Assessment

Got a driving assessment at maritime tomorrow any advise?

Youngy:

Keep both hands on the steering wheel! Do things as you should i.e. correctly. Make sure you couple up as you would for an examiner - get out and check before reversing under the trailer. Drive safely and don’t take any risks. Common sense stuff really.

Any specifics will be better answered by someone that has been through a Maritime assessment. Most assessors are absolutely fine. Some think that being such an important person in the company makes them akin to a Boeing 777 pilot… (they aren’t, clearly!)

I always find assessments a bit pointless really. You just have to jump through the company’s hoops, and at least you’re keeping someone in an (unproductive) job! :laughing:

There might also be a little test on the basic driver regs

Youngy:

drive it like you stole it? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

my tesco assessment, wonder why i am no longer in there :astonished: :laughing:

Cardinal Maritime? Sheesh, just drive in a straight line and you’ll be one up on the fella who delivered to our warehouse last week!

Pretty much as Truckulent said tbh.

Only thing I’d add is, 3 points of contact. When entering or leaving the vehicle, or climbing on or off the catwalk, make sure you do it properly, no hanging on the steering wheel and door, and definitely no jumping down - you do NOT want a twist lock handle in your eye.

You’ll most likely have another driver taking you for assessment, they’re mostly a good bunch, so any questions, don’t be afraid to ask.

If you’re successful, make sure you’re 100% by the book, manual entries in tacho, tacho matches timesheet, and I hope you’re a yes man.

The job is ok - good, I enjoyed my time there, but I’m not a yes man so it was a limited time, but my time everywhere has been a limited time tbh, so that means nothing

waynedl:
Pretty much as Truckulent said tbh.

Only thing I’d add is, 3 points of contact. When entering or leaving the vehicle, or climbing on or off the catwalk, make sure you do it properly, no hanging on the steering wheel and door, and definitely no jumping down - you do NOT want a twist lock handle in your eye.

You’ll most likely have another driver taking you for assessment, they’re mostly a good bunch, so any questions, don’t be afraid to ask.

If you’re successful, make sure you’re 100% by the book, manual entries in tacho, tacho matches timesheet, and I hope you’re a yes man.

The job is ok - good, I enjoyed my time there, but I’m not a yes man so it was a limited time, but my time everywhere has been a limited time tbh, so that means nothing

Limited time is the best way. :sunglasses:

Cuts down the chances of them taking you for granted. I wouldn’t work full time for anyone. Soon as you commit, they’ve got you over a barrel. Some companies don’t take the ■■■■, but most do.