Artic tipping question

Hi guys, when tipping a full load of lime, which is really heavy and sticky stuff, often a big dod stays at the front of the trailer until the rams are fully extended, making it top heavy (one went over next to me last year, thankfully the driver was OK)

Now when the bulk of the lime comes out, the lift axle on the triaxle trailer senses there is a lot less weight and lifts, whilst tipping.

My question is, would it be good practise to pull the big suzie with the clip on prior to tipping to prevent the lift axle from lifting, or can anyone see a problem in doing this?

Be no problem pulling the abs suzzie when tipping to stop the lift axle lifting. It not got a switch though?

It would be better if you could dump the air in all 3 axles when tipping .

Dan Punchard:

i’m sure i read that it wasn’t recommended by a trailer or axle manufacturer, due to potential damage as it puts all the weight on the back axle

Not seen that ,but I can say that tipping scrap bales is a lot better with no air in.

And a big plus one from me on dropping the air out.
Had a bag burst once while tipping into a hopper. All gave a good sideways wobble and frightened the crap out of me. I always dump it., especially if I know it’s sticky.
The other thing I would say is tip it up full before you pull forward as it’s slightly more stable with the whole load still in the trailer.
But as has been said above, plug out abs susie if you just want to stop the axle

I should probably already know this but could someone explain why the abs suzi stops the axle lifting?

The wiring controlling it runs through that suzie. Disconnecting it is taking away the power supply so it defaults to down. That’s why they drop when you turn off the key as well

I thought they only lifted at > 15 kph? If tipping, aren’t you stationary so it wouldn’t lift.

m1cks:
I thought they only lifted at > 15 kph? If tipping, aren’t you stationary so it wouldn’t lift.

Mine lifts as soon as you turn the ignition on. As others have said the best way is to pull the ABS plug.

Dan Punchard:

I think that this is sound advice. Dump the air, then if you need a little extra height, then lift the units air suspension. Only if the ground is level and the load stable should this be done. Oh, and make sure your tailgate is at least 45deg when doing this.