Asbestos

Does anyone know if taking asbestos to landfill requires any special license or ADR or is it a matter of orange plates and away u go. What are the consequences for not complying.

Boris1971:
Does anyone know if taking asbestos to landfill requires any special license or ADR or is it a matter of orange plates and away u go. What are the consequences for not complying.

I don’t know too much about it but you can’t just dump asbestos on landfill sites, I could be wrong about this but I believe the consequences are quite serious and could potentially involve a stay in one of her majesties hotels if substantial amounts of asbestos are dumped in unauthorised places.

I don’t have time to study it myself right now but you should be able to find the information you want here asbestos essentials

Everything to do with asbestos is controlled from removal to it’s final resting place, if in doubt seek advice.

Boris1971:

Hi Boris1971,

Sorry mate, but you haven’t provided quite enough info that would allow anybody to give anything other than a very general answer. :frowning:

As already mentioned, every aspect of the removal/transporting of asbestos is controlled.
You’ve mentioned “landfill,” so I’m guessing that you mean waste asbestos, and again as already said, you can’t just dump asbestos on any landfill site.

In order to carry waste asbestos, your company/firm must be a registered/licenced waste carrier.
The people asking you to carry the waste asbestos must be a registered/licenced consignor of waste.
You can only take waste asbestos to a disposal site that is registered/licenced to receive/handle/dispose of waste asbestos.

Some types of waste asbestos counts as dangerous goods, and so an ADR licence might be needed by a driver driving a vehicle carrying waste asbestos, but this will depend on the type and quantity of waste asbestos carried on board the vehicle.

IF an ADR licence is needed, the minimum requirement will be that the driver has completed an ADR course covering Core module, Packages module and UN Class 9.

:bulb: In what you’re considering, it’s important to realise that the Waste Regs and ADR are two completely separate sets of Regs, but that you’d have to comply with all applicable parts of both sets of Regs at the same time.

Cheers diesel, All the paperwork, notes etc spot on, registered carrier., registered disposal firm all doubled bagged and sealed in a skip, whites suits etc on asbestos part of landfill etc. but as the driver no one has told me it is any different than any other load and was wondering if I should have orange rectangle or treat it as say carrying normal waste. Thanks in advance for any help.

Boris1971:
Cheers diesel, All the paperwork, notes etc spot on, registered carrier., registered disposal firm all doubled bagged and sealed in a skip, whites suits etc on asbestos part of landfill etc. but as the driver no one has told me it is any different than any other load and was wondering if I should have orange rectangle or treat it as say carrying normal waste. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Boris1971,

All points taken, but… from my post above:

dieseldave:
Some types of waste asbestos counts as dangerous goods, and so an ADR licence might be needed by a driver driving a vehicle carrying waste asbestos, but this will depend on the type and quantity of waste asbestos carried on board the vehicle.

If you could answer this, I can give you the answer that you’re looking for.

Which type of waste asbestos are you carrying, white? Blue? Brown?
Do you have a UN Number for it? (Four digits with the letters “UN” written before the four digits??)
How much waste asbestos will you carry at a time in Kgs??

You can’t just put orange plates on and imagine that that’s the end of your/your company’s ADR compliance question cos it just doesn’t work like that. :wink:

:bulb: If you can give me answers, then I can give you answers, but until then, nobody knows anything. :smiley: :grimacing: