Are your roads salted

I have just ventured out of the house and looked east and west, then tried to get in the car but the doors are frozen shut, so took photos and went back in the house and sent the wife out :sunglasses: for the vittles,her car will go anywhere in these conditions with narrow tyres and no power, where as mine is totally useless on snow, wide tyres and more power,if i drove it off here where i live it would not get back here as its all uphill,and as we have had these conditions for a fortnight now and no salt or grit,there are salt bins but these have been empty from the start,have tried to ring council ect, but only answer phones or wrong department, :confused:
So are your roads getting treated or are they like ours still white after a fortnight. :confused:
I looked west

Then east

And left mine on the drive and sent the wife :wink:

No and I’ll let you into a little secret.

In my region and elsewhere so I’m reliably informed the gritters have been running around the housing estates empty but with the amber lights flashing making it look as if they are gritting when in fact they are empty.

I’ve driven thirty five miles in Norfolk and the roads are extremely slippery. The bus station at Thetford was that bad that a coach couldn’t get out of the normal exit. So much for using public transport.

McPlod:

In my region and elsewhere so I’m reliably informed the gritters have been running around the housing estates empty but with the amber lights flashing making it look as if they are gritting when in fact they are empty.

Dont believe that for a minute, they struggle to run on their budgets at the best of times and therefore only grit where nessacery i.e main roads. Residential roads are not a priority simple as, traffic flow is minimal and therefore as gritting requires heavy traffic flow to spread the the salt and break it down, roads that are little used would be pointless gritting.

Driving round housing estates empty making people think they are spreading is laughable.

Funny you have said that Mcplod

In my region and elsewhere so I’m reliably informed the gritters have been running around the housing estates empty but with the amber lights flashing making it look as if they are gritting when in fact they are empty

The wife has just landed back and said, she has just followed a gritter through the town with lights flashing, and no salt coming out the back :open_mouth:
Our local radio says that the councils salt stocks are good,
Only because they are not useing it i say.

My home town of Motherwell has’nt seen much grit either.
I stay quite close to an ambulance station which normally means the area is well gritted,but not this year. :imp: :imp:
I have heard from a friend of a friend that North Lanarkshire supplies of grit are very low.
I supose it all comes down to money or the lack of it.

Are your roads salted

NO !

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Funny you have said that Mcplod

In my region and elsewhere so I’m reliably informed the gritters have been running around the housing estates empty but with the amber lights flashing making it look as if they are gritting when in fact they are empty

The wife has just landed back and said, she has just followed a gritter through the town with lights flashing, and no salt coming out the back .

Good chance it has run out, the spreader is run off the wheels so will continue to spin when empty

The road I live in is white with frost and with the temperature already below freezing point it’s getting worse by the minute, it’s a close and up hill whichever way you enter, some cars are already struggling to climb the hill because of ice on the road and it can only get worse :unamused:

As for the road being gritted, nope not this year or most other years for that matter unless the gritter driver takes a wrong turn :frowning:

Problem is that in years gone locals wopuld do it themselves and no one had a problem now with H&S you cant do it yourself if you’ve not had training, got insurance, etc etc loads of ■■■■■■■■. Thats the reason why people get stuck now, 20 years ago when we had worse snow than this i never heard of impassable roads after 2 inches of snow. 4 ft maybe.

Got told yesterday by the TM of the company who imports and distributes the salt for Grampian Region that they have 100 tonnes left from the 54000 that were imported during the summer :open_mouth: , looks like we wont be getting our roads done anytime soon :imp:

the rothie huntly road wasnt very good an hour ago but no amount of salt wll help that itll need adecent driver and a good snaploo :wink:

crikeyi must be honurd as mine been gritted and pavement cleared and gritted before 8am everyday this week

my road just as bad hear in kendal as well klunk :frowning: and no sign of any salt or griters.

rossco

i spent 2 hours today,gritting our street(cul de sac on a hill),so i could get my rear wheel drive van out,so i can get to work tomorrow.up our way,the main roads have been done,but all housing estate roads are like the ones in your photographs or worse.

No snow in my town in west ■■■■■■■ but plenty of ice. Roads are slippery as hell, taking me an extra 20 minutes to get to work along county roads. Once at work our lads, as a rule, have done a good job on the motorway and I can do my job properly. :wink:

McPlod:

How about on the motorway, matrix saying “gritting in progress”, yet mile after mile no sign of any gritting in either direction, is it all just kidology ■■?

no my road isnt salted or ploughed and its worse than your street and i live on a bus route, but life goes on as normal up here in scotland

D’ya not?:
How about on the motorway, matrix saying “gritting in progress”, yet mile after mile no sign of any gritting in either direction, is it all just kidology ■■?

I used to wonder about that, but since I work in the same depot as the gritters, they have to come in to refill, so you’ve probably driven along a stretch of motorway when the drivers are having a break and refilling with salt :wink:

klunk/■■■■■■■■
So are your roads getting treated or are they like ours still white after a fortnight. :confused:
I looked west
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/klunk-■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Judging from above picture it’s grit (i.e. sand), not the salt your road needs. Spreading salt over that road is a waste of salt. Amount of salt which would be needed to melt that snow down up to a dry road would be ridiculous with the amount of traffic that road seems to have. It also looks like temperature is “much” below zero and that temperature could be too low for salt to work (about -4 C or -5 C).