Article link - driver shortages leading up to Christmas

dont know how anyone can take an article seriously when it is saying 3k to do a dcpc?

haulage has peaks and troughs always has always will hence the need for agencys! or zero hour contracts your choice. almost all want the benefit of being able to not pay someone if they have a quiet week rather than a full timer on x amount per week!

but hey ho.

war1974:
dont know how anyone can take an article seriously when it is saying 3k to do a dcpc?

It’s already been discussed that this was obviously an error and includes initial licence acquisition costs.

Also, as a result of the new CPC regulations, haulage companies say some older drivers have chosen early retirement rather than invest the £3,000 required to obtain the CPC.

would think ‘older’ drivers had the licence!

war1974:
Also, as a result of the new CPC regulations, haulage companies say some older drivers have chosen early retirement rather than invest the £3,000 required to obtain the CPC.

would think ‘older’ drivers had the licence!

Indeed, but clearly a mix up of words to anyone that isn’t a pedant and just looking to split hairs for the sake of it.

Héraultais:
What does this refer to?

“This massive peak in demand leads to heavy use of agency drivers, and FTA members are really worried that these drivers may not be legally ready to drive when they are needed,”

Refering to 2 yrs experience maybe, but that is nothing to do with the law?

Any ideas?

Still no one with any idea what this is refering to? Can’t imagine an agency would employ a driver who wasn’t “legally ready to drive”.

well i thought that untill i saw two drivers starting early this morning at goole, one didnt have a cpc card, and the other only had a 7.5 tonner licence

holliefabbabe:
well i thought that untill i saw two drivers starting early this morning at goole, one didnt have a cpc card, and the other only had a 7.5 tonner licence

…how do you know, out of interest?

Pimpdaddy:
“Also, as a result of the new CPC regulations, haulage companies say some older drivers have chosen early retirement rather than invest the £3,000 required to obtain the CPC.”

£3k for DCPC is a bit much I think:)

This article backs up what I’ve thought all along, there is no real shortage, the industry is getting help from the media to execute scaremongering tactics. Over supply reduces demand & costs, I bet drivers aren’t seeing much in their pockets from the published rate increases.

As long as I can remember, there was always a driver “shortage”, remember the “article” in the papers, followed by half a page of adverts for truck driving school!
Now, it isn’t the schools that are scaremongering, it is the industry, an ideal opportunity for drivers to push for a decent wage! any other industry with a good union would take this to screw a good deal for its members, but as said drivers aren’t interested in helping their fellow drivers out.
As for rates, it states that shipping lines are having to pay more to get containers full of goods out of the docks.
As for wages, I have been told, there is a container haulage Co. paying £13 per hour to there drivers on a self employed basis, no idea how true that is,(or how legal that is) but I have been offered the same rate on agency on days, the rate they were paying was increased this month, and I’ve heard of other agencies doing the same.
Say what you like about agencies but, they are paying rates that a class 1 driver is worth, unlike the employers!!

weeto:
Say what you like about agencies but, they are paying rates that a class 1 driver is worth, unlike the employers!!

Are those rates sustainable though?

Pimpdaddy:

weeto:

Are those rates sustainable though?

Who knows , but I have been on agency jobs 10 years ago paying roughly the same rate for nights, and were even paying £24 ph on sunday nights, with no hours restriction, ie a 15 hr shift.

weeto:
Who knows , but I have been on agency jobs 10 years ago paying roughly the same rate for nights, and were even paying £24 ph on sunday nights, with no hours restriction, ie a 15 hr shift.

They must be sustainable then, I never have such luck with agency where I am hence me asking. I’m always cheated in hours worked, cheated by the umbrella co, rushed to do the job so less hours & the customer pays less, paid by the minute etc.

weeto:

Pimpdaddy:
“Also, as a result of the new CPC regulations, haulage companies say some older drivers have chosen early retirement rather than invest the £3,000 required to obtain the CPC.”

This article backs up what I’ve thought all along, there is no real shortage, the industry is getting help from the media to execute scaremongering tactics. Over supply reduces demand & costs, I bet drivers aren’t seeing much in their pockets from the published rate increases.

As long as I can remember, there was always a driver “shortage”, remember the “article” in the papers, followed by half a page of adverts for truck driving school!
Now, it isn’t the schools that are scaremongering, it is the industry, an ideal opportunity for drivers to push for a decent wage! any other industry with a good union would take this to screw a good deal for its members, but as said drivers aren’t interested in helping their fellow drivers out.
As for rates, it states that shipping lines are having to pay more to get containers full of goods out of the docks.
As for wages, I have been told, there is a container haulage Co. paying £13 per hour to there drivers on a self employed basis, no idea how true that is,(or how legal that is) but I have been offered the same rate on agency on days, the rate they were paying was increased this month, and I’ve heard of other agencies doing the same.

You can’t be legally self-employed and work for just one company as a truck driver unless possibly you are a contract haulier with your own vehicle and O licence etc.

GasGas:

weeto:

Pimpdaddy:

You can’t be legally self-employed and work for just one company as a truck driver unless possibly you are a contract haulier with your own vehicle and O licence etc.

Probably not S/E then, but there is obviously ways round it, like the ltd route, as there seems to be a few doing it.

I wonder if any of our bosse’s are on here looking at these thread’s if not then mabey we should point them in this direction and then they might wonder why we are so ■■■■■■ off with this industry

GasGas:

weeto:

Pimpdaddy:

This would certainly be the taxman’s view but there a loads of phoney self-employed drivers out there and most firms take the view as long as the money they’re paying is going through an agency it’s not their problem. It goes too far up the tree for anything to be done about it though, I guess.

Héraultais:

Héraultais:
What does this refer to?

“This massive peak in demand leads to heavy use of agency drivers, and FTA members are really worried that these drivers may not be legally ready to drive when they are needed,”

Refering to 2 yrs experience maybe, but that is nothing to do with the law?

Any ideas?

Still no one with any idea what this is refering to? Can’t imagine an agency would employ a driver who wasn’t “legally ready to drive”.

They are referring to drivers with licences but no DCPC so basically will need to sit 35 hours to be legal.

Regarding scaremongering the FTA as a body have been consistently pro not anti DCPC - admittedly driven by their own self-interest rather than their members but that’s typical of how these trade bodies that are effectively businesses operating on a self-preservation basis behave.

samsgrandad:
I wonder if any of our bosse’s are on here looking at these thread’s if not then mabey we should point them in this direction and then they might wonder why we are so ■■■■■■ off with this industry

Place I’m at are really struggling to cover Friday nights now. This is further compounded by the fact the most of the runs need people that already know the job as they are time critical and 5 figure fines are involved for late deliveries. I have been asked to work them instead of my usual Sun-Wed night but I class Friday night as ‘unsociable’ along with Saturdays. However… everybody has their price! :wink: The offer has been put to them that I’d do them for my Sunday rate, and it’s actually being considered. :astonished:

There’s definatly a driver shortage here for general haulage /flat/crane draw bar 2-4 nights out a week ,can’t find anyone ,with out wages even being mentioned ,iam beginning to think its too much like hardwork for some .

Dan Punchard:
There’s definatly a driver shortage here for general haulage /flat/crane draw bar 2-4 nights out a week ,can’t find anyone ,with out wages even being mentioned ,iam beginning to think its too much like hardwork for some .

Do any of your motors have a gearbox a modern driver could operate though? :grimacing:

Dan Punchard:

It is too much like hard work when you can be doing over a grand a week with a curtain sider and 26 pallets and never have to touch the load and sleep in your own bed at home every night. Hell of a lot of hauliers are getting a big wake up call at the moment. :exclamation: :bulb: