Asking too much? First job (agency)

Been working for a local company via an agency for the last two weeks. Only been out on my own 4 days of that due to them needing a drivers mates on certain runs. Due to only passing Class C 4 weeks ago and being my first driving job I’ve been taking it very easy and taking a lot longer than the regular guys (even though I don’t have as many drops their all long gone home when I get back) I get the impression from them that their not happy with how long I’m taking and that I raised a concern when I was given a rented truck which I had no idea how to operate the tail lift, freezer/fridge temp and compartment size adjustment and that I’d not driven anything with double rear axle. Rather than go through it (bit of training) they just gave me another guys truck (who I’d been out with). Didn’t feel particularly safe for me or anyone else not knowing how to operate the lorry fully.

Am I asking too much? I know it’s through an agency and the company just wants their goods delivered but the main reason for applying was that they stated that were happy with taking on new drivers.

Any advice appreciated.

Yes and no!
The tail lift, honestly you could figure out in a lay bye after you have left the yard. Normally an up and a down button. Sometimes a switch in the cab to enable or disable it.
Sometimes a twist control inside the back to control whether the up and down buttons outside the truck are active or the ones inside it.

The double rear axle, well I understand you would be nervous but it’s just so it can carry more weight. Still drives the same, still the same driving technique that you learned, just remember it’s a tad longer and check the mirrors more for the first few miles.

The fridge , I think you are right. I haven’t ever had to work one, wouldn’t know where to start and I’d expect a 2 minute crash course from them.

The taking longer at first is to be expected.

From their point of view they will be thinking they have some who isn’t willing to have a go and be adaptable and is also slow. I would get over your nerves and get out there in anything they want and have a go.

I remember my first agency run in a 7.5t and I was thinking “just get out of the yard without crashing…”. Within the first mile I’d folded the left mirror, couldn’t work out how to stop the engine (was pedal on floor) and stopped in a lay bye to figure out the rear doors and the curtain side so I didn’t look a Wally at first drop. No training, just thrown the keys.

The trick is working out when to have a go and when it makes more sense to ask for advice!

Keep going, it gets easier!

I know where you are coming from mate because I’ve been there. My first time was hell. Didn’t know how the work the tacho machine, first time in a wagon by myself etc. Agency guys like us are used and abused because we’re easy.

As for the tail lift, they are all pretty much the same. The ones that fold under the wagon are a pain though. Fridges though, didn’t have a clue about those. My first time using a fridge I wasn’t even told I had a fridge! I worked out how to use it doing 50 down the A1!

The double rears are a way of spreading the weight. Any that has a double rear is a 26 tonner, just so you know for future reference. As for having them up or down, never bothered with them. You supposed to raise it if you are running empty but I never bother. Not my truck, wasn’t told how to use them, not my problem. If you do raise them though, watch out for the overhang as it will have gotten a lot bigger. You have be extra careful making sharp turns with that rear axle up, you could take out street furniture, other road users or worse, people walking around.

As for being late back, if the delivery was made and nothing was broken/no one was hurt then who gives a dam. I’d rather have a driver who takes ages and gets it done safely than a driver tear arsing about breaking stuff.

Lastly, when in doubt ask another driver. I’ve not met one that has turned me away when I’ve asked for help.

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

Thing is I just want to be safe and know what I’m doing…Tail lift was one that comes out from underneath, I’ve used the the just up and down folding ones (all the other trucks have them) but this was all new to me, the same as the fridge/freezer unit. of which I’d would need to used both as delivering both frozen / chilled / ambient products at once. Pretty sure if I didn’t get the temps right it would be more of a problem.

Overall though after being out with a couple of guys I’ve just got on with it when given my own run, enjoyed it. Bit nervous but enjoyed it the same. Used 3 different trucks one auto, one 6 speed and one range change (passed in a slap over) and didn’t find it difficult to get used to. Fine with the driving side, just need to know the way round the equipment I’m given :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

Took a fridge out once and got the load rejected because I never knew it was on the wrong setting.

First week on my job got to a store and I could not get the load off because I never plugged in the Anderson lead.

Went back to depot with out being tipped.

The most important part of your post is the fridge, ask another driver if the office folk are acting like di*ks
there’s a steep learning curve, I have to admit, God, when I first started I had such a hard time. The quicker I got to class one the easier it got. Never done 7.5 or class 2 once I got on class 1. Too depressing Imo

Bow are u doing the same run or different each time
if its same run, then I understand why they’re getting cheesed off, but ignore it. Take it easy.

Different run everyday for me, most of the guys there do there own runs all the time. Have been back to same place once but even then the run was different. Not too bothered about how long I take really, paid by the hour so takes as long as it takes.

The guy who took the new truck out of Friday refused to take it out again today due to it not being safe, something to do with the tail lift not being correct for cages, so they gave it to another agency guy, then even the staff at his drop commented on the safety of it…Guess that says it all really.

DaveB68:
The guy who took the new truck out of Friday refused to take it out again today due to it not being safe, something to do with the tail lift not being correct for cages,

Clearly you’ve never been almost crushed by 96 kilograms of milk.

If its a different run each time. What the hell are they expecting!
I unexpectedly landed with some irish heavy haulage firms. Absolutely brilliant. Always going to the ports. I love the job . Very easy.

crash course for the fridge,or get someone to set it for you…find any gear,shudder the thing out of the yard,and work it out using a bit of initiative yourself…if you get tipped and do better than this dude,then your well on your way to getting a gold star for being a “professional driver”… youtube.com/watch?v=nZFPflC94pc I always just love it when truckies refer to themselves as “professional drivers” as soon as it suits plod,vosa or the courts,then professional goes right out of the window.

dieseldog999:
crash course for the fridge,or get someone to set it for you…find any gear,shudder the thing out of the yard,and work it out using a bit of initiative yourself…if you get tipped and do better than this dude,then your well on your way to getting a gold star for being a “professional driver”… youtube.com/watch?v=nZFPflC94pc I always just love it when truckies refer to themselves as “professional drivers” as soon as it suits plod,vosa or the courts,then professional goes right out of the window.

LOL It looked serious-Plastic surgery awaits- I cannot believe this !!!

Welcome to the world of agency mate! Go somewhere as a new employee and you get inductions,training.shown how to fill out paperwork,shown how to work trucks,tail lifts etc and all you need to know about the company,its stock and clients. Go there as an agency driver and they chuck you a set of keys,a pile of paperwork and then expect you to know what you are supposed to do. And then moan when it takes you an hour longer than all their own guys whove been with them for years!