Assessment at Farmfoods Avonmouth

Being a ‘newish’ class 1 driver with a handful of shifts experience on agency (57 hours driving over 10-12 shifts) I’ve finally got myself an assessment with a decent company

Spoke to the guy in the transport office and he sounds totally genuine and a breath of fresh air from what I might have expected

Anyway, assessment next week, any tips or advice?

40% nervous, 60% yeah I can do this attitude

:smiling_face:

I’ve driven exclusively tri-axle trailers and 3 axle tractor units.

I believe Farmfoods operate 2 and 2 on their fleet

Are the too significantly different to drive? I think a twin axle turns quicker or am I mistaken?

Hi Pal,
Do everything by the book, check hand brake before going under trailer and you have the correct Trailer etc and I’m sure you will be fine.
As per other posts, take all cards and PPE, yes a 4x2 unit and 2 axle trailer will turn in much quicker than your used too, tell the assessor your previous experience and if he isn’t a
B-ll end he will take that into account.
You sound like you have the right level of confidence & nervousness (keep you on your toes…) so you should be fine, Good luck

Good luck with the assessment let us know how you get on !

I pretty much always drive 3 axels, but for supermarkets anything which turns quicker is usually better. Not seen round the vack of farmfoods, but suspect they similar to COOP so loading was last thing on architects mind.

Just take time, dont try to be a hero and absolutely check your trailer and unit handbrake (the latter is easy to miss if you get out and look lots).

Sensible assessors arent looking for perfection, just someone who isnt going to smash into everything enroute. They should also demo things like loading bars, taillift etc.

The pay is very good , for an assessment , possibly a test on drivers hours multi choice questions , then they will want to see pre-trip safety checks , if it was me , I would check the O license in the windscreen , horn , washer fluid , and so on , then a drive around the block .

Cheap and good quality canteen , computerized information board that lists which trailer or haulier is on which bay . Trucks are not blinged up V8 's but basic models , a day run could turn in to a night out if delayed , their foreign driver found that out as his time was up in Reading MSA with no sleeping bag .
Shop deliveries can be a bit tight to get in .
Truck wash on site .

Good help and advice everyone, thank you

Have been studying Farmfoods Shops on Google Maps, I would say 80% are ok or moderately difficult to get into

The other 20% look a bit of a pig

However the transport manager I spoke to was very reassuring about the fact they don’t throw people in the deep end and treat newer drivers appropriately. Practice makes perfect after all!

Talk about buses…

My old company (Warburtons, where I was factory op) are advertising (and I’ve applied to) class 1 trunkers

You wouldn’t catch me doing the class 2 work but the class 1 looks good.

£637.50 A week On salary this time last year, presumably it’s gone up…

Got it!

Hooray

Start 6th July

^^^^ well done, congratulations. Now all you need to do is stay away from their excellent canteen or you’ll look like Humpty Dumpty in no time.

Thejpmshow:
Got it!

Hooray

Start 6th July

Great stuff [emoji106]

Then how was the assessment?

Why not tell us about it for future reference…

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

drover:

Thejpmshow:
Got it!

Hooray

Start 6th July

Great stuff [emoji106]

Piece of cake

Very relaxed informal chat, few questions

Driving assessment was drive over, couple trailer, park it On a bay. Put it back on parking space, uncouple. Park

Congrats

Thejpmshow:

drover:

Thejpmshow:
Got it!

Hooray

Start 6th July

Great stuff [emoji106]

Piece of cake

Very relaxed informal chat, few questions

Driving assessment was drive over, couple trailer, park it On a bay. Put it back on parking space, uncouple. Park

Nice [emoji106]

well done mate :slight_smile: sounds like a decent Company to work for.

Thank you all

Now only if they’d hurry up and open the M49 junction it’d make my commute 20 minutes…

Thejpmshow:
Thank you all

Now only if they’d hurry up and open the M49 junction it’d make my commute 20 minutes…

Ain’t that the truth, ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■ it’s been ready since last Xmas but they are not opening it because of maintenance costs! [emoji109][emoji109][emoji109]
They still have to build the connecting road past Amazon entrance all 100m of it but of course that is being done by a different contractor, you couldn’t make it up [emoji2959][emoji2959]
This country is going down the pan fast

Load of bureaucratic nonsense isn’t it

I presumed that the connected roads would be part of the project, surely that would have made more sense

Turning into a great white elephant every day

Thejpmshow:
Load of bureaucratic nonsense isn’t it

I presumed that the connected roads would be part of the project, surely that would have made more sense

Turning into a great white elephant every day

Yep can’t be any reason to give it to another contractor can there? Needless complication…

I’m sure they’ll get it done within 6 years and another £50 million.