As if the M1 doesn't have enough road works

They start some more up past Sheffield and Rotherham,from 8th May for 72 weeks ffs

J19 to J16 is now to J15 so that’s been extended :open_mouth:

That’s me ■■■■■■ then :unamused: North or South bloody hell :imp:

WTF.
When are the going to finish Chesterfield ? I’ve stopped using that poxy section for the last 6 months & very rarely use 15-19 at the moment, just as quick using the A5 especially as it’s 50 now (same as the motorway)
& bloody Cannock-Stafford on the M6, are they using bloody Teaspoons to dig it up ?
& don’t get me started on the M62/M61 around Manchester, suppose that’ll be another 3 years of hell.

martinviking:
WTF.
When are the going to finish Chesterfield ? I’ve stopped using that poxy section for the last 6 months & very rarely use 15-19 at the moment, just as quick using the A5 especially as it’s 50 now (same as the motorway)
& bloody Cannock-Stafford on the M6, are they using bloody Teaspoons to dig it up ?
& don’t get me started on the M62/M61 around Manchester, suppose that’ll be another 3 years of hell.

The M180/A180 is getting night works now too.

Radar19:

martinviking:
WTF.

The M180/A180 is getting night works now too.

We very rarely use that, but I’m surprised they haven’t got long term roadworks on the A1 up that way, just to mess us about a bit. (Apart from that silly bit at Elkesley, that they’ve been doing since the Bloody Romans first built the bleeding thing)

martinviking:

Took me an hour to get from Milnrow > M602 westbound yesterday. Bloody nightmare. Annoying thing is that a ‘smart motorway’ won’t make a scrap of difference along that stretch, just like it hasn’t J10-8 of the M6 South.

And once the barrier is in place 19-16 you can think again if you think that will be cone free. Smart motorway lined up there. Still TBC but you can bet it’ll be immediately after the barrier is done later in the year.

rob22888:

martinviking:

Took me an hour to get from Milnrow > M602 westbound yesterday. Bloody nightmare. Annoying thing is that a ‘smart motorway’ won’t make a scrap of difference along that stretch, just like it hasn’t J10-8 of the M6 South.

I hate going that way. We have a drop in Liverpool that got moved from 6am to 8am, this means I now hit traffic around Manchester. I’m always late for that drop now.

Beggersbanquet:
They start some more up past Sheffield and Rotherham,from 8th May for 72 weeks ffs

And it looks like the cameras are switched on at 50mph.

Ken.

Beggersbanquet:

I’ve been told there’s been some sort of balls up with the newly installed concrete barrier, if you look there’s markings all over it where the concrete is blowing apart, just a short 12 mile section! word is the whole lot has to come out!

Beggersbanquet:

Smart Motorway :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Moose:

Beggersbanquet:

I’ve been told there’s been some sort of balls up with the newly installed concrete barrier, if you look there’s markings all over it where the concrete is blowing apart, just a short 12 mile section! word is the whole lot has to come out!

I wondered what they were going to do,and the timescale sort of matches up too. Upgrading to smart motorway takes longer and I don’t think that section even needs it

Beggersbanquet:
I wondered what they were going to do,and the timescale sort of matches up too. Upgrading to smart motorway takes longer and I don’t think that section even needs it

It’s been planned for years
assets.highways.gov.uk.s3.amazon … 0proof.pdf

highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p … ons-32-35a

martinviking:
just as quick using the A5 especially as it’s 50 now (same as the motorway)

…er…the speed limit on motorways for LGVs is 60!!

It will go past Junction 36 soon too as they’re going to be restructuring the junction and putting in a gyratory to get stright onto the Dearne Valley Parkway where they’re building a new retail park.

Born Idle:

martinviking:
just as quick using the A5 especially as it’s 50 now (same as the motorway)

…er…the speed limit on motorways for LGVs is 60!!

…er… Between 15 & 19/Catthorpe, through the roadworks its 50 for everyone at the moment.

i cant see why upgrading to these smart motorways takes so long, i used to do steel fixing and one of the bases that they use for these matrix sign we could fix and pour in 2 days, they can resurface a motorway of about 5 miles long in about a week then maybe a couple of weeks to lay cabling, steel erectors could have one matrix a night up at least, so where do they get the 3 years from, i can understand that they might need to reinforce the hard shoulder a bit but come on, these jobs are dragged out to the death, even with h and s there is no excuse

Plugster:
i cant see why upgrading to these smart motorways takes so long, i used to do steel fixing and one of the bases that they use for these matrix sign we could fix and pour in 2 days, they can resurface a motorway of about 5 miles long in about a week then maybe a couple of weeks to lay cabling, steel erectors could have one matrix a night up at least, so where do they get the 3 years from, i can understand that they might need to reinforce the hard shoulder a bit but come on, these jobs are dragged out to the death, even with h and s there is no excuse

It probably takes so long is because someone is making a nice little earner from it all.

Plugster:

Not that I don’t think the work times are a tad excessive, there is probably more to it than meets the eye. I’d wager that more than 50% of the work is just keeping the motorway open. When they have night closures they quite often aren’t actually doing any actual roadworks, just moving the cones around and repainting lines so they can carry out the next task in extremely limited space.