Assessment Drive

I am posting for the first time after taking an assessment drive out of Queensferry North Wales and around the local area. It included all the usual hazards that as a class 2 for 30 years was standard but with a split 8 and the length felt completely alien. Tried to reassure myself that all would come together with 20 hours under my belt but find it hard to commit to something knowing it could damage both my wallet and pride. Anybody else felt anything similar in just an hours driving?

Are you saying you had an assessment drive in an artic?

Yes I decided that it would be a good idea to get some extra qualifications and tried the free assessment. Its not that I did anything particularly wrong but the feeling that you are not totally in charge with so much to remember was a eye opener!

Hi paderborn

Your name is the same as where I done my N.I training a while ago. Then it was sennelager.

20 hours is ridiculous for a simple upgrade to CE after 20 years driving Cat C (class 2)

Take a few more assessments but remember they are selling, not training.

Doubt it will cost you more than £600-700 inc test for a simple process.

Cat CE is made to look dificult by the trainers but really needs no more than about 6-8 hours behind the wheel.

Not in Wales so cant help but there must be loads of honest welsh trainers out there.

£700 absolute max

I’d be more surprised if you didn’t feel uncertain about it, possibly even worried! It’s natural to have doubts like this so it’s not just you. Welcome to the board young man… :grimacing:

Yes thanks LGV, the assessment was free with the idea that 12 or 16 would round off rough edges and give me an insight as to to the numerous routes.Came back to find 20 hours would be required and it wasn,t that bad but it takes your confidence away in a jiffy.He is probably reading this now!My handle comes from where my wife comes from, she lived in Bad Wunnenberg just down the road.Had some good night outs round Sennelager even tho I,m not ex forces.Unfortunately there are not too many instructors on Merseyside that ever bother getting back in touch after expressing an interest!

It’s really very little to do with the number of hours - it’s all to do with the content. Shop around until you feel comfortable. Some trainers do make an art form out of selling courses. Some trainers are happy to under-assess in order to get people through the door.

Sounds as though the OP needs to get to grips with a range change. This should take a few minutes to achieve a basic standard though reliability with the gear change takes an hour or two and frequently more. He has also gone for the more difficult option of artic rather than w+d and this will increase training time. 20 years experience can be great or might lead to many difficulties with old established poor driving habits. It’s impossible to tell without actually seeing the drive.

As mentioned, it’s to do with the content of the hours rather than the number of hours. The OP needs to have further assessments and take recommendations.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hello Peter, already sent an enquiry to your office so will await a call soon enough.Few people put me off a W+Drag but can,t remember the actual reason.What are the practical differences in driving an artic and a W+D, looks daunting to say the least especially trying to reverse the beast. Locally nobody has responded so happy to travel and stay over if necessary.Recommendation has always featured highly in my eyes.Earliest dates available if possible.

Hi. Unable to distinguish which email is yours but I understand that all the enquiries have been dealt with. So I hope you’ve received the information you wanted.

Ref w+d v artic; this subject has been done to death on this forum but, briefly, the w=d is easier in all respects for training with the exception of the coupling which is fractionally harder. It’s a fact that most vehicles in the real world are artic. It’s also a fact that most of our trainees go from w=d to artic with about 5 minutes assistance from another driver or tm. We all know that most learning happens post-test. This is regardless of whether you learn on an artic or not.

So the compromise I always suggest is to make it as easy as possible to gain the licence by using w=d but be prepared to spend £150 - £200 on artic training following the test. This is a tried and tested method which, without argument, leads to a good outcome at reasonable cost.

We have folk fail on CE. It’s normally something straightforward like not checking the trailer brake before re-coupling. Regardless of the fact that everyone is told at least half a dozen times that it’s got to be done! Virtually unheard of to get a fail on steering or reversing which are probably the two most common fail points on artics.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

paderborn:
Hello Peter, already sent an enquiry to your office so will await a call soon enough.Few people put me off a W+Drag but can,t remember the actual reason.What are the practical differences in driving an artic and a W+D, looks daunting to say the least especially trying to reverse the beast. Locally nobody has responded so happy to travel and stay over if necessary.Recommendation has always featured highly in my eyes.Earliest dates available if possible.

I’m sure there are a few main differences but the main one is probably the pivot point. W&D is probably easier to get through a test with but people have regretted doing this because of the difference when it comes to driving an actual artic.

Sam Millar:
I’m sure there are a few main differences but the main one is probably the pivot point. W&D is probably easier to get through a test with but people have regretted doing this because of the difference when it comes to driving an actual artic.

That’s a fair point Sam, but it worked the other way for me. I found W+D good for my test (although I did pick up a minor for taking the ‘long route’). Perhaps I was helped by many miles of dragging my wobble-box around.
When it came to driving an artic I found it fairly easy to adjust. On the day of my first ‘real’ drive in an artic I told the owner/employer I had lerned in a W+D and his response was “If you can drive one of them bloody things you will have no problem with this”.

Paderborn:
I was assessed by a trainer as needing 35 hours to do my CE. Peter Smythe Training assessed me as needing 12 hours and they were spot-on, so that’s where my recommendation goes.

Alan

I’ve actually never come accross this person with the regrets. But, in any case, I always suggest a short period of training in an artic. Think I’ve mentioned that before?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

I’ve actually never come accross this person with the regrets. But, in any case, I always suggest a short period of training in an artic. Think I’ve mentioned that before?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe not ‘regret’ in words but as good as.

tyler4164 wrote:
Hi mate, i passed my class 1 with a wagon & drag & got a class 1 job straight away. I’ll tell you the same thing i tell everyone, going from a wagon & drag setup straight into an artic is completely different. I had to retrain myself to reverse etc as its completely different. My instructor used both artics & wagon & drag. I told them i wanted to learn in artic & i was talked out of it by instructor. Said i should pass easy way then learn to drive artic while being paid. Should never of listened!!! Use an artic mate…trust me!!!

Did I mention that it’s a good idea to have artic training following a pass on w+d? Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Did I mention that it’s a good idea to have artic training following a pass on w+d? Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Some people just read the bits they want to so they have fuel for their own bias.

WnD got me through my CE test and 4 hours of Artic training got me confident that I could drive either and be safe.

paderborn:

A W+D will be a bit easier to get round corners as the trailer follows the line of the wagon more closely than a typical unit and trailer as the trailer cuts the corner more. Peters’ suggestion of a short session in an artic after passing is a good idea.

Get that kettle going Peter! :wink: