Assesment advice

Hi all, just wanted to say this site is awesome so much info. Spent hours reading it and getting bits and bobs.

Quick question handing me notice I’m tomorrow at me job and have signed up with couple of agencies they have informed me they have plenty of work etc. Part of working for them is the employers will require mr to a assessment, so my question is on the assessment should I drive in a driving test fashion ie push/pull wheel etc? Or bit more relaxed bout obviously in controll?

Many thanks in advance

:slight_smile::):):slight_smile:

bazdub:
Quick question handing me notice I’m tomorrow at me job and have signed up with couple of agencies they have informed me they have plenty of work etc.

Yep, they always say that.

Hi,

Good luck with your assessment. First please don’t forget your licence (both parts) and digi tacho card and Driver CPC card, if required (if you passed your cat C1 or C after last September)
The Assessor should (but not always) be qualified (i.e. have attended an assessor course and passed assessor exam). For example RTITB etc. Your job will be to give a drive that is both safe and competent. Remember however it’s not a test, it’s an assessment. Consider some of the following:
You may be asked to carry out a pre-use check on the vehicle you will be driving.
You will no doubt be asked to do a reversing exercise.
Getting in and out of the vehicle (use hand rails and face vehicle getting in and out of cab)
The gearbox may be a splitter or range change.
Know your speed limits, and where possible make progress.
Lane discipline and good use of mirrors and checking blink spots.
Remember to forward plan.
In the HGV test you no longer need to push and pull the steering wheel but you should keep both hands on the wheel to confirm you have control.
Use your brakes to slow you down and not the gears.
I know a lot of the above is what we teach you for the HGV test but giving a safe, competent drive is what it’s all about. I would have thought this would be what a good Assessor should be looking for.

Hope this helps and good luck. Do your best. That’s all you can do.

Google hgvlgv training for more advice