Assessment Day

Hi all,

Have an assessment day tomorrow with a local company in Liverpool. Sent an E:Mail off (shot in the dark tbh) and got a phone call back in about 30 mins. Was made up! Went to site on Sat morning so they could take a copy of my licenses for insurance purposes.

Dont know what to expect, don’t think I will be driving as its a “Go with one of the Drivers for a day and see how you feel before we proceed any further” type thing.

Got me Hi-Viz, Safety shoes ,pack lunch and stuff will be made tonight and a note pad. oh and a couple of quid to buy a brew or 2 if we stop. Any questions I should be asking the driver? I will try and get as involved as possible.

Any one ever had a dirty ride along come with them for the day before? :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Will let you all know how it goes tomorrow night. :grimacing:

Maybe a flash of STRONG coffee. Just in case you feel yourself flagging and need a caffeine boost!

Evil8Beezle:
Maybe a flash of STRONG coffee. Just in case you feel yourself flagging and need a caffeine boost!

Good shout!! Will try and get a flask. Might have a spare at me Ma’s

I’ve done this before, they called it a shadow shift and you will be driving at some point, otherwise it would be pointless having you in. I usually just ask about the usual, shift patterns, where deliveries/collections are & what’s expected of you. I have sometimes found the driver will usually complain about the boss or bosses, other drivers, the hours you have to work, low pay and generally how crap the company is, only to tell you he’s been there 20 years or so!
Just remember you’re not on test, they only want to see if you can drive safely.

Unusual, only done this once many years ago, i didn’t go for the job, it wasn’t for me but i appreciated not having to take the job to find that out.

The bloke you’ll be accompanying is probably pro the company, that doesn’t mean to say he kisses arse or anything, but it should be borne in mind that he’s probably fairly well in, could be cos he’s bloody good driver, they ain’t going to send you with a bloke who hates the place.

Its a nice way of doing things IMO, all you can do is judge the bloke you’re with and therefore judge the worth of his opinions and advice.

I suspect he or she will tell you everything you need to know, best of luck with it and well done for acting and pouncing straight on the opportunity.

Thanks guys.

yeah I think that’s the whole reason behind the exercise of me going out for the day to see if its for me or not rather than getting the job only to find out it isn’t , not getting paid but I have taken a holiday from work so wont really be out of pocket.

Most places when they take you on have a trial period. If you have holidays booked during the period are they likely to let you have the time off or will they be against it?

sinclair89:
Most places when they take you on have a trial period. If you have holidays booked during the period are they likely to let you have the time off or will they be against it?

Sorry - I misunderstood the first time. (Thought you were on holiday from your current employer). I’d say the only answer regarding holiday time you want to take off after just starting is; If you don’t politely ask, you don’t get!

sinclair89:

Any employer worth bothering with will honour normal reasonable holidays already booked up, if they won’t then that will tell you all you need to know…bit different if you have 3 months walkabout booked every year from October onwards mind…:wink:

Evil8Beezle:

sinclair89:

Sorry - I misunderstood the first time. (Thought you were on holiday from your current employer). I’d say the only answer regarding holiday time you want to take off after just starting is; If you don’t politely ask, you don’t get!

Sorry, I am on holiday tomorrow from my current employer to go on the drive about tomorrow.

Juddian:

sinclair89:

Any employer worth bothering with will honour normal reasonable holidays already booked up, if they won’t then that will tell you all you need to know…bit different if you have 3 months walkabout booked every year from October onwards mind…:wink:

Thats what I was thinking. I have 7 days booked in July but I can reduce it down to 5 if needed. Think the only issue will be the 4 weeks notice I have to give at my current place.

But then again…I am talking like I have the job still need to have an interview I would imagine first.

sinclair89:

Evil8Beezle:

sinclair89:

Sorry, I am on holiday tomorrow from my current employer to go on the drive about tomorrow.

Then as long as you’re not getting paid, your current employer has no right, or need to know what you do in your free (holiday) time.

Evil8Beezle:

sinclair89:

Evil8Beezle:

sinclair89:

Then as long as you’re not getting paid, your current employer has no right, or need to know what you do in your free (holiday) time.

lol I think we are confusing each other here mate :stuck_out_tongue:

I am on holiday tomorrow from my current employer because that’s the only way I was gonna be able to get on the road this week.

My original question was , If I do go with this driving company on a trial period will they have any issue with me taking holidays during this time as I have a holiday booked in July.

:slight_smile:

sinclair89:

Evil8Beezle:

sinclair89:

Evil8Beezle:

sinclair89:

I am on holiday tomorrow from my current employer because that’s the only way I was gonna be able to get on the road this week.

My original question was , If I do go with this driving company on a trial period will they have any issue with me taking holidays during this time as I have a holiday booked in July.

LOL, as I said before your holiday from your current employer is your own business. And issues like contract and tax only (generally) arise if you’re directly employed, and getting paid for doing other work. So as you’re not being paid, you can spend your free (holiday) time as you see fit.

If you have holiday book in the next few months, and change employer. That new employer has no duty to honour that holiday. However, most employers accept that everyone has holidays or time off planned through the year, so tell your new (prospective employer) about it and see what they say. Do this ASAP, as if you get offered the job, accept it, and THEN spring the booked holiday upon them, they are likely to take a dim view on it (and you). Yes you might not get offered the job if you tell them upfront. But if you spring it on them later (after starting the new job), you might go on that holiday, and not have a job at all to come back to!

Evil8Beezle:

sinclair89:

Evil8Beezle:

sinclair89:

Evil8Beezle:

sinclair89:

LOL, as I said before your holiday from your current employer is your own business. And issues like contract and tax only (generally) arise if you’re directly employed, and getting paid for doing other work. So as you’re not being paid, you can spend your free (holiday) time as you see fit.

If you have holiday book in the next few months, and change employer. That new employer has no duty to honour that holiday. However, most employers accept that everyone has holidays or time off planned through the year, so tell your new (prospective employer) about it and see what they say. Do this ASAP, as if you get offered the job, accept it, and THEN spring the booked holiday upon them, they are likely to take a dim view on it (and you). Yes you might not get offered the job if you tell them upfront. But if you spring it on them later (after starting the new job), you might go on that holiday, and not have a job at all to come back to!

got it! :smiley: thanks!

So how did it go■■?

Hi Guys,

Today was a fun experience! and one I shall not forget any time soon. Was driving a Daf RO-RO. Got on the road at 8am. Finished at 4pm. Got bout 3 hours driving in them hours. Had a bit of a ■■■■ time in the morning, think nerves got the better of me but made up for it in the afternoon.

Was offered the job :open_mouth: :smiley: but I wasn’t able to start on Monday like he asked (this wasn’t on the original job description otherwise I wouldn’t of bothered) Need to give 4 weeks notice in work. :frowning: :frowning:

Enjoyed the day very much, it really is a different world out there without the L plates.

Ah that’s a shame. So can they not start you in 4 weeks?

Freight Dog:
Ah that’s a shame. So can they not start you in 4 weeks?

Nah he needs a driver for monday. At least im still in full time employment. Might just land on some other guys lap who isn’t and needs his luck changing. All the drivers are local lads so at least they employ local.

I asked him to contact me again if anything comes up and we can work something out.

Call me cynical, but why would they need you for a whole day assessment?

If you ‘pass’ the attitude test and the ‘check’ drive and can fill in the application form and sign your name and string more than two words together coherently in around a couple or three hours, why a whole day?

They haven’t just used you instead of an agency/temp person have they?

If they liked you surely they would wait for the right person or at least pay you (as expenses) for your time that day? If they didn’t I would think that they would be a ‘do us a favour’ type employer.

Just a thought…

fredthered:
Call me cynical, but why would they need you for a whole day assessment?

If you ‘pass’ the attitude test and the ‘check’ drive and can fill in the application form and sign your name and string more than two words together coherently in around a couple or three hours, why a whole day?

They haven’t just used you instead of an agency/temp person have they?

If they liked you surely they would wait for the right person or at least pay you (as expenses) for your time that day? If they didn’t I would think that they would be a ‘do us a favour’ type employer.

Just a thought…

I can see where you’re coming from , but I think I can answer your questions. :slight_smile:

They wanted me to come in for the day because they have had lads come in and do the same but leave at lunch time. They wanted me to see the whole job, driving, collecting, the sites ect ect to see if I liked it. So I did. I went out with a driver for the day. I went to more places in Liverpool in one day then I have done ever …I have lived here my whole life!

Wasn’t used as a temp/agency, I was offered the job because they guy I was out with is leaving Friday but I couldn’t commit to starting Monday.

I got £50 of the boss, this was after I (reluctantly) had to turn down the job offer. Shook hands, asked him to contact me if something comes up again.