Assessment drive - first ever drive

Hi all,

Well these things are like buses, nothing for ages and then two come at once!

This will sound like pretty basic stuff to you lot but I’m completely new.

I have an assessment drive for Eddie Stobart (Widnes) next Wednesday. I’m ■■■■■■■■ myself! It will be literally my first ever outing in a wagon since I passed my Class 1 back in March. I don’t even know how to use the tacho :blush: Anyone know what make of tacho they use? so I can brush up using the online simulator.

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated. And to all the Stobart haters, this could be my big break that I’ve been waiting for, driving for them doesn’t bother me!

Really don’t want to make a fool of myself on the day.

Hang your head in shame…seriously though good luck.

Are you still at Iceland? If so do you know a driver who would be happy to show you in one of theirs. Easier to show than explain.

Anyone knocking you for trying at stobarts is quite frankly a moron… A legally run, proffessional outfit that provides you with decent kit, uniform and a reasonable rate of pay… Sounds quite good to me.

Only done one assessment so cant help you much on that one but i think the best thing you can do is tell whoever takes you out exactly what you’ve told us… Just from reading your post it sounds like you’ve got an excellent attitude towards the job, that alone would get you a job at most places.

Yeah still at Iceland. I do know a couple of drivers but its getting hold of them which is the problem.

Any advice on the drive or what to expect?

Thanks Saamnon. I don’t want to get there and look like a complete halfwit.

Only done one assessment years ago and it wasn’t for stobarts so others may give better advice but drive almost as though you are on your test. Not so much the hand positioning etc but awareness, smoothness, mirrors, speed, and road positioning.

Try to relax into it (I know it’s easier to say)

Make sure you do ALL of the walk around check - remember the height indicator and check against the trailer cos a lot don’t.

If you haven’t driven that type if truck and I’m guessing you won’t have - ask the assessor - I.e dipstick location/auto gearbox etc. it’s a fair and valid question and not one that only a novice would ask. I’d ask and so would others so don’t be scared to.

I’m sure others will add to this probably more specific the Stobarts.

If you’ve not driven an artic since passing in march, it might be an idea to try and get a couple of hours training with a local HGV driving school, get some practice in on reversing and things, might cost you about £100, but look at it as an investment, if you get the job, you might be glad you had a practice for a while.

Goodluck

On the reverse (and in “real” life) - get as much of the turning and placement done going forward to set yourself up for the reverse bit. I.e give yourself a shallow angle instead of a 90 degree jacking it round.

You’ll probably have a siemens tacho, as they run brand new lorries you’ll probably have the new style one which is abit different so im told but the basic principles will still be the same, chip in first pointing to the sky, then it will ask you if you want to do manual entries etc (which you wont need to) so just “ok” it all.

Dont worry about making yourself look like a “halfwit”, if you’ve told them its your first job and they’ve still given you an assessment their not going to expect you to know what your doing.

Stobbies run a lot of scanias which have stone ridge tachos, look them up on simulator.
Apart from that I think they like it when you’ve got no previous so they can mould you in their own image !
Best of luck hope you get something from it , keep us informed.
Jim

JFC999:
Stobbies run a lot of scanias which have stone ridge tachos, look them up on simulator.
Apart from that I think they like it when you’ve got no previous so they can mould you in their own image !
Best of luck hope you get something from it , keep us informed.
Jim

My 08 scania had a siemens in but the 11plate i’ve got is stoneridge, did they change over then? Or would a siemens have to be spec’d from new?

Don’t know Saamon, I had a '62 reg scanny earlier this year and that was Stoneridge.
I’m assuming Stobbies motors will be recent models ?..
Jim

Thanks for the replies chaps.

One thing that is bothering me, to set the height indicator, do you set it to the height marked up on the trailer? Or is there some way of working it out from the height of the 5th wheel?

How do you know how high the trailer is going to be given the fact that different lorries will have different 5th wheel heights/suspension etc? Does that sound really dumb lol

If in doubt use a measuring tape.

Most units have a standard ride height and a standard 5th wheel height. But those with raising axles will change depending on if axle is dropped or raised.

On most trailers I’ve pulled the height is marked on the front and states that it’s for a 5th wheel of a certain height.

Tarrman:
Thanks for the replies chaps.

One thing that is bothering me, to set the height indicator, do you set it to the height marked up on the trailer? Or is there some way of working it out from the height of the 5th wheel?

How do you know how high the trailer is going to be given the fact that different lorries will have different 5th wheel heights/suspension etc? Does that sound really dumb lol

Worth bearing in mind that when you raise the middle axle on a Scania, your ride height will also increase by a few inches.