As a truck driver, which European language is best to learn

SeaOcean:
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. It’s difficult to answer because I could work anywhere. I’ll definitely learn the basics of these languages but I’m also going to focus on one just because I’m interested

I haven’t read right through the thread yet,.so apologies if this has been said.
New driver?
Reality check…
Your chances of getting a Euro gig are virtually zero mate.
Learn to walk before running.
Master your English, it’ll be all you need for delivering beans and bog roll to Tescos. :bulb:

Carryfast:
Firstly the fact that more than one European language can apply even within towns like Basel let alone Switzerland says everything about the point in learning any particular one of them fluently for the purposes of travelling around the continent.
As for experience.The requirement can vary, between none needed to just walk into European distance work as easy as driving a builders wagon around the local streets or local multi drop around the shops etc,
to experience on UK work will count for absolutely nothing if you can even find any UK based international work vacancies, depending on who you talk to.
( The latter applies in my case ).

Point out your own first hand experience of being an international truck driver for him then. And point out when you last drove a truck for a living?

robroy:
New driver?
Reality check…

It’s true that the heyday of international work when everyone and his dog could pass the test in the morning and be on the way to Italy in the afternoon is long gone, and of what is left the overwhelming majority is Class 1 work so the OP needs to work towards getting that licence but if someone was determined to do it, knock on lots of doors and possibly be prepared to re-locate then I wouldn’t say it would be impossible.

There are some international jobs around still, but not as many as before. There are some companies that will take on younger drivers, and after a few months UK give them a run over the water.

For those prepared to re-locate, having an EU rather than a UK passport would mean a much greater choice of possible employers for anyone.

yourhavingalarf:

Carryfast:
As for experience.The requirement can vary, between none needed to just walk into European distance work as easy as driving a builders wagon around the local streets or local multi drop around the shops etc,

Yet…

You never quite managed to walk into it.

Odd that.

You obviously missed the bit ‘depending on who you talk to’.
If the OP chooses to believe that version that’s his choice.

Franglais:
For those prepared to re-locate, having an EU rather than a UK passport would mean a much greater choice of possible employers for anyone.

You just can’t resist banging that big blue eu drum, can you? The rich irony being that the whole reason for the annihilation of the British international road transport industry was competition from countries with post-Communist economies being admitted en masse into the eu.

Star down under.:

Carryfast:
Firstly there’s as much or more chance of international work driving a van than a truck.
Really can’t believe that any new drivers are still naive enough to think that the chances of doing it are much better than winning the lottery.
As for learning languages if it’s proper international work you won’t have enough time to learn to speak and understand fluently all the different languages you’ll encounter even on a run between UK and Italy and local dialects and slang abbreviations spoken locally often aren’t anything like what’s in the text books.
You’ll get all the basics you need by actually going there and learning by necessity.
You can do that with plenty of private holiday road trips, long before you ever land that international dream job if you ever do.

Ah, the voice of vastly experienced, international transport operative. (Where’s the sarcasm emoji? )

I’m prepared to lay odds that the OP is not averse to a bit of manual labour, unlike yourself, which was the reason for your dazzling failure.

With that idea the OP would obviously be more in demand by every retail multi drop, scaffolding firm, or warehousing operation in the country than anyone wanting a quick turn around of a full truck load to be run across Europe.

Harry Monk:

Franglais:

You just can’t resist banging that big blue eu drum, can you? The rich irony being that the whole reason for the annihilation of the British international road transport industry was competition from countries with post-Communist economies being admitted en masse into the eu.

“You just can’t resist banging that big blue eu drum, can you?”
As opposed to pretending that everything EU is bad?
The EU is far from perfect, but denying any good is dishonest.

“from countries with post-Communist economies being admitted en masse into the eu.”
As opposed to what?
After decades of the West telling the Communists and their satellites to over throw their regimes and join us, to keep them out?
The integration of the ex-commie-blok cost me as it cost all of us.
Rarely in life does everything go forward smoothly.

And to keep nearer the topic, do you disagree that there are more opportunities for EU passport holders in Euro driving than for UK passport holders?

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
Firstly the fact that more than one European language can apply even within towns like Basel let alone Switzerland says everything about the point in learning any particular one of them fluently for the purposes of travelling around the continent.
to experience on UK work will count for absolutely nothing if you can even find any UK based international work vacancies, depending on who you talk to.
( The latter applies in my case ).

Point out your own first hand experience of being an international truck driver for him then. And point out when you last drove a truck for a living?

The OPs question was specifically related to the language issue in terms of travelling around Europe etc which applies the same whether by car or by truck.
In which case it’s possible that the OP could be grappling with the finer points of French, German and Italian and numerous Slavic languages including Cyrillic road signs in the space of a day or two or at least a week.
After landing that dream international job first.

Just to add people will say the only EU work left for UK companies is tour work where they can be gone for months but as a tip try and look out for the trucks with “Angles morts” stickers and UK stickers on the back (Ones with GB if they go over the water still should have replaced them so might mean they have not been over in some time). I do plenty of 1 week trips and up to 3 weeks a couple of times a year.

Franglais:
“from countries with post-Communist economies being admitted en masse into the eu.”
As opposed to what?

Expanding the eu slowly, one or two countries at a time once their economies were robust enough to permit existing members to withstand the social impact of their joining, as had happened ever since the eu was first formed?

Harry Monk:

Franglais:
As opposed to what?

Expanding the eu slowly, one or two countries at a time once their economies were robust enough to permit existing members to withstand the social impact of their joining, as had happened ever since the eu was first formed?

Would have been…nice… wouldn`t it? Especially for us in the rich West.
But would that have worked?
In the real world would having a slower entry for those countries been quick enough for the ones left behind?
Inequality breeds unrest and violence everywhere. (IMHO far more than religion does)

Yes, I do agree that having a big tranche joining at once was a high price to us all. Yes, transport suffered more than some other sectors.
All true, I reckon.

But I`ll ask again, what any alternative choices would have brought us?

■■■■ happens !

Franglais:

Russia not invading Ukraine?

PS
Apologies to SeaOcean the OP on this thread.
You seem to have had some good input and…as often happens here …we are wandering off track a bit.

Harry Monk:

Franglais:

Russia not invading Ukraine?

Well yeah. True enough.

I sure do remember you posting about that risk in 1989, don`t I?

Japanese or Chinese.

Franglais:
PS
Apologies to SeaOcean the OP on this thread.
You seem to have had some good input and…as often happens here …we are wandering off track a bit.

No it’s fine. I’ve actually learnt from this discussion that Euro work is not as common as it used to be before Brexit. This may seem obvious but my logic was twisted. I knew there’d be less EU work, but I thought Brexit would limit EU drivers coming to the UK, and therefore less competition for British drivers. Less opportunities but also less competition.

Anyway it’s a long term plan. I still have to get my class 1 plus few years experience before I can hope to do Euro work. I’m not giving up.

mrginge:
Just to add people will say the only EU work left for UK companies is tour work where they can be gone for months but as a tip try and look out for the trucks with “Angles morts” stickers and UK stickers on the back (Ones with GB if they go over the water still should have replaced them so might mean they have not been over in some time). I do plenty of 1 week trips and up to 3 weeks a couple of times a year.

I don’t mind going for few weeks traveling. In fact I like the idea. I don’t have a family to worry about. I just need a place to shower and eat. A gym would be great too but I can always do body workouts until I get to a gym. Yes I’ll miss my friends but I only see them once or twice a month anyway so it’s not a problem for me.

Harry Monk:

robroy:
New driver?
Reality check…

It’s true that the heyday of international work when everyone and his dog could pass the test in the morning and be on the way to Italy in the afternoon is long gone, and of what is left the overwhelming majority is Class 1 work so the OP needs to work towards getting that licence but if someone was determined to do it, knock on lots of doors and possibly be prepared to re-locate then I wouldn’t say it would be impossible.

Yes I’m definitely going to do my class 1 after 6 months of class 2. Euro work is my long term goal. I’ll be prepared to relocate if necessary. I don’t have a family to worry about

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
Firstly there’s as much or more chance of international work driving a van than a truck.
Really can’t believe that any new drivers are still naive enough to think that the chances of doing it are much better than winning the lottery.

And still he persists with this lie to make himself feel better. I know of 3 young lads starting on their first European jobs within past 6 months, one not long passed. It’s not as easy to find and jump into as in your day when every man his dog was at it but if they want it there’s still plenty out there for lads with a good attitude

Thank you. This is very encouraging. It seems like it’s going to be difficult but not impossible so I will try my best. Dreams aren’t supposed to be easy anyway, they’re supposed to be hard but realistic