ASTRAN are looking for drivers to do M/E

If yer interested, there is an article on Astran looking for O/Ds to do the Middle East. Tel 07740 252 418 ask for Hugh Thompson

I would love to do this but i’m not an OD. Do they employ other drivers than ODs.
Neil.

well Y dont you phone and ask ?

Good idea, why didn’t I think of that. :smiley:

Newbie:
Good idea, why didn’t I think of that. :smiley:

Let us know how you get on

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

Hi, what mag was the article in?

Is it Astran or possibly Seymour Transport trading using Astrans name to drum up some work? If its not Astran`s staff running the show but Seymours then could you expect the same standard of back up, knowledge, experience and expertees??

Just a thought…lets hope its for real as im sure there would be a few takers, if not from O/D`s themselves then from drivers willing to be employed to do the job for them.

Cheers, bullitt.

PS anybody told Truckyboy!! :laughing: :laughing:

The article was in Trucking Issue 250.
I have just been on the Astrans web site and it says that Seymours is their sister company. There is no job opportunities link on the web site like some other sites do so it looks like a phone call is in order.

Is Seymour based in Maidstone in Kent? Anyone know? Also didn’t Astran have a small yard near Maidstone?

Here are some links that may help.

astran-cargo.com/

seymourtransport.co.uk/index.php

Look at the countries Astrans go to.

Thanks for posting those web sites Newbie. I know exactly where Astran are now.
Don’t think I would like to work for Seymour though. Dunno why but I got a gut feeling about them… Wouldn’t mind some M/E work though. :wink:

bullitt:

He’s doing runs to Spain with me at the moment so lets keep quiet about this opportunity :smiley:

Anyway, he’s always banging on about driving to the middle east, but what so special about driving to Ipswich!

Plambert:

bullitt:

He’s doing runs to Spain with me at the moment so lets keep quiet about this opportunity :smiley:

Anyway, he’s always banging on about driving to the middle east, but what so special about driving to Ipswich!

Hey that’s really trucking - that’s the far east. :sunglasses:
Salut, David.

Does Astran prefer to use subbies then?

Think you will find that the reason they have placed an ad is that the job is not worth doing anymore, in real terms the rate that is being quoted now is less than what it was 30 years ago, most were going via sea routes which are going through the roof, to make it pay a few were loading in italy tip UAE etc back to italy load back to UAE then mt back to italy or Germay load an home, why do you think Hooperman sold his truck down there, sure if you want some arabic script on your bumper and sit in Ashford and stir up a sand storm go for it, but you aint gona make any money, even the sellers were paid less than they guys that were round tripin it.
sdj

Biggles:
Think you will find that the reason they have placed an ad is that the job is not worth doing anymore, in real terms the rate that is being quoted now is less than what it was 30 years ago, most were going via sea routes which are going through the roof, to make it pay a few were loading in italy tip UAE etc back to italy load back to UAE then mt back to italy or Germay load an home, why do you think Hooperman sold his truck down there, sure if you want some arabic script on your bumper and sit in Ashford and stir up a sand storm go for it, but you aint gona make any money, even the sellers were paid less than they guys that were round tripin it.
sdj

Shame that…you would have thought that being a premier UK - Middle East company with a reputation to match, they would have tried to protect that reputation by sticking with UK subbies / drivers and paying a proper rate for the job even if that means them making a few quid less profit.

At least they would be able to hold there heads up and say we havent gone down the Stobbart, Betz etc route of “lets cut the rates to the bone, pass the bare minimum on to the subbie, keep most of it for our selves and arent we clever” brigade :unamused:

Surely an established name and reputation is worth more than a few extra quid profit for the company, but then I suppose thats the way it is nowadays.

Its called “progress”!!! :unamused:

Cheers, bullitt.

Plambert:

bullitt:

Would you fancy giving it a go? You have one of the most experienced M/E hands already working for you, and a Daf SSC to do it in!!

You could even double man it down there :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe there are some ex M/E guys reading this thread who would love the oppotunity to do it again but cant get the openings!

Bottom line is “how much”■■

Cheers, bullitt.

bullitt:

Biggles:
sdj

Shame that…you would have thought that being a premier UK - Middle East company with a reputation to match, they would have tried to protect that reputation by sticking with UK subbies / drivers and paying a proper rate for the job even if that means them making a few quid less profit.

At least they would be able to hold there heads up and say we havent gone down the Stobbart, Betz etc route of “lets cut the rates to the bone, pass the bare minimum on to the subbie, keep most of it for our selves and arent we clever” brigade :unamused:

Surely an established name and reputation is worth more than a few extra quid profit for the company, but then I suppose thats the way it is nowadays.

Its called “progress”!!! :unamused:

Cheers, bullitt.

I thought that was very nicely put Bulitt. You made a good point there mate.

Hey Bullit…you made a very bad statement there…and i aint talking to ya no more…so there…stick that in your pipe and smoke it !!!
There are of course many drivers who would love a chance to do middle east work…and of course do it for peanuts…just for the crack…i really dont believe that if Astrans are advertising for subbies, that the rate would be all that clever…i work for a decent wage…and middle east would not give me that wage let alone a profit for the boss…and yes…my boss has already asked me if i wanted to go back…its not only a money thing…but a danger thing as well…i dont want to be shot at anymore, and the risk is greater today than it ever was, also my boss is a realist and knows where a pound can or cannot be earned, and if spain is not making him a profit…then im out of work too..could be sooner than you think. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: but then again..the temptation is there..is the money ■■?..gotta go...gotta tell the wife im going to be away a while…

So what sort of money could they be talking about to run down there?

As an O/D what would price would you be looking at to do it?

Cheers, Bullitt.

truckyboy:
Hey Bullit…you made a very bad statement there…and i aint talking to ya no more…so there…stick that in your pipe and smoke it !!!..

But I havent got a pipe!!!.. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So truckyboy, do you fancy it again? For the right money of course.

Bullitt.