Are they having a laugh

Seen this advert for a Class 1 night job they have a cheek to say better money at night £15000-£19000
commercialmotorjobs.com/job/ … ackID=2971

Yes they are, someone will work for it too.

I’d rather be paid in rusty washers.

does say it is part time so depends on hours I guess.

Noticed it was middlesborough and stockton.Unfortunatly they can take the ■■■■ up here …because while osborne ,camoron, and the other idiot says ‘things are improving in the economy’.The way they would put it up this way ‘we gone from totally f***-all ,to next to nowt’

zeddman:
Noticed it was middlesborough and stockton.Unfortunatly they can take the ■■■■ up here …because while osborne ,camoron, and the other idiot says ‘things are improving in the economy’.The way they would put it up this way ‘we gone from totally f***-all ,to next to nowt’

Technically, while still not having much, that is an improvement.

Posts keep coming up saying how bad the pay is, but while drivers keep taking the jobs companies will think the pay is about right when drivers stop taking the jobs pay will go up.

There is no way to stop drivers from taking low payed jobs. There will always be someone willing to take them. All we can hope for is a driver shortage because other than that I can’t see any other alternative.

Some will take low paid work because it’s more than dole, some do it because they are cab happy and want to work every hour they can, not that any on here would admit that. Unfortunately not every driver is in a position to be offered £15 ph or more to start.
With the European floodgates well & truly open I wouldn’t be waiting for a driver shortage to help, not even after September.

:bulb: I’m waiting for insurance companies to pull the plug… We’re already getting signs of that with these outfits that try to get drivers to pay for their own damage now… If that’s every to become any kind of “norm”, then eventually there isn’t going to be any insurance to be had by anyone.

Then it’s all about attrition… Firm ‘A’ has 50 motors with minimum wage endorsed-licenced drivers. Firm ‘B’ has 50 motors with experienced and clean licence holders driving them.

How many of each set of 50 motors need to be smashed up before that firm gets into serious financial difficulties?

Imagine being a truck sent to W8 and smashing up one of them Lamborghinis?

If nothing else - firms operating in and around London should see some serious pay increments in exchange for being self-employed, and having their own insurances in place already. Once the Self-Employed/PAYE gap becomes large enough, other bods like myself will start to consider going the self-employed angle themselves. I reckon an extra tenner per hour might motivate me. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

All the while wages are low, it’s upto us to keep the job easy, and uncomplicated. Once wages rise, we might see skills come to the fore that previously were not considered as “skills”. Things like “The Knowledge” or “can drive stupid O’clock shifts without falling asleep” or “quite happy to do 12-15 hour shifts on a regular basis” etc etc…

The thing about ‘change’ is that no one sees it coming, only when it’s already been. Anyone predicting what is going to happen next year is considered to be “dreaming” before the event, “a visionary” if they get it right, and a “chump who left” if they get it wrong.
…Look at how many of us think the Government is going to drop DCPC at the last minute, because so many won’t have done it come september?
Nope. I reckon there will just be a lot of newly vacant jobs for the newly-arrived intake from southeastern europe… UNLESS the insurance clampdown has happened BEFORE september. Such a thing might even be sparked off by a strong showing in the EU polls by Ukip - “The country getting into wind-down mode” you might call it.

Meanwhile, anything can happen in the next half year. :bulb:

Slackbladder:
Some will take low paid work because it’s more than dole,

There is also another reason…To get experience,when I did my test,with my shiny new licence 26 years ago,I got told ‘sorry mate only want experienced men only’…the old catch 22,how do you get experience,simple .in the up to the minute,modern Logistics industry,you lie ,cheat and BS yer way ,working for pond scum agencies, and the crap companies,that will always have vacancies in a Great Depression.

We just have to hope that a lot of the old boys retire come September (yes, it’s not a nice thing to say). With foreign wagons dying down cause of the road levy and a shortage of drivers, rates will go up, wages will go up, and the amount of subbies will increase (hopefully)

This is becoming a bigger problem in all walks of life.

zeddman:

They’re improving the country of London’s economy, they don’t give a shart about the rest.

Reminiscent of the years gone by,what was called 10 bob and a bucket brigade or cab rats,give them a brand new scanny or volvo and a bucket for cleaning down,(in their own time) and 10 bob an hour,they would run forever.
Where as most drivers would settle for an old Atkinson / ERF or Leyland and get £1 ph.

My point exactly when I put this bit in.

Slackbladder:
Unfortunately not every driver is in a position to be offered £15 ph or more to start.

zeddman:

Slackbladder:
Some will take low paid work because it’s more than dole,

There is also another reason…To get experience,when I did my test,with my shiny new licence 26 years ago,I got told ‘sorry mate only want experienced men only’…the old catch 22,how do you get experience,simple .in the up to the minute,modern Logistics industry,you lie ,cheat and BS yer way ,working for pond scum agencies, and the crap companies,that will always have vacancies in a Great Depression.

There are not many in this game that start on top wages in the top jobs, you have to start at the bottom, usually on low pay until you’ve proved yourself. It’s easy to sit there having been around for years feeling smug about not having to work for peanuts, but let’s face it, these days there are not many in this game who can say they are guaranteed to be in work next year. Most of us are only one ■■■■ up away from having to take what’s offered by agencies/jobcentre.