As a truck driver, which European language is best to learn

Star down under.:
I’m prepared to lay odds that the OP is not averse to a bit of manual labour, unlike yourself, which was the reason for your dazzling failure.

I don’t mind manual work. I’m currently a warehouse operative and I do a lot of loading and unloading lorries. I don’t know how this relates to Euro work. Maybe you meant that the person who you are replying to lacks work ethic which explains his failure to land a Euro job?

Harry Monk:

Franglais:
“from countries with post-Communist economies being admitted en masse into the eu.”
As opposed to what?

Expanding the eu slowly, one or two countries at a time once their economies were robust enough to permit existing members to withstand the social impact of their joining, as had happened ever since the eu was first formed?

You mean like along the lines of an EU minimum wage and operating costs brought into line using local taxation if required.
Also a ban on trucks from one state hauling freight between two other different ones also cabotage.

SeaOcean:

Star down under.:
I’m prepared to lay odds that the OP is not averse to a bit of manual labour, unlike yourself, which was the reason for your dazzling failure.

I don’t mind manual work. I’m currently a warehouse operative and I do a lot of loading and unloading lorries. I don’t know how this relates to Euro work. Maybe you meant that the person who you are replying to lacks work ethic which explains his failure to land a Euro job?

The other posters are referring to “Carryfast”, a TruckNet member who had broadly the same dream as you but lacked the gumption to ever achieve this dream, even in the heyday of contiinental work in the 1980s, when thousands upon thousands of British drivers found continental work often within days or weeks of passing their Class 1 test, preferring instead to blame his spectacular failure on a belief that the British continental haulage industry was tightly controlled by a secretive clique who conspired, using secret handshakes and mystic magick to exclude him from the entire sector because his “face didn’t fit” and who claims that anyone who did do such work had benefitted from some type of grossly unfair favouritism.

SeaOcean:

Star down under.:

You’ve nailedit, SeaOcean. Carryfast is the only person on earth who believes that truck drivers don’t have to leave the drivers’ seat. Everyone else is aware that there are various, peripheral tasks for which the driver is responsible.
i.e.
Assist with un/loading
Supervise loading.
Load security.
Vehicle presentation.
Minor maintenance.
Wheel changing.
That list is not comprehensive or applicable to all roles.
Truck drivers are not prima donnas, but any driver who performs all tasks with diligence, safety and in a timely fashion, will always be in demand.
I wish you well in your endeavour.

SeaOcean:
I don’t mind going for few weeks traveling. In fact I like the idea. I don’t have a family to worry about. I just need a place to shower and eat. A gym would be great too but I can always do body workouts until I get to a gym. Yes I’ll miss my friends but I only see them once or twice a month anywa.

Not a criticism here btw, just an observation. :smiley:

How times (and drivers) have changed.
When some of us were younger away tramping, sure we (or some of us anyway :smiley: )prioritised in finding somewhere for a shower on a night out, and we definitely went looking for good food, …
But the priority for a good night out wasn’t a ■■■■ gym, :unamused: …it was a good bar, the nearest shady ‘den of eniquity’ , that had a bit of …'entertainment ’ with a couple of strippers…
. :laughing: happy days.

Same with my two lads,.they told me they had joined the local Rugby Club social club,.when I told them that I also used to go there in my 20s,.I was put right down with a …
‘‘Yeah Dad, but you would have been in the bar, we joined for the gym facilities’’ :laughing:

Franglais:

Harry Monk:

Franglais:
For those prepared to re-locate, having an EU rather than a UK passport would mean a much greater choice of possible employers for anyone.

You just can’t resist banging that big blue eu drum, can you? The rich irony being that the whole reason for the annihilation of the British international road transport industry was competition from countries with post-Communist economies being admitted en masse into the eu.

“You just can’t resist banging that big blue eu drum, can you?”
As opposed to pretending that everything EU is bad?
The EU is far from perfect, but denying any good is dishonest.

“from countries with post-Communist economies being admitted en masse into the eu.”
As opposed to what?
After decades of the West telling the Communists and their satellites to over throw their regimes and join us, to keep them out?
The integration of the ex-commie-blok cost me as it cost all of us.
Rarely in life does everything go forward smoothly.

And to keep nearer the topic, do you disagree that there are more opportunities for EU passport holders in Euro driving than for UK passport holders?

I’m pro EU and think leaving will prove to be one of the biggest mistakes this country ever made, if it isn’t already, but my god you could turn even me into a rabid red faced brexiteer the tedious amount you bang this drum.

Harry Monk:

SeaOcean:

Star down under.:

The other posters are referring to “Carryfast”, a TruckNet member who had broadly the same dream as you but lacked the gumption to ever achieve this dream, even in the heyday of contiinental work in the 1980s, when thousands upon thousands of British drivers found continental work often within days or weeks of passing their Class 1 test, preferring instead to blame his spectacular failure on a belief that the British continental haulage industry was tightly controlled by a secretive clique who conspired, using secret handshakes and mystic magick to exclude him from the entire sector because his “face didn’t fit” and who claims that anyone who did do such work had benefitted from some type of grossly unfair favouritism.

As I said it’s the OPs choice who and what to believe.
Bearing in mind the irony of your case at best actually proving mine, as to the arbitrary nature of the career progression regime which applies within the industry.
The OP can believe that UK driving ‘experience’ will count for anything if trying to progress to international work if he chooses.
As opposed to sheer who you know and right place at the right time luck.
As for the language issue being able to learn enough of a lot of the many different languages you’ll encounter travelling around Europe is better than learning just one of them fluently.

switchlogic:
I’m pro EU and think leaving will prove to be one of the biggest mistakes this country ever made, if it isn’t already, but my god you could turn even me into a rabid red faced brexiteer the tedious amount you bang this drum

Here is the post I made

Franglais:
There are some international jobs around still, but not as many as before. There are some companies that will take on younger drivers, and after a few months UK give them a run over the water.

For those prepared to re-locate, having an EU rather than a UK passport would mean a much greater choice of possible employers for anyone.

Accurate I think? No-one has disputed it.
Any “drum banging” going on there? Any pushing a point of view?
No. Just a short statement of fact. A fact that the OP might find useful, get an Eire passport if eligible, and so get a better choice of jobs.

When the thread moved on, I certainly did say more, but I`m not going to self censor to avoid the drum-banging of others.

Sorry, double post

Wow old Frangers is even wearing down his like minded pro EU ‘colleagues’ with his whinging., and his pining for the ‘Glory days’. :open_mouth:
As for perpetual drum banging 2 words…
Brexit and thread.

You need to find another subject to turn into a bizzare hobby mate, what about the Covid pandemic?
Oh hang on a minute… :neutral_face:

#justcouldntresist. :blush:
:laughing:

SeaOcean:

mrginge:
Just to add people will say the only EU work left for UK companies is tour work where they can be gone for months but as a tip try and look out for the trucks with “Angles morts” stickers and UK stickers on the back (Ones with GB if they go over the water still should have replaced them so might mean they have not been over in some time). I do plenty of 1 week trips and up to 3 weeks a couple of times a year.

I don’t mind going for few weeks traveling. In fact I like the idea. I don’t have a family to worry about. I just need a place to shower and eat. A gym would be great too but I can always do body workouts until I get to a gym. Yes I’ll miss my friends but I only see them once or twice a month anyway so it’s not a problem for me.

Similar circumstances to myself, I’m not one of these lot with loads of hair growing out my ears talking about the good old days. Passed my test at 21 and first went to Europe when 26, now 35 so I don’t have previous experience of what it used to be like. All I can say is though with the right company you can make good money and have good experiences. Two weekends ago I was parked up outside Munich, in a hotel for the weekend and went to watch Bayern Munich play, it was St Patrick day in Munich that weekend and I went to a a beer hall later. Can’t comment on the local gyms though :laughing:

Franglais:

switchlogic:
I’m pro EU and think leaving will prove to be one of the biggest mistakes this country ever made, if it isn’t already, but my god you could turn even me into a rabid red faced brexiteer the tedious amount you bang this drum

Here is the post I made

Franglais:
There are some international jobs around still, but not as many as before. There are some companies that will take on younger drivers, and after a few months UK give them a run over the water.

No. Just a short statement of fact. A fact that the OP might find useful, get an Eire passport if eligible, and so get a better choice of jobs.

When the thread moved on, I certainly did say more, but I`m not going to self censor to avoid the drum-banging of others.

Not doubting it being factual. It’s just getting remarkably tedious

Thank you Harry Monk and Star down under. I understand now. I hope he gets rid of these limiting beliefs

robroy:
When some of us were younger away tramping, sure we (or some of us anyway :smiley: )prioritised in finding somewhere for a shower on a night out, and we definitely went looking for good food, …
But the priority for a good night out wasn’t a [zb] gym, :unamused: …it was a good bar, the nearest shady ‘den of eniquity’ , that had a bit of …'entertainment ’ with a couple of strippers…

Same with my two lads,.they told me they had joined the local Rugby Club social club,.when I told them that I also used to go there in my 20s,.I was put right down with a …
‘‘Yeah Dad, but you would have been in the bar, we joined for the gym facilities’’ :laughing:

To be fair I’m not the most sociable person. But I do think social media changed things. Even strippers don’t need to go to clubs any more. They can do Onlyfans from their homes. I live in a shared house and one of my house mates is a chubby girl who does Onlyfans. She works 2-4 hours a week which earns her enough to pay for all her expenses including rent and weed !

Things change very fast

SeaOcean:
I’m going to be a truck driver soon (currently training for class 2) and as a side hobby, I want to learn a new language. My ultimate dream is to become a class 1 driver and drive across Europe. So I figured why not learn a language that will serve me best as a truck driver; French, German or Spanish?

I suppose it will depend on which country I’ll be delivering to most. I don’t know the answer to that, so I’m just asking based on your experience which of those three languages is more likely to serve me best as a truck driver.

I can’t actually help you with your desire to be a truck driver and head off round Europe. For clarity, I am a class 1 driver myself but have never done continental driving as I have only been in the industry for 11 years and quite frankly it has never been of interest to me.

But a couple of bits of info for your benefit - Ignore any advice, opinion or stories from Carryfast, a man who was desperate to do the same as you but in the heyday or Euro driving of the 80’s & 90’s and yet failed miserably (Seemingly impossible in those days). As have been evident when he posts on here everytime the subject comes up, instead choosing to blame everything but his terrible attitude and even worse work ethic for why no employer would go near him and coming up with the laughable excuse that the entire HGV industry conspired against him and that his face didn’t fit.

This forum is filled with experienced guys who have vast amounts of knowledge in this area - either from a past life or more recent times and I see some of those have already replied to you, so take their advice and ask questions as they will be able to help with things like where and how to get a start. My own take on it would be, find local companies or even further afield to you that do this sort of work, visit them, get your face known, make your intentions clear. Maybe they won’t have anything for you at that moment but be persistent and you increase your chances. Basically be proactive.

Carryfast:
Bearing in mind the irony of your case at best actually proving mine, as to the arbitrary nature of the career progression regime which applies within the industry.
The OP can believe that UK driving ‘experience’ will count for anything if trying to progress to international work if he chooses.
As opposed to sheer who you know and right place at the right time luck.
As for the language issue being able to learn enough of a lot of the many different languages you’ll encounter travelling around Europe is better than learning just one of them fluently.

I do believe experience and hard work is very important but networking is extremely important too. I’m not neglecting this point. Most people prefer to work with who they know and trust over someone they don’t know. I think that’s normal. My cousin runs a successful service business and he always stresses this point.

Franglais:

switchlogic:

Here is the post I made

Franglais:

I will consider an Eire passport if I find it really difficult. There might be an easier way though. I’ll see what happens.

Carryfast:

You mean like a forum full of drivers who successfully did Euro driving work without any issue whatsoever, while you used every excuse under the sun to try and justify why you were the only one who could not find employment doing such! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

SeaOcean:

robroy:
But the priority for a good night out wasn’t a [zb] gym, :unamused: …it was a good bar, the nearest shady ‘den of eniquity’ , that had a bit of …'entertainment ’ with a couple of strippers…

To be fair I’m not the most sociable person. But I do think social media changed things. Even strippers don’t need to go to clubs any more. They can do Onlyfans from their homes. I live in a shared house and one of my house mates is a chubby girl who does Onlyfans. She works 2-4 hours a week which earns her enough to pay for all her expenses including rent and weed !

Things change very fast

I know the far end of f/all about ‘Onlyfans’ mate, but I’m getting the vibe that it is a ‘service’ provided by women, for sad assed male loners who sit and perv over a screen with only one hand free…Am I anywhere near?

Going out with a few mates, or a few drivers who have just happened to park up together (as you did in those days) is/was just a bit of harmless fun…as long as the girl is ok with that, so I fail to see how the two scenarios are comparable.

Things have changed sure, but not always for the better,.and especially in this ■■■■ job. :unamused:

mrginge:
Similar circumstances to myself, I’m not one of these lot with loads of hair growing out my ears talking about the good old days. Passed my test at 21 and first went to Europe when 26, now 35 so I don’t have previous experience of what it used to be like. All I can say is though with the right company you can make good money and have good experiences. Two weekends ago I was parked up outside Munich, in a hotel for the weekend and went to watch Bayern Munich play, it was St Patrick day in Munich that weekend and I went to a a beer hall later. Can’t comment on the local gyms though :laughing:

Mate you’re living my dream. You so lucky :slight_smile: