Asda Avonmouth recruiting

They’re after 10 drivers for nights starting between 22.00 - 23.30 and it’ll be a 36 hr contract to start with so that’s 4 x 9 hr shifts, it won’t suit a lot of you but somebody may find it of interest, obviously being a supermarket weekend work would entail you’ll have to apply via the Asda jobsite website.

Decent of you to put that up here BB.

Hope it does someone a good turn, beats the hell out of much that’s about otherwise.
Purely out of interest is nights permanent or can you, after a time has elapsed, put yourself up for swapping to other shifts, ie days, as and when they become available.

Just as long as you want the worst pension available, and don’t mind enforced overtime paid at standard rate :unamused:
You might get 2 hrs a week at actual overtime rate, at least that seems the strategy.
Night rate is only from 2200 -0600 so any overtime you do will also be on day rate

Juddian:

Hope it does someone a good turn, beats the hell out of much that’s about otherwise.
Purely out of interest is nights permanent or can you, after a time has elapsed, put yourself up for swapping to other shifts, ie days, as and when they become available.

Yes you can get off of nights after a while, when a slot becomes available.

The takeover is also due to complete next week so who knows what will happen next

Sadly good pensions are disappearing faster than honourable politicians and our freedom, and as some of my older colleagues from previous jobs found out to their cost the promises and previous history of good pension payouts whilst they were contributing turned out to be nothing like as expected/forecast by the time it was their turn to claim.

That’s what we need in my area, an Asda or a Tesco rdc rocking up here,.and employing direct full time drivers.
I’d be in there like a shot,…as I’m sure most of the drivers in my area would be who work for the sorry arsed selection of ■■■■ poor firms around here.
Said firms would sure as hell have to clean up their acts, offer more money, better terms, and cut all the camera type crap to keep the decent drivers amongst all the dross.

I reckon I’d find the night hours a bit difficult, but I suppose you can get used to it.

Juddian:

You can get off them in time there’s so many different start times you can make yourself available for anything really. Eventually a 45 hr slot will become available too as drivers either leave or reduce their hours.

robroy:
I reckon I’d find the night hours a bit difficult, but I suppose you can get used to it.

I’ve done nights several times over a number of years on various good jobs over the years (think 5 years was the longest before that died a death, poor management as usual), didn’t want to but the only job available where i am now was nights to start, it has its benefits and firms like mine and the supermarkets don’t expect you to be working the bloody 70 hour weeks too many of the other sort think is still normal for a wage that should be for 40/44, i averaged a 35 hour week on nights which is around what night work should be in this day and age.

O/T at standard rate ■■? Drover, I don’t think so , you must be at a wincanton site , with shift rate allowances, you would be on over £20 for O/T. Plus on that sort of rota you would have lots of rest day working available, earning potential = at lot !!!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Tangray:
O/T at standard rate ■■? Drover, I don’t think so , you must be at a wincanton site , with shift rate allowances, you would be on over £20 for O/T. Plus on that sort of rota you would have lots of rest day working available, earning potential = at lot !!!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

It’s a 36hr contact, overtime rate starts at 45hrs.

Yes if you can get the hours there’s good money to be made, but it seems they just want to get you to do the 45hrs only so they get another 9hrs out of you at flat rate & cover the longer runs

bald bloke:

Juddian:

You can get off them in time there’s so many different start times you can make yourself available for anything really. Eventually a 45 hr slot will become available too as drivers either leave or reduce their hours.

That’s interesting in regards to your “45 hour slot becoming available” comment and I think highlights why drivers are often their own worst enemy in regards of hours worked in this industry. As you stated, the initial contract offered is 36 hours which is very rare to non existent and yet the natural response from an awful lot of drivers is that they would want more than that.

I currently work class 1 for a high street retailer, same principle of working for the supermarkets e.g unionised, decent hours, good pay, t&c’s etc. We are contracted to 8.75 hours a day 5 day rota (43.75 a week), hourly paid and guaranteed your 8.75 pay daily even if you go home after say 6 or 7 hours, which isn’t an unusual occurrence and yet we get drivers moaning at our place that they aren’t getting enough “long days”.

It baffles the hell out of me because if you go home early you still get a full days pay and if you work over your 8.75 which happens due to the nature of the job sometimes you get OT as OT is paid daily at our place and not weekly. It means you benefit both ways and you will regularly end up with OT hours in a week but not go over your weekly contracted hours. Yet this still isn’t enough for some - you just can’t win!

Same everywhere I’ve worked.
A young man,with a couple of kids and a mortgage,is obviously going to want more hours than an older chap who hasn’t.
Good management is the key to keeping everyone sweet.

I work there, job is boring but easy work. No challenge whatsoever.

I’m on 36 hour contract but 3x12 hour shift’s on nights. I normally average 13 hours per shift and I work 2 rest days per 4 weekly pay period. My gross annual for that is approximately 38k.
Decent money for little effort and loads of time off which is how it should be. How long this will last after the takeover is anyone’s guess.
Plenty of drivers there earning around the 50k mark but average is probably about 40k.
Transport team are good blokes, keep your nose clean and you’re left alone. Never pushed hard. Very very occasional night out, I’ve had 5 in 7 years, normally only due to breakdown or traffic.
One of the better jobs about, but crap pension.

tmcassett:

bald bloke:

Juddian:

That’s interesting in regards to your “45 hour slot becoming available” comment and I think highlights why drivers are often their own worst enemy in regards of hours worked in this industry. As you stated, the initial contract offered is 36 hours which is very rare to non existent and yet the natural response from an awful lot of drivers is that they would want more than that.

I currently work class 1 for a high street retailer, same principle of working for the supermarkets e.g unionised, decent hours, good pay, t&c’s etc. We are contracted to 8.75 hours a day 5 day rota (43.75 a week), hourly paid and guaranteed your 8.75 pay daily even if you go home after say 6 or 7 hours, which isn’t an unusual occurrence and yet we get drivers moaning at our place that they aren’t getting enough “long days”.

It baffles the hell out of me because if you go home early you still get a full days pay and if you work over your 8.75 which happens due to the nature of the job sometimes you get OT as OT is paid daily at our place and not weekly. It means you benefit both ways and you will regularly end up with OT hours in a week but not go over your weekly contracted hours. Yet this still isn’t enough for some - you just can’t win!

That’s why last year when I turned 55 I reduced my hours down to 36 (3 x 12) as I didn’t want to be one of these more older type drivers who’s kids have left home and mortgage paid off but still doing long hours. These new job would probably suit someone who wanted to have more time off and didn’t want to rely on chasing the hours.

bald bloke:

bald:
That’s why last year when I turned 55 I reduced my hours down to 36 (3 x 12) as I didn’t want to be one of these more older type drivers who’s kids have left home and mortgage paid off but still doing long hours. These new job would probably suit someone who wanted to have more time off and didn’t want to rely on chasing the hours.

And that’s the way it should be BB, more companies need to start introducing these types of hours into the job otherwise in my opinion there will be a shortage in the future. If you want long hours then fair enough but it shouldn’t be a given that just because your a driver its the norm. I’m only 37 with a 3 year old daughter and a mortgage and I dont want 50+ hour weeks.

I’m lucky as I have a job mentioned above in my last post where I average around 38-42 hours most weeks and I have a good life outside work to do hobbies and see family etc but sadly we are in the minority.