Asda Vs Tesco

Hi All I hope you are all keeping well,

I’ve been applying for permanent jobs as I’ve always done agency and I’ve been to two assessments one at Tesco Hinckley and one at Asda ADC Lutterworth both passed and have been offered both but I’m unsure which one to pick as the wages are very much the same I’ve enjoyed doing supermarket work in the past as I like to get on the back instead of just driving all the time.

I was just hoping if any drivers have worked for both or just one and what was there experience with them as I really want to make the right decision as both have a good impression on the interview and assessment.

As I’m 25 I want to try and make a career at one of them.

Thank you much appreciated

I’d pick Asda every time. I have nothing to base that on apart from the fact that I despise Tesco with a passion due to the way they reputedly treat their suppliers coupled to the utter contempt that they treat visiting drivers with.

cant comment , but KRO and SOTV… :wink: :laughing:

m.a.n rules:

Sotv all the way up the blues

If I had to…

Choose one or the other it would be Asda. I’ve driven for both and without fail, I’ve wanted to end my life within an hour of getting getting on site at both of them.
Asda has a better fleet. That’s not saying it’s any good, it’s just better than Tesco’s collection of sheds.

Which do you shop at?
Might as well make use of the discount.

I am ex Tesco at Weybridge and we had the best days of it back then. For what it is worth, Tesco have just given a large pay rise to their drivers and as far as I know, ASDA drivers haven’t been given a rise this year as yet?

I am currently doing Supermarket work again but neither of the above. One of my ex Tesco colleagues recently landed a job at ASDA doing ambient Dartford/Erith way somewhere and he says it is a good easy enjoyable job.

If I lived near the 2 ASDA DC’s in my area then I would probably take a punt on ASDA over Tesco now. Sorry, can’t be of much help but I wouldn’t go back to Tesco now, not even to do agency.

bluesfan1996:

m.a.n rules:

on a serious note mate know 2 blokes who travel from tamworth and have worked for asda 15 years plus… toonsy on here has recently started for tesco and seems happy enough, worth a pm to him for more info…

Curveball here but… why not look at Tesco but at Daventry Frozen? Ten mins further down the A5 from Magna Park but several benefits over Hinckley…

Firstly fixed shifts. No two hour window either way etc so you know when you start work every day.

Secondly much better fleet. Its supermarket stuff still so don’t expect fridges and microwaves but we do at least have (gas) Volvo which are far less spine shattering than any Merc.

Thirdly the mix of work. Depending on what start time you choose, there’s a variety of trunks or store work. Overnights tend to be more trunk work wheraeas during the day its more stores and trunking.

Fourth(ly) no waste runs to RSU sites. We don’t deal with recycling, we just collect empty cages from the final site. That’s it. Sometimes we run to Hinckley RSU but we go there empty to collect… empty cages :laughing:

Finally and most importantly the money is for some reason higher than Hinckley.

As we’re a Frozen hub we look after every Tesco store from Stoke to Southampton. A lot of that will be trunked to other RDCs (Didcot, Peterborough, Avonmouth, Southampton, Dagenham or Snodland) and trailer swapped but if the planners can make a route out of it you get to stretch your legs on store runs from time to time. I was in Romford and Pitsea the other day, which should be Dagenham based but we could fill a trailer so did it ourselves.

I never even thought about supermarket work but honestly its so laid back it’s unreal. No pressure whatsoever. Drop me a PM if you want any more info.

m.a.n rules:

bluesfan1996:

m.a.n rules:

on a serious note mate know 2 blokes who travel from tamworth and have worked for asda 15 years plus… toonsy on here has recently started for tesco and seems happy enough, worth a pm to him for more info…

Right on cue :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i expected no less mate… :wink:

At your age of be considering tesco more than asda just because of the pension. Basically asda pension is the legal minimum company contributions.

You can get much more time off working for asda though because of the lieu/bank holiday policy + they are much more flexible with holiday booking than Tesco.

In terms of the work, for now it’s easier at asda because of the lack of convenience stores but that is going to change in the future with the extra petrol stations incoming. Plus the new asda owners are trying to buy Boots the chemist! Generally fixed start times at Asda none of this 2 for window nonsense.

Asda distribution are currently waiting to see if there will be an improved pay offer or they will ballet for industrial action… Last offer was rejected.

the maoster:
I’d pick Asda every time. I have nothing to base that on apart from the fact that I despise Tesco with a passion due to the way they reputedly treat their suppliers coupled to the utter contempt that they treat visiting drivers with.

Dont sit on the fence maoster say it as it is :smiley: :smiley:

thehairyarsedtrucker:
Dont sit on the fence maoster say it as it is :smiley: :smiley:

The irony is that I’m in a bloody Tesco DC as I type this! :smiley: :imp: :imp:

I’ve been at Tesco for a few years now. Ambient DC so lots of heavy cages with knackered wheels, lots of double deckers, lots of back for,s 2nd runs. Can be hard graft but often finish on 8 or 9 hours. Merc units are rubbish but 100% legal. Did a bit on agency some years back for Asda and it was easier than Tesco. Good benefits with Tesco with holiday entitlement increasing with service.

Asda every time, they still havent had their pay rise and you say ADC so ambient, easier than the fridge side. lots of docks which a warehouse colleague tips you, you just have to undo straps. others, forklift off the back, you pump to the back with an electric pump truck. few cage stores but everything with CDC chilled is cages.
Same start time every day and decent holidays/lieu for bank hols. If you go double lieu you can do a 13hr day on a 9hr contract and have 27 lieu hrs or 3 days in the bank :smiley:

I hope you like working weekends.

As for stores with loading bays, good luck getting them. I was chatting to a driver from Lutt ADC recently and he said nearly 40% of the workforce are on restricted duties. Glass backs they call them. They mop up most of the loading bay work.

I would choose Tesco because they have sharesave scheme and if you are only 25 you have tge potential to make a lot of money if you keep saving for 20 years

Sploom:
I would choose Tesco because they have sharesave scheme and if you are only 25 you have tge potential to make a lot of money if you keep saving for 20 years

Yeah good point, you can potentially make 1000’s from that every year. How’s much can you put in the tesco one every month? & What’s the discount?

Its 20% discount usually and £400 a month