Are you want to become a transport planner?

If company where you work give training to you and same money what you get for driving,you agree to become to planner or not???if not why??if you agree what you try change in this job??

No way. I like to be out on the road with the wind in my hair. I could never go back to being stuck in one place all day. I think it has a lot to do with the perception of time. Time seems to go much quicker when you’re out and about; twelve hours on the road feels about the same as six hours trapped in an office.

Used to do planing and driving back when I worked for Calor gas , we only had 6 trucks so didn’t really take much time up …also worked in the office for ups during the Olympics for 3 months scheduling and planing, we had around 50 trucks and 20 vans completely separate/new operation to the ups depots.
I did enjoy it and the only thing that made it hard was the lack of ability of some of the drivers 80 agency drivers soon of witch didn’t have a clue …

I think it depends what your jobs like now , me personally I would rather do what I’m doing now …if I was to take on more stress and hassle by working in the office and dealing with moody drivers and having to listen to every story as the drivers hand the keys back I need more money not the same …

God yeah, can’t wait to give up driving round Europe in a comfy leather seat listening to music to go in office and have moaning customers in one ear and moaning drivers in the other. But being serious no, never want to be a planner. However I wouldn’t mind becoming a driver trainer/manager one day maybe, but we’ll see. I still love driving far too much

I did it for about a year at BRS Melton Mowbray in the early 90s. Long hours, very stressful, difficult customers and 4am phonecalls from drivers who’d picked up the wrong trailer. So, the same as driving but without the nice bits!

not a chance at our place its like wall st some days none stop phones going dealing with shipping lines / drivers /sorting out pin number / vbs
the planners at our place get a decent deal with a company car etc but i dont think they earn as much as i can on a good week like switch says i enjoy driving too much to be stuck inside the same 4 walls and im not that bad at it either stick to what you know / do best is what i say

I do it for the same money in a heart beat!!!

George@ASDA driver:

Just out of interest why? Don’t say because it’s easier with less stress, because it isn’t!

I’d like to have a go doing it for say a week if work was quiet but only to get an idea of what its like, i bet its not as easy as some people think, but i couldnt do it where i work because they dont have “planners” where i work, their more than that, everyone in the office plays apart in running the business.

I’d give up driving like a shot to work in a traffic office …slightly more regular hours knowing when I’m working and being home every night with the mrs and kids rather than sleeping in a tin box .

switchlogic:

George@ASDA driver:

Just out of interest why? Don’t say because it’s easier with less stress, because it isn’t!

perhaps I should have said planner at my place…

40 hour week. No stress (honestly, I’ve done it on occasions), finished by 2pm every day. Go off for a coffee whenever you want. Go for a ■■■■ whenever you want…all for the same money■■? yes please!!!

The only reason I didn’t go for the job a while back is the money drop! It’s one of the cushiest jobs in our depot!!!

George@ASDA driver:

switchlogic:

George@ASDA driver:

perhaps I should have said planner at my place…

40 hour week. No stress (honestly, I’ve done it on occasions), finished by 2pm every day. Go off for a coffee whenever you want. Go for a ■■■■ whenever you want…all for the same money■■? yes please!!!

The only reason I didn’t go for the job a while back is the money drop! It’s one of the cushiest jobs in our depot!!!

Ah ok fair enough then. Planning on general haulage certainly isn’t like that and I wouldn’t want the stress

dogthehunter:
I’d give up driving like a shot to work in a traffic office …slightly more regular hours knowing when I’m working and being home every night with the mrs and kids rather than sleeping in a tin box .

You forgot to mention for at LEAST a 1/3 less on your P60 earnings, on the up side at least you will get more in tax credits. I have done both, I enjoyed working in the Transport Department at my place, no day is ever the same, with a big fleet there is ALWAYS something to sort out, recovery, missing deliveries, drivers on sick, accidents both personal and vehicle so it can be a varied job. Then there is the head aches you go home with every day due to the stress or intensity of the job, working through your unpaid break to get the job done, then there is the finish times of say 6am but not actually finishing until 06:15 because of a hand over to the next shift so every week your doing 3.75hrs for nothing working through breaks and staying to hand over, it’s not all roses.

Anyway driving makes the time go sooooo quickly as said before 12hrs in a truck is like 4 in a busy office.

dogthehunter:

Is it that bad there now Adam? Think I would stay out on the road where you are mate!! :wink:

No desire to turn to the dark side of the force.

Did planning for over 8 years with two different companies working through lunch not finishing on time, problems drivers not turning up late deliveries, breakdowns and customers. Much happier being back on the road.

I have a go working in a transport office, an easy life it isn’t, but it does have certain attractions for me.
I’m the sort of person who easily gets bored by the same routine everyday, one of the reasons I had quite a checkered work history, so I quite enjoyed the challenge and the pressure. I also like problem solving and thinking on my feet. The thing that really puts me off is I really enjoy being on the move and dealing with some of the drivers.
I’m lucky as the job I have now does let me do both. :smiley: but it can be bloody frustrating at times. :laughing:

dessy:

dogthehunter:

Is it that bad there now Adam? Think I would stay out on the road where you are mate!! :wink:

Wouldn’t want to do it where I am but if I was offered a chance elsewhere for office work I’d jump at it …

Things at this place aren’t bad at all dessy just not what I want to do anymore reached the end of the road as far as driving concerned really …makes me sick the thought of going to work every day :frowning:

No way, do it now and again, a day in the office feels like a week, it’s like going from a life of colour to black and white :frowning: