Are you doin cpc

Hearing about 100,000 old time drivers aren’t going to do their cpc in september this could be an interesting year.

Yes ! been driving class one for 34 years or so now, don’t see why we have to take the cpc but if we have to then we have to.

Update - Those who said “We’re not doing it” have now knuckled under, and have got on with it. Myself included.

There isn’t going to be a driver shortage come September, much to the upset of those very few who won’t have done their DCPC by this point, and consequently find themselves out of a job. :frowning:

Those that won’t have done it by September will be aged 67 and over, and will use that as an excuse for overdue retirement. These would be the same bods that have put it off since age 65, hoping the retirement income situation improves, which of course it has not - because interest rates are still where they are.

Having fallen flat for a possible cause of “driver shortage” therefore, the next best hope we might have is that foreign lands start repatriating their workers, because their own economies are now improving… :bulb:

Completed my cpc the other week and got my DQC , so hopefully when I move into haulage soon , it will help to secure a job in this type of industry , present employer put all of us through it because we have some 7.5t , but we run mostly 3.5t

i left it as long as i dared, in the end i,ve gave in and made a block 5 day booking for June, i thought they would be getting a bit tight for course availability but the ■■■■■■■ the phone said they had loads of spaces left

Winseer:
Update -

Those that won’t have done it by September will be aged 67 and over, and will use that as an excuse for overdue retirement. These would be the same bods that have put it off since age 65, hoping the retirement income situation improves, which of course it has not - because interest rates are still where they are.

:

As a matter of interest where do you get that age figure from? I only ask as I’m doing mine in July, but if I didn’t I still wouldn’t be anywhere near 67 come September.

chaversdad:
i left it as long as i dared, in the end i,ve gave in and made a block 5 day booking for June, i thought they would be getting a bit tight for course availability but the ■■■■■■■ the phone said they had loads of spaces left

A whole week of sucking eggs Chavers, yous ll love that!

You could pay a double to sit it for you. :slight_smile:

Silver_Surfer:
You could pay a double to sit it for you. :slight_smile:

You mean there’s another one the same as him :open_mouth:

Nope, done 2 or 3 modules a couple of years ago but not doing the rest. I might renew the licence next year when it’s due but DCPC is a no.

col1957:
‘…don’t see why we have to take the cpc…’

Put simply, it’s because the European Onion is bullying the UK via the Lib-Lab-Con-Green & Plaid doo-dah parties to comply with its undemocratic mandate of controlling us

col1957:
‘…but if we have to then we have to…’

And roll-over to the abusers? Where’s your nuts, man :question: :wink:

Why not join millions of others to consider it “full subordination to foreign, undemocratic, unnecessarily expensive and abusive demands to comply with ill-focussed training needs within our abused industry to ‘achieve’ (ha!) the worthless DCPC accreditation” :exclamation:

I am finishing in the summer, the sale of my truck is agreed and that’s that!
Like a lot of older drivers I have seen changes from log books to tacho to digital, licenses from 1 to god knows how many now just to do a job and now you have to take another course because the EU says so … how many older drivers have done the DCPC and fell asleep during it because they have forgotten more about transport than many “trainers” will ever know, well I for one have had it now, I have loved my time in haulage but there comes a time when you have just been screwed enough, I know a lot of drivers have to do it because they are not in the position I am.
There will not or ever be a driver shortage in this country unless some clever government steps in and offers anyone 50 years old or over a million quid to quit work and start their own business, a lot of drivers would think about becoming an owner driver and maybe employing people. In fact if they did that then many many REAL jobs would be available and all these young kids who can’t be arsed to work would have a real job to go to and not some pretend job that is a course designed just to get you off the dole figures.

ask not what the Dcpc can do for you BUT what you can do for it.
The cpc isn’t about what you know but what you’ve forgotton

Got mine booked for August

hitch:

It shouldn’t be. Something useful would have been far better, like a defensive driving course, ADR, Operator’s Office Techniques, & even All about the transport industry as a whole.

Winseer:

hitch:

It shouldn’t be. Something useful would have been far better, like a defensive driving course, ADR, Operator’s Office Techniques, & even All about the transport industry as a whole.

I did 2 Customer Service DCPC Courses.

Tosco are still a bunch of [ZB] [ZB] [ZB] [ZB] [ZB] [ZB] [ZB]ing [ZB]ers.

:smiley:

BillyHunt:

Winseer:
Update -

:

As a matter of interest where do you get that age figure from? I only ask as I’m doing mine in July, but if I didn’t I still wouldn’t be anywhere near 67 come September.

No reply so I’ll take it that those ages quoted are pish.

BillyHunt:

BillyHunt:

Winseer:
Update -

:

Retirement for most is at age 65. Most firms allow you to defer retirement upto age 67 already, in line with the “new” retirement age expected of us. That’s why it isn’t “60 and 62” or “75 and 77” or any other pair of numbers I could come up with, if I really wanted to pull something out of thin air here.

Right now, you might consider “leaving it until September” or even “Not bothering at all” - but for my remarks on age to be “pish”, I suggest you’d actually have to stick with what you’ve said, and indeed not ever do it. :smiling_imp: That would then prove my generalisation wrong wouldn’t it?

Winseer:

BillyHunt:

BillyHunt:

Winseer:
Update -

:

Retirement for most is at age 65. Most firms allow you to defer retirement upto age 67 already, in line with the “new” retirement age expected of us. That’s why it isn’t “60 and 62” or “75 and 77” or any other pair of numbers I could come up with, if I really wanted to pull something out of thin air here.

Right now, you might consider “leaving it until September” or even “Not bothering at all” - but for my remarks on age to be “pish”, I suggest you’d actually have to stick with what you’ve said, and indeed not ever do it. :smiling_imp: That would then prove my generalisation wrong wouldn’t it?

I’m a bit confused here, your opening line I quoted reads" those that won’t have done it by September will be aged 67 and over" I only asked where you get that figure from as, if I don’t do by September I’m well under that age. My company has me down to do it in July & I will be attending.

Let’s try putting it another way here:

There are those aged 67 and above who say they are ‘not doing their DCPC’.
There are those UNDER age 67 like yourself, who also might say the same.

Come September, the person about to retire because they MUST will obviously stick to their guns, and not do it.
Those under 67? - You can carry on working. Suddenly, there’s the need to get the DCPC done in all urgency, regardless of what one thinks of it.

So… “Come September, the only ones who have not done it, will be those actually over 67” - because you, and everyone else under 67 talking of not doing it right now, will have knuckled under by then.

Perhaps you’re an optimist who thinks there will be a nice local convenient place to do their 35 hours credit all on the first week of September?
I suggest even if such a course IS available, it will cost an absolute bomb to anyone not in full time employment, who are therefore responsible for getting it done themselves.
The trainers will have wound down their little training sideline for another five years, whereas those doing it on a rolling basis, will have long since done it via their full time employers. Who’s going to do the training for those who’ve hung it out? Only the spivs who know they can charge the earth from those about to lose their licence to drive for a living effectively.

I didn’t like being forced to do it either, but it looks like you’ve already knuckled under if you’re booked in for July - right?

If you either want or need to drive heavies for a living you have to get this stupid “qualification” under your belt.I know a few bus drivers who were sure that it would go away,it didnt.I would check out what training is available in your area before it really becomes a sellers market.