Asda or Maritime?

2 job offers , Asda normanton 55% weekends nights or Maritime Leeds days

What are the shift patterns, and what salary are they each offering?

The fact that you don’t mention the money makes me think it’s not so important to you.

Do you really want to work nights■■?

The Asda pay structure doesn’t reward you for working nights in my opinion (I’m assuming normanton is in house & not contacted out?). Night rate finishes at 6am which ■■■■■■■■ if you’ve worked all night and finish at like 1300, completely unfair.

The maritime is tramping? Or really just days?

What a ■■■■■■■ stupid post. How about you wipe your nose and pull your socks up and choose your own job based on your own circumstances that not one single ■■■■ on here will know!

Maritime is more money and days know nothing about containers seems ok just heard bad news how they treat the drivers can earn over 600 a week in hand days mon fri Asda 15ph 1230 am starts loads weekends 9hr shifts only asking has I’ve not done either that’s all and some on here will know thanks

Id rather maritime than supermarket work.Youll have cages full of drinks struggling to push themand now theyre buying all those petrol stations,not my cup of tea

Sploom:
Id rather maritime than supermarket work.Youll have cages full of drinks struggling to push themand now theyre buying all those petrol stations,not my cup of tea

Is that your own opinion or third party RDC drivers room gossip or is it based on fact because you have actually done work for Asda delivering to all the petrol station they are buying. Just because the brothers own petrol stations does not mean they will be delivering via Asda vehicles.
What suits one does not mean it suits all

Truckyboy1971:
2 job offers , Asda normanton 55% weekends nights or Maritime Leeds days

Asda will be more hands on and possibly keep you fitter than doing container work if that floats your boat. Also nights with Asda is more than the 15 p/h you quoted .

lolipop:

Sploom:

Is that your own opinion or third party RDC drivers room gossip or is it based on fact because you have actually done work for Asda delivering to all the petrol station they are buying. Just because the brothers own petrol stations does not mean they will be delivering via Asda vehicles.

Well the delivery of brand new rigid vehicles (with àsda written on them) in various depots around the country. Plus the fact that they have already announced they will be supplying 200 extra petrol stations by the end of 2022. The other 150 odd left over will join maybe join at a later date, depending on current supplier contacts with spar etc…

Why would anyone buy a supermarket and not integrate their current business into their supplychain?? That’s the question… It makes no sense not to do it.

Supermarket work has fairly structured days, thus you’ll know pretty much when you’re starting and finishing. There’s total load interaction at least to the tail lift, possibly further (depending on which outfit). You can guarantee what time you’ll finish and when you’ll be home.
Containers can only really give you a start time. There is so much that could affect your day. You may even have a night out. There is very little load interaction.
So as everyone has said, what type of lorry driver do you want to be?

I’ve worked at Asda before was days 7 am starts and was done for 5 I’d rather do bit handball tbh just the shifts are offering bit ■■■■ but I imagine once your in there you can swop about and there never on your case i don’t want be doing long hrs really been there done that on general don’t know ■■■■ about containers only that ur hanging about hours and when I’ve mentioned maritime everyone I’ve asked has told me they are awful to work for and it just put me off

Truckyboy1971:
I’ve worked at Asda before was days 7 am starts and was done for 5 I’d rather do bit handball tbh just the shifts are offering bit [zb] but I imagine once your in there you can swop about and there never on your case i don’t want be doing long hrs really been there done that on general don’t know [zb] about containers only that ur hanging about hours and when I’ve mentioned maritime everyone I’ve asked has told me they are awful to work for and it just put me off

You are put on a rota that will NEVER change.

2 weekends off together then mon-Tue off then odd thursday off spread over 8 days!

Asda was not for me.Crap cages…
2 drops ment unloading first store chill then moving next store chill to get to 1st store frozen.

Asda are one of those firms who pay a average basic but throw the premiums to buff your wage.

As for knowing when your going home…
Many time I had to sit in the cab for 1hr 15 as they wouldnt send me on other run as I was on 7hr 45 duty!!

If you want to see your last days and have a ex store shop manager tell u you your MPG needs attention then go for it.

Baldbloke is at the Avonmouth depot which seems to be Run alot better than the one I was at, at Lutterworth.

lolipop:

Sploom:

Yes,it is my experience,I worked for them.The wheels on the cages are not up to the job.out of every load,one or two of them will have bad wheels,you will struggle to push it

buses:

Truckyboy1971:
I’ve worked at Asda before was days 7 am starts and was done for 5 I’d rather do bit handball tbh just the shifts are offering bit [zb] but I imagine once your in there you can swop about and there never on your case i don’t want be doing long hrs really been there done that on general don’t know [zb] about containers only that ur hanging about hours and when I’ve mentioned maritime everyone I’ve asked has told me they are awful to work for and it just put me off

You are put on a rota that will NEVER change.

2 weekends off together then mon-Tue off then odd thursday off spread over 8 days!

Asda was not for me.Crap cages…
2 drops ment unloading first store chill then moving next store chill to get to 1st store frozen.

Asda are one of those firms who pay a average basic but throw the premiums to buff your wage.

As for knowing when your going home…
Many time I had to sit in the cab for 1hr 15 as they wouldnt send me on other run as I was on 7hr 45 duty!!

If you want to see your last days and have a ex store shop manager tell u you your MPG needs attention then go for it.

Baldbloke is at the Avonmouth depot which seems to be Run alot better than the one I was at, at Lutterworth.

Every asda depot is run different but rotas generally change every 12-18 months, that’s not to say everybody’s rota will change every time just depends which they need to change.
Your start time normally won’t change or very minimally, they do take into account length of service, infringements & on the road accidents if there’s a clash of people.
The last major change last time was moving the bulk of drivers from 4x11.25hr shifts onto 5x9hr shifts.

Iv posted before about maritime and if you fancy been spoken to like crap,watched on a driver facing camera,been ordered about by a young pointy shoe brycreme boy them maritime is your bag…
I wouldn’t work for them for £50 an hour,
Seen many an old experienced driver go there and get brainwashed in to the “maritime way”
I’d go to Asda,I tried to get in there for years but for some reason it just wasn’t ment to be.
Cue all the “if your doing nothing wrong nothing to hide” mob pipe up now about the camera situation…

Not a difficult choice, nice cushy own account job with all the benefits v 2 bob hire and reward circus.

An interesting choice.

One place is utter crap (I have worked for 1 JHW - His private plate on his very expensive car driving around the yard pretending he knows every driver and is their best mate) and the other place I have delivered to on many an occasion and is also crap (One of my mates works out of ASDA Warrington and said it’s worse than having a cactus booted up your ringpiece & is starting a new job next week).

So there you have it pal, turd vs turd.

Containers will get you more sociable hours (albeit longer) than Asda and you will get more variety in the job, however it can drive you totally nuts hanging round in places for hours on end and getting stuck in massive queues in cesspits like Frieghtliner trying to get boxes lifted. Day work will be mostly local, you get peaks and troughs in workload through the year depending on the container volumes. Do expect to get messed about though as is par for the course with the big logistics players. I did a good stint for Maritime and didn’t find them too bad in the grand scheme of working for that sort of outfit, was happy when I left though.