Are we truck drivers?

a bit of a silly one this,but here we go…yesterday i was talking to a friend of a friend and they asked what i did for a living.i told them i was a truck driver.to which they replied.you cant be a truck driver because youre english,youre a lorry driver!! americans drive trucks,you drive lorries! WTF? :open_mouth: they then tried to dive me a lecture on the word TRUCK being american and that americans were proper drivers.i replied with quite a few things, one being that if the yanks are great at drivng then im glad they`ve eventually found something they can do properly :laughing: :laughing:

R.D:
a bit of a silly one this,but here we go…yesterday i was talking to a friend of a friend and they asked what i did for a living.i told them i was a truck driver.to which they replied.you cant be a truck driver because youre english,youre a lorry driver!! americans drive trucks,you drive lorries! WTF? :open_mouth: they then tried to dive me a lecture on the word TRUCK being american and that americans were proper drivers.i replied with quite a few things, one being that if the yanks are great at drivng then im glad they`ve eventually found something they can do properly :laughing: :laughing:

are you gay .[zb] there ideas n [zb] THERE MOMMAS

You should know the rules by now. K.

Call it what you want to mate, Truck driver, Lorry driver, Wagon driver, steering wheel attendant, and under paid, untrusted piece of [zb] job.

Well… doesn’t matter really does it!

I use the word truck and lorry depending on what comes out of my mouth at the time, no preference to either. It still means the same thing!

Alex

What we call pickups are called trucks in the states…i had trucks on my skateboard. i don’t think he had any trucking idea what he was talking about. :unamused:

Yanks also call a 3.5T van a truck.

I read an american book recently about someone kidnapped in “a truck”, which they gave the make & model of. The cover of the book showed an artic of some description, but when I checked the make & model on google, it turned out to be an american Transit-equivalent. Clearly less photogenic than a big HGV :laughing:

I suppose if this was the 1950’s your friend may have a valid argument.
However, today I don’t think it matters. I use both phrases.

I do prefer lorry though.

been said before but it must be a truck. otherwise this site would be
lorrynet,
or
juggernautnet

Just been looking at the word TRUCK on wikipedia/wikionary and the word comes from either

greek ‘trochoc’ meaning wheel or

Latin ‘trochus’ meaning iron hoop, wheel.

So if anybody tries to shout you down about it being an americanism - tell them to mind their iron hoop ■■?

sorry - greek should be ‘trochos’

I like to think of myself as a “Driveist”. :laughing: :smiley:

There was thread about this recently wasn’t there? What do you call your truck/wagon/lorry etc etc etc…

i think what i really thought was funny,and what i forgot to mention originally was.said plonker tried telling me that the yanks drive bigger vehicles,so they really are trucks and due to the size of the US,drive further.we live in a small country,hence shorter journeys and small lorries…not really truckers and not trucks!! :confused:

Next time you talk to sayed “plonker” (nice british word)
as him if he does his own reveresing , mates dad used to take great delight in annoying his yank cousin who also drove ,but acording to hime had to get special yard shunters in to do the reveres as they only drove from point to point

dont know if true but nice wee story lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: