Are they still about?

Chris Webb:

jonnytruckfest:
An old scottish company I remember from growing up where my Granddad worked was Robert Hughes transport they used to own a fleet of ERF’s and the latest additions to the fleet before they went under they got a few Daf CF’s but I believe they were bought out by Andrew Black, if anyone could clarify that :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Do you mean this lot Jonny? Photo courtesy of Flatman…

This is in fact one of my photos crozierphotography.co.uk/pho … es_H___KFS and was taken at Craigwalls grain store, Chirnside.

Steven
crozierphotography.co.uk

Lawrence Dunbar:

Wheel Nut:
Who was the other strange sounding name from Armadale?

Something of Armadale :question:

Drummonds Transport green wagons lots of Albions in the good old days cheers Larry

Could you be thinking about Hugh Harper & Sons Ltd of Armadale now long gone .

You could be right, Hugh Harper if my memory is correct had ERF flat wagons, b ut carried Tanker type Loads, they were Green in colour very similar to Drummonds, very smart livery in both cases…, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
You could be right, Hugh Harper if my memory is correct had ERF flat wagons, b ut carried Tanker type Loads, they were Green in colour very similar to Drummonds, very smart livery in both cases…, Regards Larry.

Lawrence you are almost right in both cases , Hugh Harper did run ERFs and Albions ( flats ) , the other operator I suspect you are thinking about is almost certainly Andrew Hogg & Sons of Tranent who did run ERFs fitted with demountable tanks on a bitumen contract and were ultimately sold to United Transport .

What about the Shore Porters, they used to be the oldest haulage company in the UK?

Carlc:
What about the Shore Porters, they used to be the oldest haulage company in the UK?

hiya,
Been looked at further back in this thread and still very much “alive”, passed one
only yesterday going South on the A1M near the Washington services and very
smart it looked too.
thanks harry long retired.

Yes you are correct, about Andrew Hogg, Now I think one of their ERFs is still about ■■?, Im sure Ive seen it at one of the shows I go to ■■< The owners are honey producers ■■, My old memory is a bit ditherey at the minute, I will have to cocentrate a bit more, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Yes you are correct, about Andrew Hogg, Now I think one of their ERFs is still about ■■?, Im sure Ive seen it at one of the shows I go to ■■< The owners are honey producers ■■, My old memory is a bit ditherey at the minute, I will have to cocentrate a bit more, Regards Larry.

hiya,
Larry, memory not too clever, a shot or two of a decent drop of single malt works wonders,
I actually drink to forget, and what I want to forget I’ve forget, it’s a vicious circle mate.
thanks harry long retired.

hiya,
are john smillie of govan still going,always ran tidy ERFs,did they ever try anything different? used to go to their place for return loads in the 60s rarely use the m6 now so not a lot of chance seeing them,thanks harry long retired.

harry_gill:
hiya,
are john smillie of govan still going,always ran tidy ERFs,did they ever try anything different? used to go to theyr’e place for return loads in the 60s rarely use the m6 now so not a lot of chance seeing them,thanks harry long retired.

harry i could be wrong, think they are finished now, did you ever back load of tosh!! worked out of the cafe on stobbscross st,

hiya,
thanks botch,used lots of clearing houses when tramping out of the north west where i originate from (lived durham area 36 years) i can’t recollect ever using that one sorry to hear that smillie’s had gone seemed to keep their drivers and thats a good sign i knew a lot of the lads by name in the 60s ah well,thanks harry long retired

Sadly, Smillie’s have gone to the big Transport Cafe in the sky!
Along with almost every other haulage company in Glasgow.
Alex

alexsaville:
Sadly, Smillie’s have gone to the big Transport Cafe in the sky!
Along with almost every other haulage company in Glasgow.
Alex

What about D.M.Smith from Wishaw Alex,ran a lot of green ERF 4 wheelers?
Has he “pulled t’pin” as well?

Chris
DM Smith was bought by (if my memory serves me right!) by Trustwells. Their ‘depot’ is a bit of waste ground at the side of Happendon Services on the M74 near Douglas Lanarkshire. Most of us ‘Old’ drivers still refer to it as Cairns Lodge as it is the site of the old Cairns Lodge Cafe on the A 74 duel carriageway (Northbound).
Alex

alexsaville:
Chris
DM Smith was bought by (if my memory serves me right!) by Trustwells. Their ‘depot’ is a bit of waste ground at the side of Happendon Services on the M74 near Douglas Lanarkshire. Most of us ‘Old’ drivers still refer to it as Cairns Lodge as it is the site of the old Cairns Lodge Cafe on the A 74 duel carriageway (Northbound).
Alex

alex, these are some of the haulage companys that i used to back load off ,how many of these are left, houston bros,hunters airdrie, hunter wishaw,alexander bellshill, sam anderson,and mckevies motherwell, botch

alexsaville:
Chris
Alex

Would that beTruswells from Sheffield Alex? If so they have been going a long time but I think they are part of a pallet distribution network now - I’ve lost touch with a lot of old hauliers but botch in the next post mentioned Hunters from Airdrie who I remember very well(I used to stay over at Chapelhall just down the road) and the other was Houston Bros - was this the one from ■■■■■■■ known as Alex Houston?Sammy Anderson from Newhouse and McKelvies from Paisley are Scottish legends,no old wagon driver would ever forget them. :smiley:
There was another haulier I recall from Ayrshire, called Moores Motors who ran Scammell Highwaymen,did a lot of work in and out of Scottish Stampings at Ayr.I used to see 'em regular loading out of SPT (BSC) Sheffield in the 60s.
To go on about old Scottish hauliers would need another thread. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hiya,
any pics of john smillie’s stuff used to meet up with them regular they always looked tidy and can only remember ERFs thanks harry long retired.

botch & Chris
Truswells, I think it is the Sheffield firm.
Hunters of Airdrie, taken over many years ago by Harry Lawson who ran their Airdrie yard as a depot. The filling station is still there, but Lawsons are long gone.
Houston Bros, they are gone as well, I think they were from ■■■■■■■ too.
Moore Bros - gone!
Hunters Wishaw, also gone. Alexanders, dont remember them from Bellshill, there were two Alexanders in Coatbridge, both gone.
Sam Anderson, still on the go, also owns Mullens of Mussellburgh, and two down in Renfrewshire who’s name’s escape me for the moment.
McKelvies Motherwell became Strathclyde Transport. Now closed. However, their is another company calling itself Strathclyde Transport, nothing to do with the old one.
Alex

Thanks for that Alex.Nice to know Sam Anderson is still going. What about John Russell in Grangemouth with the powder tankers,I used to fill up there years ago.
Another name,amongst many,I remember was Smith of Drumclog on the A71 near Strathaven - the name Drumclog used to amuse me,like Crook of Devon. :laughing:

To go on about old Scottish hauliers would need another thread.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Well it’s your shout then.

I am racking my brains trying to remember some of them. Apart from John Mitchell. Macpherson, Sandy McCracken and James Hemphill, I used to watch dozens of them loading on King George V dock while in LD industries.