy of the book .my signature will cost you a beer and a bacon butty :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Roger Haywood