Asda and next work

I am going to be doing some agency work for asda and next
but not done work like that before so any information would
be very much appreciated. For asda I think there is an induction
don’t know how long they are and you get a photo ID green card
I believe at the end.

Thanks

You get a card in asda after sitting in a room for an hour and does you for a year. ■■■■ easy work.

The green card is just an induction really, more for using their double deckers and tail lift training.

I was expecting 1 maybe 2 days induction showing you
how the fridges work ect a driving assessment possibly
some classroom stuff like how they do there paper work
and videos on H&S, Cages ect.

After the year and the card expires is it as hard to renew lol

Kerbdog:
The green card is just an induction really, more for using their double deckers and tail lift training.

I am used to pulling double deckers as for tail lifts I have
used them a little so might learn something there

Re - Next I don’t much about the store side but trunk runs were easily done with no rush, they do like breaks to be taken in their depots or they did do when I was doing trunk runs from South Elmsall

I’m assuming when Convoy is asking about Asda he’s on about the old Netto place at south elmsall Y/N??

The induction there is min 6hrs (unpaid), and likewise the induction next door at next is 6hrs+
It’s more of a case of keeping your gob shut listen, and not ask questions. Because the more Q’s you ask the longer it’ll take

There was a thread recently about this when someone else (local) asked the same question. As the usual hecklers against free inductions and agy workers in general popped up. There’s a revolving door at asda as it seems drivers are only wanting the “green card”

Pierre I never did an induction at Next other than a one hour walk round before i started work. Might be because I just did trunk runs■■?

Must be different at Bedford then, i got paid for all me induction time, probably 4/5 hours then sent out to do a Stevenage and Hatfield two dropper. The trainers were decent blokes, not trying to teach experienced blokes the blindingly obvious but explaining procedures and routines fully.

Certainly friendlier than the hostility sometimes found at George admin.

Incidentally i recently worked with an old school proper driver who jacked in George and went on agency, i understand he wasn’t the only one… :open_mouth:

The Green Card at Asda lasts more than a year . . . I’ve had mine over 6 years!

But no Green Card, no work.

Stan

Stanley Knife:
But no Green Card, no work.

Stan

thats the one point i was going to make

The green card (which is a laminated card cut out about the size of a credit card, that is white and blue rather than green) lasts your lifetime. It does need renewing every 12 months though but once the induction is done (which is 3 hours of common sense really) you don’t need to re-sit it.

The double deckers at ASDA are a bit different to others, its not so much the driving of them even though they are 16.0ft, it’s more the operation of the hydrolic floor, there are certain proceedures to adhere to and also stuff like how to reset the suspension (which is different to your normal trailers and wont correct itself after you’ve unplugged your anderson lead).

A lot of it is just stuff like, don’t jump out of the cab, turn around and climb down the steps or what you can collect from stores and when after a delivery. So easy is the work though.

As for the fridges, I know how they work but in ASDA I’ve never had to set one, just flick the on and off switch when needed. If you are worried about fridges and how they work then there is plenty of help on this forum that will suffice.

Norfolknewbie:
Pierre I never did an induction at Next other than a one hour walk round before i started work. Might be because I just did trunk runs■■?

I can only state my experiences at local sites, a couple of years ago the next was 6hrs+ after I’d been told its only an hour long.
The asda I did 2-3 weeks ago and that was 6hrs+ the card is in fact green and is valid for 1 year from issue, and I’m in asda for a run at 07:00 this morning

i found asda boring and long hours with stupid planning and backloads mind you that was back in the late 90’s so maybe they have changed. yet i know others that loved it, others that moved on and regretted it too, on agency when you can pick and choose when to work i think it would be better as the shift patterns were terrible too :open_mouth: .

The next work is out of South Emsall and asda is
at redhouse doncaster. Thanks for all the info and
I be sure to ask If I need any more help :smiley:

convoy:
The next work is out of South Emsall and asda is
at redhouse doncaster. Thanks for all the info and
I be sure to ask If I need any more help :smiley:

I used to do trunk runs for next through topgear agy a couple of years ago. The runs were as far as I can remember , Motherwell, abingdon,bristol,ockendon,hemel and the odd bradford run…

The good points were, dead easy work and good for getting a few hours in…

The bad points were that on occasion you would turn up and there maybe about 20 drivers all sat waiting for a load,and up to christmas was the worst period as it is every where I guess.

I didn’t mind the waiting for a load bit because you were being paid for each hour worked but some were not too happy as you could sit four hours plus at times…If I remember the motors were all fairly well kept and no one bothered you if the work got done.

I only ever did a couple of shop runs both to Newcastle there and back in no time so not as lucrative as the trunking :wink:

Good luck with it and keep in mind that the above was 2-3 years ago and obviously topgear no longer run the contarct I dont think.

Oh and I nearly forgot come winter time and the first sign of windy weather and the agency boys used to get the double deckers :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I have been told the next work is all trunking and no store work.
I have an induction with next at South Emsall where do I need to be?

Elmsall Way Warehouse & Distribution Centre, South Elmsall, West Yorkshire, WF9 2XT

Elmsall Drive Warehouse, South Elmsall, West Yorkshire, WF9 2RH

Stadium Way Warehouse, South Elmsall, West Yorkshire, WF9 2XR

Stadium Two Warehouse, South Elmsall, West Yorkshire, WF9 2XS

AFAIK you should report to the gatehouse, the one next to the staff shop down the road from the old netto on the same side as " the netto gatehouse".
however the car park you should use is is 50m slightly further on across the road from the gatehouse

I concur with above with addition that there is also a car park straight on, they will ask you at gatehouse when you walk in what you are there for. Trunking is easy money I used to start around 1pm and mainly do the trunk up to Johnstone Bridge nice steady 50mph and 40mph run up there over A66 will get you 9hours in no worries. Next used to like to see time spent on checks and I assume they still do as I worked there in 2009/2010 on agency