Assessment Drive With Peter Smythe

Ok so I don’t know if anybody remembers me posting a thread a few weeks ago about me going for my first ever assessment drive with a training centre in Tyne & Wear and that in the end I decided not to go with them due to them coming across as a bunch of clowns and inexperienced ?

Well fast forwards 3 weeks and now I have been for an assessment drive with Peter Smythe himself and it was a great experience from beginning to end and a one I’ll remember for all the right reasons.

The difference between the first company I went to and Peters company is like night and day, its very easy to see Peter knows just what he’s talking about and he gives very good instructions and he is extremely passionate about his company and rightfully so, I would be too if I had built up a training company like his.

Peter took me out in one of his 8 speed manuals with Hi and Low range gearbox which was slightly tricky to get used to at first but Peter guided me through it and by the end of my 1 hour assessment drive I felt a lot more confident with it, not fully mastered 100% but am sure that will come with a few more hours.

When we got back to the centre we discussed how I got on and where to go from there, without any pressure or obligation. I decided right there and then that I wanted training by Peters company even though it is a very long way to travel from my where I live.

I decided to pay £150 deposit up front and secure the dates that I require.

I even got a free Hi-Vis vest to take away with me for me to use on my training and test in a few months time.

As I was leaving I thought I’ll push my luck so I asked ‘’ Peter ? you don’t mind if I take a few pictures of your company and your lorries do you for the album ? ‘’ , not sure of the reply I was going to get, and he said ‘’ Not at all, take as many pictures as you like ‘’ to which I went out and filled my boots.

So just if anybody is unsure who to go with, and you happen to live near Peter Smythe ( or even if you don’t with his free accommodation course ) just arrange for an assessment drive and you’ll see for yourself why his companies reputation speaks for itself.

Peter is also one of the nicest people I’ve met for quite some years, brilliant guy all round.

K_500390.JPG

I still find those Rigids visually traumatic! :open_mouth:
Where are all his Artics mate?
And glad you’ve found a trainer you’re happy with… :smiley:

Yes very bright and in your face but then I guess that’s what he was trying to achieve, to be seen.

The trailers where there, but because he had the tractor units uncoupled and put away I couldn’t see much point in taking pictures of his trailers really.

Its a great yard he has there and buildings are very nice too.

Which 1 of the 3 in Tyne & Wear did you go to btw :question:

I’d rather not say.

I don’t want to ruin somebody’s company just on words I’ve said, besides they seem perfectly capable of doing that themselves.

Needless to say i was less than impressed with them though.

Well-Jell:
I’d rather not say.

I don’t want to ruin somebody’s company just on words I’ve said, besides they seem perfectly capable of doing that themselves.

Is it the 1 on Felling by pass :question:

Still not going to say.

Thanks Well-Jell for your kind comments. Really pleased you found the journey worthwhile and that you found the facilities, equipment and standard of tuition to be as expected.

Try and relax now and look forward to your course.

All the very best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Similar experience to me .
Except I had my first one a Jcoats coventry .
I start my class 2 at PSTT next week ,
Really excited [emoji851]

Peter Smythe:
Thanks Well-Jell for your kind comments. Really pleased you found the journey worthwhile and that you found the facilities, equipment and standard of tuition to be as expected.

Try and relax now and look forward to your course.

All the very best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Not a problem Pete, the journey, while very long was very worth while indeed and am so pleased I made it.

I was very excited about my assessment drive and thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end, very enjoyable and great fun.

Lloydie:
Similar experience to me .
Except I had my first one a Jcoats coventry .
I start my class 2 at PSTT next week ,
Really excited [emoji851]

Am glad you decided to go with somebody you were happy with too, pointless exercise throwing money away on a training centre you are not happy with / don’t know what they are doing.

I now can’t wait for me training to begin and am genuinely very excited about the whole thing, and I know am in good hands too.

Good luck with you training and test.

If you have had a bad personal experience with a particular trainer then it is useful to know what that was so others considering a trainer can keep that in mind when they are searching

That is allowed on this site

ROG:
If you have had a bad personal experience with a particular trainer then it is useful to know what that was so others considering a trainer can keep that in mind when they are searching

That is allowed on this site

Agreed,we live in a world full of review sites on the internet so there is nothing wrong in passing on your experiences as it may save others time & money,if the company in question don’t like it then they should address the issues that arose.

if the company in question don’t like it then they should address the issues that arose.

We are thankful that we’re not on the receiving end of complaints from disgruntled customers. However, if anyone ever had a complaint, I would hope they would give us the opportunity of putting the matter right before blasting it all over the www.

Sadly, there are some “trainers” out there who are out for a quick buck and couldn’t care less about the customer. Fortunately, these are the minority - but they are certainly out there (in some cases, complete with flashy website) and it’s a matter of buyer beware.

No prudent person would book training anywhere without either first visiting and assuring themselves they’re happy or booking on rock solid recommendation.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I passed with Peter Smythe first time in November 2011 for class 2 and January 2012 for Class 1 first time. If I remember my tutor was Nick. Cant reccomend the place enough; fantastic teaching.

You can’t go wrong with PS!

Got me my pass last month [emoji106][emoji16][emoji322][emoji133][emoji898][emoji1319][emoji207]

animal:

Well-Jell:
I’d rather not say.

If any one wants some info on “the one on the felling bypass” just ask and i’ll help them just passed my class 1 with them and all i can say is my opinons are mixed to sy the least !

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

I will be starting my practical training with Peter Smythe in a few months and I really am expecting the best training money can buy, am very confident of that, and Pete himself seems like a master.

With 43 years for experience training people, what Pete doesn’t know isn’t worth knowing.

I am very excited and looking forwards to starting my training but my actually test not so much.

landroverman:

animal:

Well-Jell:
I’d rather not say.

If any one wants some info on “the one on the felling bypass” just ask and i’ll help them just passed my class 1 with them and all i can say is my opinons are mixed to sy the least !

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Tyne & Wear LGV if you had wanted tho know mine you could have read on here my opinion which is not good to say the least had 6 instructors in 5 days of training which was spread Thursday Friday of 1 week then Wednesday-friday the following ( test early Friday morning )