Are trucks as bad as cars?

My Mondeo Tdci 130PS has cost loads of late, DMF, injectors, sticky turbo, mainly cos i drive it gentle for the MPG, are trucks now HDi? are they as bad as the new breed of car engines?

my cars on 177K miles

wandering round my mates HGV workshop I was stunned to see disc brakes on a triaxle trailer…shows how long ive been out the spares game!

dockspotter:
My Mondeo Tdci 130PS has cost loads of late, DMF, injectors, sticky turbo, mainly cos i drive it gentle for the MPG, are trucks now HDi? are they as bad as the new breed of car engines?

my cars on 177K miles

Sorry to say this but that engine is a pup. The 'Deo is a nice enough car but the engines are hateful, go wrong for a past time. That said, at 177,000 there’s not many cars that wont have a few problems.

To answer your question, yes most new trucks will be High Pressure Turbo.

Some are common rail (dci) which have electronic injectors but the real high pressure units use individual electronicaly controlled pumps which can lift injection pressure up to 2200 bar (30000 psi).The higher the pressure the cleaner the burn but this raises cylinder temperature so then you got to get into the add blue and egr crap.Common rail systems are pretty simple really.

DMFs cant be used on trucks as the changes in loading and torque levels would rip them to pieces in 10000 km.

The duratorq engine is a good donkey overall,got one with 180 thousand miles on it with the same injectors but you got to look after them eg magnets on the filter to stop swarf recirculation to stop ball and cup wear and injector cleaner every 5 thousand miles.

The DMF is a load of crap but its fitted to most cars now,just a way for the manufacturers to fit lightweight gearboxes and fleece you out of your money when it needs replacing

I unstuck my VGT with Mr Muscle…lol

the Mk4 Mondeo have a PSA (French) cambelt engine not my camchain unit

dockspotter:

I thought the mk4 mondeo, had either a 1.8 durtec lump (original design from 1980’s) but slowly up to date with turbo’s intercooler’s etc, or a Volvo D4 lump in it?

Yep Mondy TDCi is fine (if you like that sort of thing) until they go wrong, they turn into a serious money pit then.

Focii fitted with the 1.6 PSA Diesel suffers injector blow by which eventually restricts the turbo oilways, leading to obvious conclusions.

I’ve come away from Diesel cars after some 30 years running them, have no intention of getting another unless its so cheap as to be disposable the first time it coughs, DPF DMF LP pumps HP pumps coded unbelievably fragile injectors etc? no, i’ll stick with older petrol cars ta.

Commercials not as simple as they used to be, i doubt we’ll see the current generation of lorries at Gaydon in 40 years time…mind you not many of us will be there… :smiling_imp:

philgor:

dockspotter:

I thought the mk4 mondeo, had either a 1.8 durtec lump (original design from 1980’s) but slowly up to date with turbo’s intercooler’s etc, or a Volvo D4 lump in it?

Im never sure which engines come from where now (gone are the days of the ESSEX or COLOGNE) engines

the MK4 tdci is common across many cars, but it is i believe a PSA unit

my MK3 (cambelt) Dutarorq is - i think - a Mazda unit originally but Ford own Mazda