Argos drivers?

Hi everyone…I’ve worked for Argos since 2000 on the wagon and drags…great when you get used to changing the boxes. Pretty easy after you have done it a few times. It’s knowing what to do if you do jump the box off the rails in the dark when it’s raining. Plenty of short cuts to changing the both boxes when no one is around but still safe.

Happy Holidays!

Dougal1964:
I’ve tried the search button, before anyone jumps down my throat :unamused:
I’m trying to find out about ARGOS.
Do they use their own drivers?
What’s the money like?
Hours etc?

All info appreciated :wink:

Cheers.

Worked for Argos at Magna Park for 20 years before retiring,some things have changed from what I hear but Heywood was Wincanton run,vehicles and trailers where /are Argos owned,doing shops and trunking. The only thing with Wincanton was you didn`t have a regular unit consequently the insides became mobile dustbins,they needed valeting before they could be used when they where reallocated to another depot.

lolipop:

Dougal1964:
What’s the money like?
Hours etc?

Cheers.

Worked for Argos at Magna Park for 20 years before retiring,some things have changed from what I hear

I reckon the o/p may have retired also, he asked the question 9 years ago. :smiley:

What’s the money like?
Hours etc?

Cheers.

dont know what area your in but there is a rdc in lutterworth,ive heard they use a local agency in lutterworth but not sure on the name.

Certainly up here in Scotland, the Argos contract is run by TDG Logistics.

They have a big depot in Eurocentral, Bellshill, in Lanarkshire.

The have loads of Poles and other eastern europeans working in there now. Due to this a lot of their original “scottish” drivers left due to their “Terms and Conditions” changing and subsequently being handed new contracts that were more suitable to Poles etc than themselves!
Quite a number of scottish drivers that work in there now are agency drivers on better money and working under the agencies “Terms and Conditions” which suits them better!

TDG Argos is a classic example of where this totally messed up industry is heading!

I hope that helps you a little bit.

ANDY “Completely disillusioned with this industry and wants out” 1961.

they have a depot at corby run by wincanton.

Don’t even think about home deliveries for ARGOS, unless you want to be ■■■■■■■ gear up to flats all day on council estates. I have done home deliveries in the past for Laura Ashley, Heal’s and B&Q and it all ■■■■■.

works at an Argos store, and deals with the drivers

Our deliveries come from Castleford (soon to change, however) - most of our drivers are permanent staff, we have half-a-dozen regulars who we know and get on with. Busy times - Xmas, catalogue launches… any time we have additional deliveries, agency drivers are brought in to make up the numbers. Hope this helps.

PeteG:

Our deliveries come from Castleford (soon to change, however) - most of our drivers are permanent staff, we have half-a-dozen regulars who we know and get on with. Busy times - Xmas, catalogue launches… any time we have additional deliveries, agency drivers are brought in to make up the numbers. Hope this helps.

also a depot in basildon i believe, They use a lot of double deckers too.

dhl run acton gate stafford. the only real way to find out is to ring your nearest depot and ask for transport mate

I drive for Argos…i drive a wagon and drag on demount work delivering the boxes for the home deliveries…i work “nightshift” which entails me starting at 16.30 and i only do a 7hr to 9 and a half hour shift…the job is salaried…so it is job and knock…i am paid for 48hrs,but rarely do more than 40…and if you do any overtime (not compulsory)it is paid at time and a half on top of your 48hr wage regardless,even when you haven’t done your 48hrs,so in effect you are doing 48hrs WITH your overtime shift in as well and i cleared 31k last year… :wink:

topboy trucker:
I drive for Argos…i drive a wagon and drag on demount work delivering the boxes for the home deliveries…i work “nightshift” which entails me starting at 16.30 and i only do a 7hr to 9 and a half hour shift…the job is salaried…so it is job and knock…i am paid for 48hrs,but rarely do more than 40…and if you do any overtime (not compulsory)it is paid at time and a half on top of your 48hr wage regardless,even when you haven’t done your 48hrs,so in effect you are doing 48hrs WITH your overtime shift in as well and i cleared 31k last year… :wink:

The nearest RDC to me is at Heywood nr Manchester, you say you cleared 31k does that involve working weekends?
Sounds great for the hours you do.
Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

dave:
they have a depot at corby run by wincanton.

You’de never guess it was wincanton’s would you :arrow_right:
■■■■ poor waiting room
■■■■ poor waiting times (hrs)
the legendary them and us wincanton attitude
totally dissorganised and disfunctional transport office

i remember it well :exclamation:

work is pretty crap to, they may quote you depot trunks but you’ll get 3/4 store deliveries up high streets, getting blocked in by car drivers, lovey stuff :exclamation:

Dougal1964:

topboy trucker:

The nearest RDC to me is at Heywood nr Manchester, you say you cleared 31k does that involve working weekends?
Sounds great for the hours you do.
Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

My working week is Mon-Fri nights starting at the times stated above… :wink:
Some drivers working week is Sun-Thurs nights…
There is also some drivers on 4 day weeks,same money but their shifts are a bit longer…typically 10hr days but they work on a rota system which DOES involve Saturdays for dayshift…no nightshift on a saturday.
I work every other Sunday as overtime to reach the above wage…our salary is 28k WITHOUT overtime…but it depends on which company are running the contract as to what you are paid.

p&o pull the trailers in Ireland but, i can tell you the truck and drag drivers in argos own trucks are absoloute gentlemen on the roads. They must be happy enough.

robz:

PeteG:

also a depot in basildon i believe, They use a lot of double deckers too.

Aye, we’re one of the larger stores, we get megadeckers (lifting deck trailers, brand new last Xmas) most nights. They’re a bit temperamental…