Are you a practising Christian?

Why reg:
Probably an unfair question as ‘Christmas’ hasn’t been a Christian festival since Coca-Cola introduced old red costumed Santa Claus.

I believe this is also a myth :wink:

I am a Christian, but there was a pagan celebration of the winter solstis or similar at the same time of year, a long time before Christianity so everyone can celebrate.

Was brought up C of E but in training (army) changed to Church of Scotland 'cos the (compulsory) church service only only lasted 10 mins with them as opposed to one hour with the other one.
After 2nd tour of bandit country in the early 80’s I changed to Atheist but found out I was always getting stuck for guard duties over Christmas and Easter so changed back to C of E.
As you can probably tell, religion don’t really do it for me.

ROG:
Me athiest but each to their own as long as they do not try to push their beliefs onto anyone else

This is what I meant about being pushy with a certain belief and how to start retributions

‘No God’ slogans for city’s buses

ROG:

ROG:
Me athiest but each to their own as long as they do not try to push their beliefs onto anyone else

This is what I meant about being pushy with a certain belief and how to start retributions

‘No God’ slogans for city’s buses

I object to having religion forced upon me, yet every English church you see has a sign outside asking for donations or advertising God squad festivals or psalms.

Imagine the uproar if the Mosques put up adverts outside their buildings advertising cheap flights to Babylon

At the last census,I think I put Jedi Knight :smiley:

I really shouldn`t fill in forms after a few drinks… :blush:

Wheel Nut:
I object to having religion forced upon me, yet every English church you see has a sign outside asking for donations or advertising God squad festivals or psalms.

A church near me had a similar sign outside a few years back… GOD SAVES

I didn’t even know he played football.

Christmas has never been a christian festival
the Council of Nicea borrowed the feast of Saturnalia in AD 325
and started to use it as the celebration of Christs birth
Easter is another pagan festival

when have the mainstream churches ever followed bible principles

Me, I’m agnostic, I believe there is something that created life but don’t believe in an almighty being.

Religion was invented to put fear into the masses to keep them in control, the problem is it got out of control

All religion is primative tribalism and a hangover from the days when superstition could explain things that contemporary science couldn’t.

killsville:
Of the 13 people that have so far answered that they are non-believers, how many of them celebrated Christmas? It is after all a Christian Festival!

I know this has been covered before, but very little of our Christmas festival has it’s root s in the celebrating the birth of Christ.

Father Christmas, Holy and Ivy, Christmas trees, yule logs, mistletoe and the Mid Winter festival all have there origins in Northern European paganism.
The same could be said for Easter.

The image of Father Christmas as we know it was invented by Coca-Cola in 1931 for an advertising campaign.

Father Christmas has a long and rich history, but up until 1931 he had been portrayed most often in black and white, or green and white. It was in that year, 1931, that Coca-Cola created an image of Father Christmas in red and white, for a Christmas advertising campaign.

The campaign was designed to encourage sales of Coke during the cold winter months (up until then Coke had mainly been a summer drink).

To achieve this campaign objective, Haddon Sunblom (the artist hired to work on the campaign), hit on the idea of making Father Christmas a Coke drinker. To add to the image Sunblom dressed him in the red and white of Coke.

The image of the ‘Coca-Cola Christmas’ has stuck with us, and the rest is history…

Harry Monk:
All religion is primative tribalism and a hangover from the days when superstition could explain things that contemporary science couldn’t.

I think you’ll find that Religion has more to do with power and control of the masses.
Bascially those in control of the religion live well, but stop those questioning them by saying it ordianed by the gods. If you behave you’ll get your reward or if you re bad you’ll get your punishment in the after life.

This is where Jesus is interesting, he lived as a pauper and tried to hold those in power to account for thier lavish lifestyle. This was radical stuff and of course, as today, those in power don’t like people who may upset thier good life, so he was got rid of.

Sadly most of those who control the Churches that profess to follow him also have more to do with power and keeping the majority down, with promises of a better tomorrow. It’s the same as Politicians, “Give me power today and I’ll give you a better tomorrow”, but tomorrow never comes.

This isn’t to say there aren’t some who see religion in other ways and believe in helping thier fellow man. I know members of a charity who run hostels in the Ukriane and all over Eastern Europe and help homeless and other in the UK. They do it because of thier Christian beliefs.
But they don’t preach to you, but it’s great when they finish a phone call with “bless you” when you’ve managed to help them out.

Melchett:

Wheel Nut:

Perhaps he has a building society account.

Jesus Loves You

Everyone else thinks you are a ZB :stuck_out_tongue:

Melchett:

Years and years ago there was a bridge on the Haverfordwest - Fishguard road with the words Jesus Saves painted on it. And underneath someone had daubed ‘But Dalglish knocks in the rebound’.

Years and years ago there was a bridge on the Haverfordwest - Fishguard road with the words Jesus Saves painted on it. And underneath someone had daubed ‘But Dalglish knocks in the rebound’.
[/quote]

That reminds me of Alf Garnett in Till Death Us Do Part, he was passing a church with JESUS SAVES on the poster. “NOT ON MY BLOOMIN PENSION HE DOESN’T” was his retort!
Seriously, I was brought up a Christian but nowadays I think that the bible is just a fantastic story that has been added to over the centuries. When man experienced the first thunderstorm, shooting star, meteorite etc he probably invented a reason for it, especially if his missus had just shouted at him!
Also it appears to have caused more problems in the world’s history than anything else. And no, I can take or leave Christmas, it does nothing for me.

Pete.

I just refuse to believe anything that is written in religion anymore. I saw this headline earlier today.

Church gives birth to a baby boy!

How ridiculous :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Imagine the uproar if the Mosques put up adverts outside their buildings advertising cheap flights to Babylon

As long as they’re one way tickets, seems like a plan to me! :laughing:

I go to church fairly regular ,on Saturday as it is SEVEN DAY ADVENTIST.however each to his own,variety is the spice of life.