Assessment Day

Tomorrow is the day, I have an assessment with a company in Basingstoke. Fingers & toes crossed, but not whilst driving.

Relax, listen, enjoy. Good luck with it all. :laughing:

Best of luck mate, I cant wait to get an assessment drive somewhere!!

All done and dusted, now to wait and see. Only problem is the rate,according to the Agency it’s £8.75ph. Hell of a comedown from what I’m getting on a rigid. She has also put me down for another assessment on Monday, that pays a bit more but I’ll have to do some real hard thinking on this. Comments on the ‘test’ drive are on the blog.

Just been told that I failed, my let downs were reversing (a bit rusty) and gears. As I haven’t driven a Volvo with that split shift i did have some fun changing gears. Otherwise they said the client will have me back as soon as I can get my reversing de rustified. Another one on Monday with luck it won’t be a Volvo. :grimacing:

Paul-H:
I haven’t driven a Volvo with that split shift

Was it a range change 4 over 4 with a splitter for each gear :question:

Paul-H:
my let downs were reversing (a bit rusty)

Were they asking too much or is it something you will be able to do with more experience :question:

It was a 6+6 with a splitter and a preselector switch on one side, all the lorries that I’ve been on are either straight 6 or 6 + 6 with a low/high split and even an automatic. He wanted me to go up and down the box as we were driving using the functions of the gear box. This split and sort of ‘pre split’ I haven’t used before. As for the reversing a few places where we went to were a bit tight to get into but I did it with a few shunts. I suppose the more exp that I get driving/reversing will dramatically improve my ability to those jobs better. I can safely say that with more practice my reversing will improve, all I need is that practice.

It was a 6+6 with a splitter and a preselector switch on one side

Sure it wasn’t 4+4 range change with a splitter as well? Very common set up. Suggest you find a local trainer who will teach you how to use one before the next assessment. Best of luck for next time :laughing:

you can read up on this type of gearbox - range change with splitter - via the link in my signature :smiley:

It was a 6+6 with a splitter, I realise its a normal thing on volvos but not driven one before and will have a look and see if I can get my hands on some additional gearbox exp.