Arrogant Driver

I had a delivery driver come to my work this morning dont know wot company he was from but asked if I could get a forklift to lift his load off. Now I must digress abit here place of work is split into different departments I’m in catering and the people who drive the forklift are another department. The forklift is a big building site type that probably costs alot to just shunt around unloading trucks. Now they have a policy where by if a truck has a taillift and the pallet (s) can be moved by a pallet truck then thats how it needs to be unloaded. Right back to the Point I warned the driver of this to which he started to kick off so I asked for a forklift driver to come to the yard and he said the same thing must be taken off with pump truck. so after a long disput with him he finally gets his pump truck and unloads. Why couldnt he have just done that in the first place save his time and mine.

Sorry its abit long winded but had to get the full point across. :smiley:

I never used to mind loading my own truck but since I started work with Sainsbury’s, I won’t touch equipment belonging to another supplier like a pump truck…Sainsbury’s policy is “how do you know that pump truck is safe and well maintained?”…with that, if I have an accident and have to have time off work, of which I don’t get sick pay, I have to stick to that rule. Lets face it…if I loaded my truck using someone elses pump truck they’d say to insurers “he shouldn’t have been using it”.

Some people may say I’m a jobsworth…but I’ll just say I’m covering my arse! Also…Sainsbury’s pay these companies to load the trucks, its not like they’re doing it off their own back.

When I’ve said that I wont load a truck, some loadies have tried the “ok, well no-ones here to do it so you might be waiting some time before you can go.”…when I explain I’m paid by the hour and that actually benefits me, their faces change :slight_smile:

i saw was

Adam_Mc:
I never used to mind loading my own truck but since I started work with Sainsbury’s, I won’t touch equipment belonging to another supplier like a pump truck…Sainsbury’s policy is “how do you know that pump truck is safe and well maintained?”…with that, if I have an accident and have to have time off work, of which I don’t get sick pay, I have to stick to that rule. Lets face it…if I loaded my truck using someone elses pump truck they’d say to insurers “he shouldn’t have been using it”.

Some people may say I’m a jobsworth…but I’ll just say I’m covering my arse! Also…Sainsbury’s pay these companies to load the trucks, its not like they’re doing it off their own back.

When I’ve said that I wont load a truck, some loadies have tried the “ok, well no-ones here to do it so you might be waiting some time before you can go.”…when I explain I’m paid by the hour and that actually benefits me, their faces change :slight_smile:

I take it you have never had the pleasure of delivering to aldi .rdc ,s i only went to one at darlington with full load of orange jiuce from germany.Not only do you have to unload youirself with ,electric pallet truck but. turn all plts and line them up in a marked bay with bar codes all facing out so checker can just go along row with scanner.Say you are not doing it ,not insured,they have heard them all,you don t do it load refused no excuses.And when you finish put truck back on charge.Only safety sign saw[if you can call it that]was one at the side of truck charger saying if you do not know how to operate this equipment a mem ber of staff will instruct you,i kid you not.
regards dave.

dafdave:
i saw was

Adam_Mc:

I take it you have never had the pleasure of delivering to aldi .rdc ,s i only went to one at darlington with full load of orange jiuce from germany.Not only do you have to unload youirself with ,electric pallet truck but. turn all plts and line them up in a marked bay with bar codes all facing out so checker can just go along row with scanner.Say you are not doing it ,not insured,they have heard them all,you don t do it load refused no excuses.And when you finish put truck back on charge.Only safety sign saw[if you can call it that]was one at the side of truck charger saying if you do not know how to operate this equipment a mem ber of staff will instruct you,i kid you not.
regards dave.

You saw was??

I’ve delivered to an ALDI rdc but can’t for the life of me remember where…but it was baskets of bread and it didn’t take long and the warehouse guys helped me anyway so it was alright. Last year I delivered into the Waitrose in Bracknell…the bloke there wanted me to sort it out in a particular order for him, of which I refused, I just slung it where he told me and then left. He decided to go on break. If he would have stayed and helped it would have been a different story.

dafdave:
regards dave.

And if you mention you are not trained to use an electric truck, no problem, they give you a manual pump one :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

dafdave:
regards dave.

And if you mention you are not trained to use an electric truck, no problem, they give you a manual pump one :laughing:

What if you’re not trained to use that either? :wink:

markthemod:
I had a delivery driver come to my work this morning dont know wot company he was from but asked if I could get a forklift to lift his load off. Now I must digress abit here place of work is split into different departments I’m in catering and the people who drive the forklift are another department. The forklift is a big building site type that probably costs alot to just shunt around unloading trucks. Now they have a policy where by if a truck has a taillift and the pallet (s) can be moved by a pallet truck then thats how it needs to be unloaded. Right back to the Point I warned the driver of this to which he started to kick off so I asked for a forklift driver to come to the yard and he said the same thing must be taken off with pump truck. so after a long disput with him he finally gets his pump truck and unloads. Why couldnt he have just done that in the first place save his time and mine.

Sorry its abit long winded but had to get the full point across. :smiley:[/quot
if youre company doesnt like using the BIG BUILDING SITE forklift because of how much fuel it uses,why dont they go and buy a sensible sized forklift that can be used for doing the job its meant to do which is unload the trucks.
i dont know if he was so much arrogant,as ■■■■■■ off, going to a place to get tipped, then being told you couldnt tip him because of how much fuel the forktruck uses, would probally set me off,

I can’t see the drivers problem. truck with a lift and a pallet truck get on with it. If the ground is uneven or theres a long distance to pull it, it’s delivered once it’s on the deck.

dafdave:
regards dave.

I’ve done the Aldis with full loads of bannanas, great fun wizzing around on the stand on trucks and getting paid for it…BUT probably on a sticky wicket if you flatten anyone or hurt yourself.

They even made us take of the pallet wrap , or wouldn’t sign the notes!

This is not a complaint, I was getting paid by teh hour and get fed up of sitting on my ■■■■ in the wagon all day.
Try working in Canada/USA, you CAN’T usually unload yourself, you can’t rush the lumpers, and you only get paid by the mile, so sitting unpaid for many many hours is a real reason to moan.

im sure the forklift is paid for regardless, why make the guy struggle when it can be done by a machine .A tail lift and a pump truck are for places that dont have a fork lift. Im sure if he fell of the tail lift youd soon moan when the hse got involved !

I can see where your coming from he shouldn’t have had a moan at you as u said your nothing to do with accepting deliveries. But the point is that there was a forklift there in good working order. You should see the attidudes we have to deal with when we turn up to a place, I don’t know what it is but people just don’t want to tip lorrys, u can even see people scarper and hide when we turn up.

There is a lot of lazy people in the manual labouring world (drivers included). But why make life difficult when there is a forklift to hand? What’s more is if the pallet is 500kg+ u won’t be able to move it far off the taillift anyway so the forklift will then have to come and move it where they want it. Been there and done that with palletways.

The bloke was probably an arse but he may have had a point.

I get a bit of site clearance work shifing pallets of bricks, blocks and other misc. materials. Fine if there is no forks on site I’ll get the crane out and load / unload but if there are forks on site I’ll get them to load and unload to save time and agg.

Never had a problem unloading a truck with a pallet truck, We used to do a lot of it working for Frans Maas, easier to stick a pallet truck on than side strip a tilt.
Normally meant you were done quick and could get down the road to a decent place for something to eat instead of waiting for hours waiting for somebody to get thier act together to unload the truck.

Don’t see the hassle in tipping with pump truck and taillift, some places it’s a lot quicker, especially ,if the forkies are busy tipping someone else. The only time I’ve insisted in being tipped by forkie is when my taillift was playing up, or when pallets have been too unstable.

chester1:
im sure the forklift is paid for regardless, why make the guy struggle when it can be done by a machine .A tail lift and a pump truck are for places that dont have a fork lift. Im sure if he fell of the tail lift youd soon moan when the hse got involved !

^^^^
It’s why we make machines isn’t it? To reduce the manual labour in work? Or should i leave the truck at home and carry it all on my back?

44 Tonne Ton:

chester1:

^^^^
It’s why we make machines isn’t it? To reduce the manual labour in work? Or should i leave the truck at home and carry it all on my back?

Reminds me of a comment a colleague made. He was given on old truck with no air suspension to do a route that had about four steep hill drops on it. Upon complaining that he hadn’t been given a new one with air suspension and the old one loaded for somewhere flat he was told that we managed fine without air suspension on the old motors so stop moaning. His response was that we managed fine without the internal combustion engine so did that mean they wanted him to go out with a horse and cart.

HSE would say use the fork lift, you must always use machinery if avaliable to prevent and limit manual handing injuries, or something along them lines, we dont have a problem at our place, wagon turns up, closest guy to the loading bay stops what hes doing, gets FLT keys n unloads straight away, drivers like it when they deliver to us, whether its 1 pallet or a full trailer they get unloaded the second they turn up (some dont even have time to stick the kettle on before getting told, once your brewed up your ready to go)

how if Taillift not works :question:

markthemod:

So what do you use that ■■■■■■ forklift for then?

Sorry its abit long winded but had to get the full point across. :smiley:

So what do you use that ■■■■■■ forklift for then?

It seems to be same old story: ‘Im not insured’ or the Health and Safety argument.

Personally I prefer to tip myself, its far quicker than waiting for some ■■■■■ to come and unload you. I am used to it in Ireland you turn up to places and just load and unload yourself. Jump on the forklift or ride on electric pallet truck. They’re great fun! Just take your time and be careful not to hit anyone. Far too many drivers prepared to sit in the cab all day and say ‘I won’t touch it’. Get stuck in and get the job done!

I understand if you work for someone like Sainsbury’s or Tesco, I did a bit for Tesco and very strict rules, don’t touch this, don’t touch that or you get sacked on the spot.

Very surprised that you tip yourself at Aldi! When I deliver to Tesco, Lidl or Dunnes Stores in Ireland its usually on the bay and wait for the green light…