Artic reverse help

hi all athough i have the link to the artic reverse wondered if anyone had any tips for this.

i start off putting full lock on (right hand down) till im at 45degrees at which point there is a mark on front of the trailer and i then chase the trailer (try keep it pretty straight) turning the wheel left hand down and keeping my offside wheel near to right hand kerb till i can see the cone in right hand mirror. problem is that sometimes i get to this point perfectly and then its just a case of reversing back to straighten up ready to pass the cone (put the turn on, etc) and do the actual reverse into the bay, but sometimes the cone ends up smack in middle of the trailers ■■■ end although i feel like im doing same thing each time wondered what i was doing wrong?

cheers for all replies

ian

It sounds to me that the problem is in the method used.

The combination will never come away from the right hand yellow line at the same angle and at the same place every time - well, it could do but you would have to be inch perfect on the set up and do exactly the same thing at the same point every time which is just about impossible :exclamation: :exclamation:

At the point where it comes away from the line and the unit is exactly in line with the trailer (both mirrors are seeing the same amount of trailer) is the time to decide what to do next. Is this the situation that is causing you the problem :question:

darkseeker:
just a quick tip for your reversing mate (it took me ages to realise this):

you get the trailer out of the starting area and passing the cone then swing the unit around the kingpin so as to get the whole lot straight (ish) Now, when I first started, I thought I needed to get the trailer’s wheels over the far side of the area then swing the front of the trailer arround (pivoting on the wheels and pushing with the unit) but that doesn’t work well, not for me anyway.

How I found worked;

You’ll’ve done your rigid test, iirc what I’m about to say is similar;

in a rigid, you head across the area at an angle (or a slight curve) and aim the offside rear wheel to go around the first cone on the garage… hold that thought!

ok, you’ve got the trailer out of the starting bit and you’re getting the unit straight with the trailer, keep half an eye on the steering wheel, and watch what the unit’s doing in relation to the trailer - the two will come straight (you’ll probably be turning the steering wheel at this point) they’re straight, you’re moving back slowly, the steering wheel’s straight NOW before you go back more than a couple of feet. turn the wheel a little bit past straight (to the left) only quater of a turn or so) and take the whole lot towards the garage in a long curve, adjusting as you go so the offside wheel of the trailer misses that first cone by a few inches and goes round it in a curve, you’ll need to turn left a bit more now to start shoving the front of the trailer over to the other side of the area but GENTLY - if you get the unit at much of an angle to the trailer at this point you’ll find it difficult to correct and you’ll probably over-cook it.

Hope that makes sense, what I’m trying to say is you can’t get the trailer over the other side of the area then push the front of it round with the unit, you’re trying to do too much in the space allowed, you need that bit of a curveas you go across, it does most of the job as you go. Saying that, I’m no expert - just don’t forget once you’re out of the starting area, you don’t need to move the steering wheel very far at a time. turn the steering wheel a little bit and give the trailer time to react, it doesn’t straight away

my 2p, best of luck mate.

these are the tips i got when i was doing my training (see the link for the whole shebang!)

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … sc&start=0

and it all worked a treat. i passed first time!

good luck with it all mate, im sure it will fall into place come test day

cheers for all replies

further to your method being wrong comment rog could you suggest what im doing wrong or how it should be done, for some reason half the tim i do the reverse the cone ends up in middle of trailer so somewhere from the start i need to be getting the trailer further over to theleft of the cone.

advice please!

Start off as you do with full right hand down, move about 1/2 metre then change lock for lock and get the rear wheels of your unit about 1/2 metre from the yellow line. Then push the unit back parallel to the line (ignore the trailer). Watch for the offside cone and pole of the ‘garage’ and when it just starts to dis-appear behind the nearside of the trailer, left hand down and get the front wheel to run alongside the yellow line closely following it, increasing your left hand down as the rear wheels of the unit move further away from the line. Watch for the unit and trailer becoming straight and then push the whole lot back until front of unit is clear of the B cone and pole.

It works for my trainees.

If after the initial right hand down/left hand down, you are more than 1/2 metre from the yellow line, put more right hand down to get yourself that 1/2 metre. If you are too close, work some left hand down to get you away from the line, until you are the 1/2 metre. Then look for the pole going behind the trailer.

All these different methods can depend on the length of the trailer.

Smart Mart was saying about watching the cone disapearing and in my link for the artic reverse it says to wait until the n/s mirror is full up with the trailer before putting the o/s front unit wheel to the yellow line.

We are both correct for the set ups we are talking about :exclamation:

Your instructor should be able to tell you the best way to do your set up and if one way does not work then your instructor should have alternative methods available. The instructor should also have different ways of explaining it to you as one size does not fit all.

bigcheese - can you describe your set up - is the unit a sleeper cab - what length is the trailer - is it very close coupled to the unit or do you have plenty of room to get to the airlines :question: :question: :question:

thanks for all replies, its a 40ft trailer not right close to unit and its a volvo with the 4 over 4 flick switch gear box. once i get it past the cone im home free so i know i definately could pull it off using a shunt, its just starting off and getting that cone in the offside mirror

ian

bigcheese:
its a 40ft trailer not right close to unit

It seems like you are not letting the trailer get enough angle across the area before bringing the unit into line.

If you look at the description Smart Mart gave and mine via the link in my signature, you will see that we both have the rear & front wheels of the unit about 18 inches or half a metre from the yellow line.

Once the unit is in this position then do not immediately take the unit front O/S wheel to the line but reverse the unit back a bit more, keeping the rear & front wheels the same 18 inches or half a metre from the yellow line - this will put more kink into the set up and give you more angle to get past the ‘B’ cone.

To know WHEN to put the unit front O/S wheel to the line will depend on the set up - you might use a mark on the trailer or, as I could do with mine, wait until the N/S large mirror was full up of trailer.

Does this help :question:

not really pal, test day tomorrow too, i just cant seem to get it right tink ive mastered the getting past cone b tho its from then on im stuck. from there i just kinda guess where the trailer is going then chase it, i pretty much get it in eveytime with a shunt although i wish i could do better for more confidence for the test

ian

bigcheese:
not really pal, test day tomorrow too, i just cant seem to get it right tink ive mastered the getting past cone b tho its from then on im stuck. from there i just kinda guess where the trailer is going then chase it, i pretty much get it in eveytime with a shunt although i wish i could do better for more confidence for the test

ian

If you can get it in every time with the permitted 1 or 2 shunts (only 1 minor if you take 1 or 2) then you have nothing to worry about because that is a pass :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’m sorry, I read your post as a problem with getting past the ‘B’ cone. :blush: :blush:
I did not realise you meant getting the set up from the ‘B’ cone across the area to set up for the garage.

I did mention earlier that this part of the reverse will NEVER be the same as the angles will differ slightly as you straighten up when coming away from the yellow line.

The adjustments needed to get the thing from the ‘B’ cone towards the garage are the experience and knowledge bit (knowing what it will do if you do this or that) - this is where the examiner can see if you know what you are doing - there is not a set rigid procedure for this bit unlike the setting up and start bit.

your right rog to start with i couldnt get past cone b but i managed it pretty well all today, think i just need more practice from then on , like you said i always have my shunts i know i can do it with a shunt, just need to practice more and take it slow. my ■■■ is falling out now too im so nervous about tomorrow feel like im getting it all too slow, wonder how many people feel like this and go on to pass
cheers rog

ian

bigcheese:
… im so nervous about tomorrow feel like im getting it all too slow, wonder how many people feel like this and go on to pass
cheers rog

ian

MOST FEEL LIKE YOU DO, IMO :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Slow - no prob - there is no set time limit - only to be done in a ‘reasonable time’

If you know you can get it with the shunt then don’t be ashamed that you have taken the time to get it in the garage correctly, at least you are showing the examiner that you have the knowledge to get it in the garage.

I took a shunt when I did my test, was chuffed to bits that I had done it with a degree of confidence.

Best of luck with the test!
Stu

very true i dont think instructors help the nerves tho, i mean doing my rigid the instructor was all over me every little thing i did wrong (im not knocking that its there job and appriciated) but it makes you feel a failure before you start the test (even tho there all minor mistakes anyway)then i went on to pass with flying colours

bigcheese:
very true i dont think instructors help the nerves tho, i mean doing my rigid the instructor was all over me every little thing i did wrong (im not knocking that its there job and appriciated) but it makes you feel a failure before you start the test (even tho there all minor mistakes anyway)then i went on to pass with flying colours

Hmm… the instructor was all over you and you passed with flying colours :exclamation: :exclamation:

Me thinks the instructor did the job perfectly :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

dont get me wrong i cant praise him enough he was excellent, my point was though that although thats best way to be it makes the trainee very nervous.

bigcheese:
dont get me wrong i cant praise him enough he was excellent, my point was though that although thats best way to be it makes the trainee very nervous.

I see your point - instructors do try not to make trainees more nervous than they already are but every trainee is different and instructors are only human - don’t get it right every time :slight_smile:

I know it may sound a bit odd, try thinking of your training as going to the dentist, you’re always nervous about the unknown but they’re there to help, bits of pain but always come home feeling better.

Stu