Artic to Rigid

Having been on artic fridge work from Ireland to Continent for quiet a while is causing a little strife indoors, due to a new arrival in the family I’ve decided to stay closer to home for a few months and have just bought a 2008, Scania P230, 18 ton, rigid with 30ft curtainside body to do local work.

Having reached out to a few local transport and courier firms everyone I spoke to were seemed keen to have me onboard immediately, however most are offering between €0.90 cent - €1.00 euro (approx £0.78 pence - £0.86 pence) per mile.

It seems that the per mile rate offered is also only paid for miles loaded, which isn’t going to work for me, I really need to get
on directly with a customer instead of working indirectly through a 3rd party.

Has anyone got a mailshot template etc that can be emailed directly to companies offering my transport service and what rates are owner drivers charging in general per mile, on artic I was invoicing for €1.60 per mile + ferry + tolls.

Honestly I reckon you’d do better to turn up in person and ask to book an appointment if they can’t see you there and then. I know alot of people who will definately make time for reps that take the time to show their face and even if they can’t give you anything they’ll be more likely to pass word on

Best of luck with it

mb30:
Having been on artic fridge work from Ireland to Continent for quiet a while is causing a little strife indoors, due to a new arrival in the family I’ve decided to stay closer to home for a few months and have just bought a 2008, Scania P230, 18 ton, rigid with 30ft curtainside body to do local work.

Having reached out to a few local transport and courier firms everyone I spoke to were seemed keen to have me onboard immediately, however most are offering between €0.90 cent - €1.00 euro (approx £0.78 pence - £0.86 pence) per mile.

It seems that the per mile rate offered is also only paid for miles loaded, which isn’t going to work for me, I really need to get
on directly with a customer instead of working indirectly through a 3rd party.

Has anyone got a mailshot template etc that can be emailed directly to companies offering my transport service and what rates are owner drivers charging in general per mile, on artic I was invoicing for €1.60 per mile + ferry + tolls.

Of course they were keen to have you start immediately, because it is the smaller quantity drops which cost them the most to get rid of. They also seem to think you are a mug by offering those rates. They should be offering you more than the 26 pallet rate would be per pallet per mile. You may be better off charging per day with a radius or mileage limit, but you will have to be careful about booking-in times and delays from them preventing the day’s work being completed.